MUST SEE PLACES IN THE UK

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:05 am
'oweva, thee can use t' online translator 'eear an' orl, margo:

Yorkshire Translator
0 Replies

yorkshire

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:20 am
Well depending on which aussie is playing for Yorkshire next year she should get herself to Headingley to see Yorkshire's promotion charge in full flow. In fact one of the few aussie failures in County cricket last year was Darren Lehman's tenure as Yorkshire captain, but we'll gloss over that. He'd done fantastically the year before in winning us the championship, I guess he just couldn't take the additional stress of being captain.

Walter-that Yorkshire translater's brilliant, and no doubt practical for non-natives Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:39 am
Well, yorkshire, it works - but only one-way!

(Very interesting that -like here in Germany- you find in Yorkshire 'Wessies' and 'Easties'!)
0 Replies

yorkshire

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:05 am
lol

Thankfully there's no wall to protect us from the dangerous subversives of Kingston Upon Hull. Very Happy

I've often wondered about that-despite Sheffield being on the extreme southern edge(a third of the city is technically in Derbyshire, I think), my relatives from York refer to us as wessies. It's because there's no South Riding, but we hate Leeds, the 'capital' of west Yorkshire. Well maybe hate is a bit strong, but we don't like them anyway. Laughing

And you don't really need to understand what Yorkshire people say-it'll become clearer after a few beers anyway.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:09 am
How's football going in Yorkshire

York City?
Halifax?
Bradford City?
Leeds Utd?
Sheffield Wednesday?

And where are Middlesbrough these days? I mean which county?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:22 pm
yorkshire

Fancy Darren Lehmann not working out as Yorkshire captain. (perhaps it was the material he had to work with!?) Hasn't done too badly though! In 1999 he hit the final runs that won us the World Cup. Last month he made the catch that won us the World Cup again. Two in a row. He was also part of the team that beat the Poms 4-1 in the recent Ashes series. You can't ask much more of the lad!

Fairly typical Aussie humour, as well!
0 Replies

yorkshire

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 06:27 pm
lol

Middlesborough are yorkshire rejects since the mid 70s, I think. An invasion force will be massed to reclaim 'Cleveland' just as soon as we can persuade George W to include them in the axis of fairly evil.
Cool

Please. lets not talk about football. It's just too painful at the moment. Wednesday are bottom of division 1, soon to be relegated to division 2. United are riding high in the league and in the semi final of the FA cup. We still get bigger crowds than them tho-20,000 to watch us lose every week. It's heart breaking.

margo-I love him really. He just bowled himself a bit too much last year when we had the best english spinner(Richard Dawson) available on turning tracks. I think more blame could be attached to the coach, Wayne Clark, who we signed from, er, Western Australia. Crying or Very sad Martin Moxon left us for Durham because the mambers wouldn't give him a 2-year contract!! Typical Yorkshire cricket.

And yes, australia pretty much rules the sporting world just now. You're lucky I don't like rugby union though.....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:47 pm
Oh, well, yorkshire

Oz currently holds the William Webb Ellis trophy as well - the Rugby World Cup!

World Cup again later this year - in Oz.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:46 am
All this when there was a *specific* request not to talk abt sport <Puzzled look>
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:54 am
it's the gloating aussiecats fault Razz
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 02:15 am
<mutters> they beat everyone in sport and they think that they are the kings of the world <more mutters>
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:31 am
maybe it's because they're way down there at the bottom of the planet. inferiority complex i think. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:07 am
Must see places in the UK? Here's some on the top of my list: The London: British Museum and Library, National Gallery, V&A Museum; Greenwich: Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory; Stonehenge, York, Oxford, (for Shakespeare fans, Stratford upon Avon), some of the Castles. I'm sure there are many more places, but I'll need to think about them before posting them. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:52 am
Hey CI, you ever go to Windsor at any time. I lived there for a while, back in the days of youre.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:05 pm
oak, Yes, been to Windsor with my wife, but that was many years ago. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:41 pm
Nice town, gets crowded at times but has a lot to offer for a day trip.
If the soldiers are there in barracks you need to be carefull at weekends in the evenings, when the local hardhead civvies come down from Slough looking for a fight and go home either in an ambulance or a police car
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
pppffffttttttthhhhhhhttt!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Why is Gautam wearing new clothes?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:25 pm
That's his regular dress when in India. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:43 pm
He obviously thinks he is Ghandi reincarnated
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:38 pm
... Very Happy
0 Replies