Should "it's a ways out" be "it's a way out"?

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:58 am

Context:

Researchers hope to turn such hints into a deep understanding of what boredom is, how it manifests in the brain and how it relates to factors such as self-control. But “it's a ways out before we're answering those questions”, says Shane Bench, a psychologist who studies boredom in the lab of Heather Lench at Texas A&M University in College Station. In particular, investigators need better ways to measure boredom and more reliable techniques for making research subjects feel bored in the lab.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-boredom-is-anything-but-boring/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:06 am
@oristarA,

it's a ways out is a colloquial way of saying something is a long distance/time away

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/a-ways-off.581279/

it's a way out is an idiom for excuse

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/idiom.html
dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:22 am
@ehBeth,
Golly Beth you beat me to it
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 12:48 am
@oristarA,
You're right, Oris, in the sense that, in formal English, you would say "a way out," not "a ways out," if you mean it's distant or remote.

Kids say things like "it's for reals," instead of "it's for real." Pretty soon, some people start treating these deviations as if they are "proper" English. They aint. But they aint nuthin wrong with them, neither.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 11:28 am
@layman,
Good'n Lay, made my day
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 04:43 pm
'A ways' is not just childish slang, it is found in regional US dialects, mainly Southern.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 04:52 pm
I would dissent only so far as to say it's a "country boy" usage, north or south.
Stteeephhy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 02:43 am
@oristarA,
Yes
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 12:57 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I would dissent only so far as to say it's a "country boy" usage, north or south.

And, as always, without a shred of proof. The fella who spoke these words was from a university.

The definition from M-W gives 3 examples from print media. What drives you to provide your obviously uninformed opinions when you are so often wrong, Setanta?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 02:23 pm
"It's a ways out," seems appropriate to me when meaning somewhere far out in the country. There's another southern saying, more country dialect than "It's a ways out". "It's a fer piece." I've heard that from time to time.
camlok

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 02:28 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
"It's a ways out," seems appropriate to me when meaning somewhere far out in the country.

That is not how it was used in the original post, coluber. As Beth noted, it is also used for time.

0 Replies