Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 02:20 pm
Engineer comes back with some very useful responses, this one on the diff between 14/2 and 14/3

http://able2know.org/topic/308109-1

In this connection I'm looking for a device that I'm not sure exists but if it does what's it's called: It would have various forms, probably the most popular a disc placed under the bulb in an outlet, or a loose 2-wire device placed in series with the load

It might be programmed in several different ways, but typically it toggles on and off so as to provide sequencing to appliances. Suppose in the former instance you have two bulbs in different rooms controlled by a single switch, but you don't always want 'em both to be on at the same time. Typically then they'd sequence as (1) Room 1 only; (2) Room 2 0nly; (3) Both on (4) Both off

I imagine a huge market for gadgets of this sort and so I've supposed it already exists; though I don't know what it's called
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,457 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 05:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
How many times
Probably 'til I get an answer

However, given the slightly different wording and a more interesting example (I hope) might get a response, especially let's say from a newcomer

But what's wrong with that? Anyone else feeling terribly angry at all times about almost everything is invited not to access my postings; I won't be the least bit offended
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 05:32 pm
@dalehileman,
Hire a wiring guy/gal. Just make sure they're Diamond certified.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks Cis but by chance do you know of any such gadgets as I describe
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 05:43 pm
@dalehileman,
The only thing close to what you're looking for that we have in our home is a remote switch to turn on/off a lamp in the living room. You must have heard of the clapper. Wink
engineer

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:36 pm
@dalehileman,
A lot of room lamps do this using a canopy switch. One click the bottom light comes on, two the top, three both, four off. Are you looking for something programmable? That is a lot more involved.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 12:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You must have heard of the clapper
Indeed Cis but wondering what you think of my proposal
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 01:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Try this: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=programmable+sequencing+of+electric+power&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cis thank you for that link but to save me an afternoon of Googling, I'm sure such sequencing is available but do any of such devices operate at 115 as an independent means of controlling the typical home load, preferably as supplied to satisfy a typical household sequence and; if so especially, eg, as a disc placed under the lamp

Be assured it's on my agenda and eventually I'll conduct the search but yardwork calls plaintively; while meanwhile apologizing for my apparent laziness

Thanks again
0 Replies