AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND THE OSCARS

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:03 am
Last year, the persons of minority (ethnicity/race) status were completely ignored/snubbed in the acting nominations department. The same thing happened this year. Should actors of different minorities be given a little more weight in the nomination department for acting? Writing? Direction? A quota could or should be established?

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Bryan Cranston for Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant
Michael Fassbender for Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne for The Danish Girl
Matt Damon for The Martian

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett for Carol
Brie Larson for Room
Saoirse Ronan for Brooklyn
Jennifer Lawrence for Joy
Charlotte Rampling for 45 Years

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Mark Rylance for Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone for Creed
Tom Hardy for The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo for Spotlight
Christian Bale for The Big Short

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Jason Leigh for The Hateful Eight
Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs
Rachel McAdams for Spotlight
Rooney Mara for Carol

SIDENOTE: It is kind of funny to see that the writers for Straight Outta Compton (Andrea Berloff, Jonathan Herman, S. Leigh Savidge, Alan Wenkus) are all white.

Oscar Nominations Expose Academy’s Lack of Diversity
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,474 • Replies: 19
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:22 am
Denzel needs more work apparently.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 04:00 pm
@tsarstepan,

POLL: Will You Boycott This Year’s Oscars?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Charlotte Rampling Says Oscar Diversity Outcry Is ‘Racist to Whites’
http://i63.tinypic.com/ao5jev.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:30 am
Hiring of varied actors and scripts with more varied characterization logically proceeds before best films are selected for Oscars.. and before that, more varied studio executives, directors, cinematographers, and so on - all of which seems like Never to Happen, thus will Hollywood movie-ville lose a lot of interest over time, or so I think. Of course, all american film making isn't by the bigger studios, so I think the whole selection and voting process needs some fixing too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:10 pm
Ostensibly, the members are "short-listing" the best candidates. S9o-called affirmative action has no place in such a process.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Like any artistactors produce their works. Only difference between an actor and a painter is that a painter can remain racially anonymous and only their work products are judged..

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 02:27 pm
It's a bemusing spectacle. No one complains about the coloration of awardees in the Black Entertainment Network in their annual events. Perhaps the Black Caucus in the Congress will soon joint the fray (by the way they have previously denied admission to Black Republican Congressmen). Meanwhile the Hollywood elites are offended at the apparent lack of gratitude among the lesser beings for all the (distant) idealogical support they have provided in many of their works, productions and political actions.

Others complain that "the system" needs improvement, forgetting that these actions are the work of a private, self-governing professional association that itself does not (as far as I am aware) systematically discriminate in its membership. It's their system to fix, not ours.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:24 pm
@georgeob1,
Several of my family members were part of old time and later Hollywood. I was raised reading The Hollywood Reporter, and Variety. My birth was mentioned there. I get to have an opinion of the system. I do not forget that the actions are the work of a private self governing association. Hollywood has more than one association.

So do others, whose families weren't embedded in the long time system, get to have an opinion.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:28 pm
@ossobuco,
No argument there. I have an opinion about the system too, but no need or desire to inflict it on anyone else. The situation is full enough of irony already.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 10:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Interesting turn of events today.

This reformation of the future voting base of the Academy voters is a good start. It manages to add diversity to the voting base without actually instituting a quota (which I was personally against in the first place).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Interesting article I'm only halfway through reading - part of the Annals of Hollywood series:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/11/the-mogul-of-the-middle

It's not immediately relevant to the Oscar business, but not unrelated in the long run.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:07 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It's a bemusing spectacle. No one complains about the coloration of awardees in the Black Entertainment Network in their annual events.

Do you know why was there a Negro Baseball League? Because pro baseball was really white pro baseball. When baseball really integrated, there wasn't a need for the Negro Leagues anymore. Do you know why they have the BET awards? Because black actors couldn't get recognition in the White Entertainment award show. When Hollywood fully integrates, you won't need the BET awards. But just so you know, this is the BET winner for best new artist for 2015.

http://www.bet.com/news/music/2015/06/28/sam-smith-bet-awards-best-new-artist/_jcr_content/featuredMedia/newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg/062915-music-sam-smith.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:12 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
No one complains about the coloration of awardees in the Black Entertainment Network in their annual events.

there have been plenty of complaints about the existence of the network - and their award events
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:14 pm
@Setanta,
Heard on the CBC the other night that the membership is being entirely revamped - lots of old members being excised.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:16 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/academy-awards-oscar-changes/426702/

Quote:
But as my colleague David Sims noted earlier this week, “The Oscars are a more than 6,000-member organization, and even after admitting a larger, diverse group of new members last year, its voters remain 93 percent white and 76 percent male.”

To enact the changes, the Academy will now require an evaluation of the voting status of its members once a decade, which may allow a purging of inactive industry members from the voting ranks. But don’t expect Old Hollywood to skulk away down Wilshire Boulevard without a fight. After all, Academy membership is for life.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:17 pm
@ehBeth,
https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-takes-historic-action-increase-diversity

Quote:
Beginning later this year, each new member’s voting status will last 10 years, and will be renewed if that new member has been active in motion pictures during that decade. In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three ten-year terms; or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award. We will apply these same standards retroactively to current members. In other words, if a current member has not been active in the last 10 years they can still qualify by meeting the other criteria. Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status. Emeritus members do not pay dues but enjoy all the privileges of membership, except voting. This will not affect voting for this year’s Oscars.

At the same time, the Academy will supplement the traditional process in which current members sponsor new members by launching an ambitious, global campaign to identify and recruit qualified new members who represent greater diversity.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ok, that's interesting.

smiles

Thank you for chasing all that down.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Native American advocates say Leonardo DiCaprio‘s film is a watershed for minorities in film, but is ignored amid the Hollywood diversity debate

Does #OscarsSoWhite Controversy Overlook Diversity in ‘The Revenant’?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:49 am
@tsarstepan,
The AMPAS reforms are starting....

Will Academy’s #OscarsSoWhite Makeover Begin With New Election, Board Meeting?
0 Replies