Paradox examples from songs or books

jojos13

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 08:44 pm
My teacher had given us a project to find 10 paradoxes in songs or books and I thought I had it in the bag when I was doing it but I guess not. So I failed that project and she won't let me re-do it so I was wondering if anyone could give me some examples of what a paradox is because I apparently don't understand and the way she teaches it to me doesn't make sense. So if you could post some examples froms books and songs that would be great and if you know the pages from the books that would also be great I have a kindle that I can download books for free so maybe I can study for paradoxes on my final. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,261 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:03 pm
@jojos13,
Here are three examples given from Merrian Webster's definition of pardox, there are more there:
Mr. Guppy propounds for Mr. Smallweed's consideration the paradox that the more you drink the thirstier you are and reclines his head upon the window-sill in a state of hopeless languor. —Charles Dickens, Bleak House, 1852-53

It is a paradox that computers need maintenance so often, since they are meant to save people time.

As an actor, he's a paradox—he loves being in the public eye but also deeply values and protects his privacy.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paradox

As for songs, I can't think of any offhand, but I am sure there are some.
Blickers

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:13 pm
@Blickers,
Here's an example from a song, My Back Pages by the Byrds, written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan. It contains a line in the chorus, "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:20 pm
@jojos13,
What did you give the teacher as your examples?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:15 am
@jojos13,
Well known paradox song...
'There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_Hole_in_My_Bucket
0 Replies