Invisibility cloak

Tuna

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 08:02 am
I'm not sure why this sort of technology would be investigated other than that it's really cool.

Quote:
First up, we'll look at some wonderful carbon nanotube fashions -- fresh from the UTD NanoTech Institute fall 2011 collection. This new technology is inspired by the same natural phenomena responsible for desert mirages. Heated via electrical stimulation, the sharp temperature gradient between the cloak and the surrounding area causes a steep temperature gradient that bends light away from the wearer. The catch: Wearers must love water and be able to fit inside a petri dish.
Or perhaps you'd prefer something made from metamaterials. These tiny structures are smaller than the wavelength of light. If properly constructed, they guide rays of light around an object -- much like a rock diverting water in a stream. For now, however, the technology only works in two dimensions and only comes in the ultrapetite size of 10 micrometers across.
If you're more into retro fashion, there's also the optical camouflage technology developed by scientists at the University of Tokyo. This approach works on the same principles of the blue screen used by TV weather forecasters and Hollywood filmmakers. If you want people to see through you, then why not just film what's behind you and project it onto your body? If you travel with an entourage of videographers, this may be the cloak for you.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 683 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 04:24 am
There was a good science fiction story written by some kid in the 1960s about a string of robberies, the nature of which suggested that the perpetrator was using an invisibility device of some kind. So the protagonist (a kid) suggests setting up the perpetrator by advertising a famous diamond to be on display at a particular place. The criminal is captured because the alarm system trips a set of paint sprayers which negate the effect of his invisibility cloak. I thought that was clever.
0 Replies

puzzledperson

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 08:48 pm
@Tuna,
Don't forget the use of mirrors, which goes back at least to nineteenth century stage magic. The mirror reflects something in front or to the side of the object to be concealed. Using a series of mirrors or a combination of mirrors and video cameras, it might be possible to reflect posterior objects and scenes or even remote scenes.

Then there is camouflage, which makes something look like something else. Rommel built tank frames and mounted them on Volkswagens, to create the illusion of larger forces.

Blind spots can also be produced by distraction. Looking in the direction of something and seeing (perceiving) it are two different things.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:01 pm
@puzzledperson,
The US used cardboard tanks.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:15 am
@Tuna,
If I was invisible, I wouldn't be here right now. I would be down at the women's dormitory, in the shower room, eh?
0 Replies