Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

saab

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What about learning from the small countries which are the best to live in?
Denmark number 3, Sweden 5, Netherlands 8, Finland 9 and Ireland 10.
How about a quality life - is that not important?

Outside of EU are Norway number 1 and Switzerland number 2.
Outside of Europe are New Zealand, Canada and Australia.
cicerone imposter

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:13 pm
@saab,
I think the issue of "best country to live in" is myopic in its derivation. Small country vs large country. Countries with little or small numbers of cultures and races.
I prefer the ranking of "richest countries in the world." If California were a country, it would be the 6th richest country in the world, and we have many cultures and races that live here.
The climate is moderate, but the cost of living increases every year, especially the cost of housing. The price index for most consumer goods are higher here.
The average cost of a home in Silicon Valley is now over $1 million and climbing. There was an article in the San Jose Mercury News recently about how a couple in the professions have difficulty buying a home here. Many travel over 50 miles to work here, because this is the heart of the tech industry.
Google is planning to build a huge campus in San Jose.

saab

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
OK, so let us look at the richest countries instead of the best to live in.
Again it is more or less the small countries that win.
Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, San Marino, Norway, Ireland and Luxemburg all in Europe
Then there are USA and Singapore
Then comes some more rich countries which certainly in no way are the best
to live in as a woman or poor or sick and old.
Bahrain, Saudiarabia, Brunei, United Arabemirates, Kuwait, Qatar and
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:31 am
Brexit: EU citizen guarantees should have come much sooner, say British Chambers of Commerce

Quote:
Speaking at a Brussels summit dinner on Thursday, Ms May outlined five principles, including that no EU citizen resident in Britain at a specific cut-off date would be deported.

She promised to provide further details next week, but also said those EU citizens who had lived in Britain for at least five years would be guaranteed the right to stay for as long as they want.

She said that anyone who had been in the UK for less than five years would be allowed to stay until they reach the five-year threshold for "settled status" and that there would be no "cliff edge" scenarios.

Quote:
'This offer could have been made loudly and clearly nearly a year ago,' Adam Marshall, Director General of the British Chambers of Commerce, said
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Leading Brexit campaigner says 'vacuous' referendum should never been called
Quote:
Leading Brexiteer Gisela Stuart has described the EU referendum an “abuse of democratic process” and said she would rather it had never been called.

The former Labour MP and co-chair of Vote Leave said voters were faced with a “vacuous” choice last June and the handling of the fallout from the poll was “not good democracy”.

She added that she stood by her support for Britain quitting the bloc, but said there was no accountability on either side of the argument once the result had been announced and the campaign groups had disbanded.
[...]
“At that moment, we would have had clear questions,” she said, “so it wasn’t a question of one side or the other coming at each other with threats.

“You would have had a clear body. This is the text – this is what happens now – you can have this or you can have that.

“But Cameron just threw this vacuous question into the air.”

She added: “I think it was the right decision [to leave]. But given what I was asked [Yes or No to the EU] – there was no way I could endorse this.

“Was I signing up for my membership form for UKIP? No. But essentially what he did – he kind of forced a question – to which I could not say Yes.”
saab

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 05:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
As California is so rich why are there so many living just at or below the powertyline ?
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=261

Is that a plus, that people have to move out of California to be able to buy a house?
http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/04/pf/people-moving-out-california/index.html
I certainly prefer a country where there is equality for all its citizens and people can afford to have a home, without being ruined.
On the other hand I must admit that Sweden has more poor people now than just a few years ago living around the powerty line - especially retired people.
That is the case in many European countries.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 06:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brexit: May 'blocked unilateral offer for EU citizens' rights' last June
Quote:
Theresa May was the sole cabinet minister to block a unilateral offer to EU citizens that they could remain in Britain in the days following the referendum, according to an editorial in the London Evening Standard.

The paper, edited by former chancellor George Osborne, reports that David Cameron had prepared an offer to give EU citizens certainty in the days following the referendum result last June.

Cameron had already resigned and a leadership contest was under way in the Conservative party, but May and Osborne were still in post as chancellor and home secretary.

“Last June, in the days immediately after the referendum, David Cameron wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay,” the paper said. “All his cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his home secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it.”
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brexit: Donald Tusk says Theresa May’s offer to EU citizens will make their situation 'worse'
Quote:
[...]
Mr Tusk’s criticism comes after EU citizens in the UK protested that Ms May’s so-called “generous” offer – outlined last night - will leave them with fewer rights than firms trading across borders. ... ... ...

Ms May refused to reveal the cut-off date after which new arrivals will no longer be guaranteed the status, leaving many people uncertain of their UK residency.

And, crucially, she has vowed to fight the EU’s demand that future rights must be guaranteed by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) – a certain flashpoint over the months to come.

The 3million group, which represents EU citizens in the UK, described the offer as “neither fair or really serious”. “We really fear the loss of access to the ECJ,” said Anne-Laure Donskoy, a founding member.

... ... ...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 08:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
??? She LEADS the NO vote and then a year later says that the referendum question meant nothing. Go figure.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Young man, why don't you say what is on your mind about the import of this "visit on hold." Now if Santa's visit was put on hold, and he was coming from the north pole around Valentine's Day, I'd think that was newsworthy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I think the issue of "best country to live in" is myopic in its derivation. Small country vs large country. Countries with little or small numbers of cultures and races.
I prefer the ranking of "richest countries in the world." If California were a country, it would be the 6th richest country in the world, and we have many cultures and races that live here.
The climate is moderate, but the cost of living increases every year, especially the cost of housing. The price index for most consumer goods are higher here.
The average cost of a home in Silicon Valley is now over $1 million and climbing. There was an article in the San Jose Mercury News recently about how a couple in the professions have difficulty buying a home here. Many travel over 50 miles to work here, because this is the heart of the tech industry.
Google is planning to build a huge campus in San Jose.

I thought some Mejicanos already refer to California by its Aztec name. It might become its own country unofficially. One might tiene que aprender Espanol. Si?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 24 Jun, 2017 07:28 pm
@saab,
Quote:
I certainly prefer a country where there is equality for all its citizens and people can afford to have a home, without being ruined.

You might like Russia, Cuba or China.

I prefer capitalism with all its faults. It promotes innovation and wealth for anyone who studies, creates and/or works hard. It's equal opportunity.

Many wealthy people contribute to their community, state, country and/or world.

Sad to report that California is next to last in charitable giving. I can understand a little about that ranking; the cost of living in California is very expensive.

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indicators/cost_of_living/
saab

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 01:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
China, Russia and Cuba have in no way any form of equality for its citizens.

When you think I am for the dictator countries and communism because I like
the combination of capitalism and equal chances for people - shows you have not learned one single thing on all your trips about the countries you have seen whatever it has been the very poor in Asia or Africa or the well balanced
and rich countries in Europe.
What you just have written put you to the right of Trump. I have met Americans like you - at that time it was Bush - was far too much to the left for them.

The majority of the European countries support capitalism and still are for
equal chances for its people.
And many people - even the not so rich not only pay their taxes but support
also charities.
Many people also support their church and shows respect for others.

saab

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:16 am
@saab,
As you earlier kind of pointed out there is more cultures in larger countries than in smaller ones I can tell you:
Sweden has five officialy minority languages and at least 150 different languages are spoken because of the refugees and other foreigners. Many of them do not speak Swedish or speak it not very well. It is not easy for kids to
learn when several in a class speak different languages.
Culture is much more than some foreigner living in another country.
McDonalds certainly does not represent the best of USA food or culture just
as little as spagetti and icecream represents the best of Italy or kebab the Turkish culture.
Chinese food as we know here often in rather cheap restaurants has little to do
with the traditions and ceremonies of China. It is good and I like it, but it certainly does not really give me any of the Chinese culture.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:35 am
http://www.courrierinternational.com/sites/ci_master/files/styles/image_original_765/public/assets/images/image_9.png?itok=8vrqmccb
lmur

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:42 am
@Olivier5,
I'm not entirely sure that's actually a mock-up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:01 pm
@saab,
You wrote,
Quote:

I prefer a country the provides equal opportunity for all, not equal living standards for all.
saab

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You certainly can twist things around - there is no country with equal living
standards for all and there has never been one and there will never be one.

You want equal opportunity for all -
Quote:
It promotes innovation and wealth for anyone who studies, creates and/or works hard

What about the ones are not good enough to study, the ones who cannot create
jobs and the ones who cannot work hard?
What about the handicapped, the retarded, the mentally handicapped, the weak ones, the one who never got a good start in life, all those who racially has been discriminated against - the list is long.....
Thanks to all the Americans who thinks differently than you do and are willing to help these people and see to that they also get a good start in life.

saab

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I, for one, will never again vote for a republican in any election.
I'm an Independent.

Just happened to see that you said the above some other place here.
I can´t belive it! You an Independent and not a republican. You who think
that someone is a communist as soon as they believe in the European way of thinking of equality, as a mixture of capitalism and equality for its citizens and social democracy.
If you are an independent how bad are then the republicans.
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:14 pm
@saab,
Opportunity for all means helping the disabled meet their potential. I worked in management (as director of administration) for a nonprofit that provided programs for the developmentally challenged. I quit my lucrative consulting business to work there full time.
0 Replies