How does an absurdist live their life?

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:18 pm
I understand the main concepts of absurdist philosophy, but I am struggling to find how to apply absurdism to the real world. I constantly find myself thinking that none of what I am doing has any meaning, and even that humanity doesn’t have meaning. However, when faced with this, how does one still love others or work to help others instead of becoming completely self-serving, because if there’s no meaning why not seek only to improve one’s own life? If nothing matters, why should you care if a family member dies or some other tragic event occurs? I am wondering this because even after deciding to “become an absurdist” and trying to apply absurdism to my life, I still get wrapped up in all the worries of life. Maybe I don’t actually understand absurdism that well, but I always find myself worrying about the future and holding onto hope, and I don’t know how to “embrace the absurd” like Camus describes Sisyphus as doing. I guess what I am really struggling to understand is what the life of a real absurdist is like in today’s world, and how they can find happiness. Do they actually give up all hope and worries and simply live in the present?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,056 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:31 pm
@AP Assignment,
Think of all the people who work to help others - and even animals. Hospitals are filled with those kind of people. The Cancer Society, Habitat for Humanities, Second Harvest Food Bank, Doctors Without Borders, Teachers, Social Workers, and all those John Does and Jane Does who volunteer at your local hospitals, libraries, shelters, and food banks.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:42 pm
@AP Assignment,
Hi and welcome to the forum. It's good to see that you're actually experimenting with the real-life application of philosophy, rather than treating it as just another academic subject.

I can't speak for absurdists, not being one, but I think that among the reasons we care for family and others and don't become despicably selfish is that we didn't evolve those traits in the first place, and for most of us, our environment discouraged those traits during our developmental years. Just my 2 Cents
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 11:54 am
@AP Assignment,
Aaah, you need a candy...get a chocolate n move on !
0 Replies