Seed in a stone

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:00 pm
Hi I'm in the uk and I found a large seed when I hit a fist size stone and the seed was inside, have got many pictures, I have all the stone fragments bar one tiny bit. I was digging footings for building work and was found about a meter down , very stony and compacted, if anyone can help identify the seed and age I will give you first offer for your collection

dalehileman

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:34 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
Wow Laz, many of us would like to see it

So, unlike me too lazy to learn how....
rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:46 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
Hi Lee, we'll need to see it in order to help of course. Just post your photo's to any online photo site and then post a link to them here. Then we can see what you found. Thanks.
Lazereyelee73

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 03:56 pm
@rosborne979,
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B09JtdOXmzZYMn

Hope this works
Lazereyelee73

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Think I may be to stupid to tell if you are the piss out of me or yourself dalehileman Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:20 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
It worked. Where did you find this geographically. Do you know if it's in a known fossil deposit area, and if so, how old the geology is?

That thing looks like an acorn at first glance, but the five radial ridges along the bottom and going up the side remind me of Sea Urchin patterns. Modern Sea Urchins have a more spherical shape, but very ancient ones might have an acorn shape like that. I don't know. I would have to look it up. But if that rock was found in layers which are hundreds of millions of years old, then it might be an ancient Urchin of some type. On the other hand, if the rock is from recent layers and it's a clay origin, then maybe it is some type of acorn embedded in the clay.
Lazereyelee73

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:43 pm
@rosborne979,
Ilford,London/Essex,England is where I found it, I will find out more of the geology and have never heard of any fossil finds. If I head north towards Barkingside/ hainalt we have several meters of clay before hitting stone, where as Ilford is on the edge of old marshland,up to a meter of good soil.
Thank you for your interest, will keep you updated my friend.
Feel free to find a match for it
0 Replies

Lazereyelee73

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:52 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B09JtdOXmzZYMn
0 Replies

Lazereyelee73

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 05:54 pm
@rosborne979,
After a quick look online I'm 97.3% convinced it's a sea urchin, very good eye and knowledge you have there my friend but yet to find a pic of a very similar one, getting late now so will look into the geology and dig a little deeper 😁Tomorrow. Thanks again, chat soon
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 06:31 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
1Find a geology map of your area (they are all over the web)

2get a book on fossils of Echinoderms, Echinoids, or Crinoids (Im sure its one of these groups)

3Compare the picture in the book with yours (Id suggest a book like the "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology" or "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore Lalicker and Fisher.(4th Ed I believe).

The Treatise... is on the web but is a reference mostly organized for pros. Its easily used by following the above groups and just compare the pictures. Dont bother with the bullshit, thats for the conehead researchers.

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
ps, pour some vinegar on the main rock that contained the "Seed". If it fizzes your definately one of those critters. They formed limestone banks and hung out on reefs
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:09 pm
@Lazereyelee73,
Lazereyelee73 wrote:
After a quick look online I'm 97.3% convinced it's a sea urchin,

Only 97.3% convinced huh? I guess I'll have to do better next time to get you up to 97.5% Smile

Also, I noticed some other features on the rock matrix which look like they might be shell imprints. If there are shells embedded in the same matrix, then it's even more likely to be an Urchin of some type.

If that is an Urchin then you've got a really cool fossil there. It's a 3 dimensional fossil of the entire organism (or exoskeleton of the organism in this case) instead of just the fossilized imprint. I've seen trilobites and brachiopods fossilized like this (in 3D), but not many other things.
0 Replies