MUST SEE PLACES IN THE UK

fresco

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
I think favourite spots for natives are pretty subjective. My own view of London for example (speaking as a Mancunian) is that despite its obvious cultural enticements, "Tourist London" is expensive, impersonal and and short of Brits ! Many native Londoners, by the way, rarely go to the West End.

I have suggested to American visitors the following possibilities.

1. The Dorset coast and hinterland in Summer. This is Thomas Hardy country - very pretty and exuding perhaps that air of nostalgia and preciousness which bolstered the "defence of our island mentality"with imminent invasions lurking fom across the channel (..viewed shimmering through half closed eyes as you stretch out on a cliff top with skylarks/spitfires overhead.....)

2. The town of Hay-on-Wye. An anachronism ! A little place on the Welsh border bulging with second hand book shops. (Try Hay-on-Wye via GOOGLE).

3. Skipton in Yorkshire. A small market town. Vist the castle and take a trip on the Leeds-Liverpool canal which meanders calm green and almost riverlike round the foot of the Dales, after over 200 years of once bleak industrial history.

4.Edinburgh and then The west coast of Scotland above Oban.

5. Chester. A good alternative to York and then to Llangollen and Snowdonia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:02 pm
Well, not to forget what good old Count Alexis de Toqueville said:"Manchester is large, opulent, well-built. The women are esteemed handsome. Manchester is the best regulated town in England." [Next to Stockport, I might add.]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:07 pm
Off the top of my head, I'd add Greenwich; the international date line and museum, the Maritime Museum, and the Cutty Sark. Give me a few minutes to think of places or things not to miss. c.i.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:12 pm
Walter...give me a couple of addresses of those "handsome women" (without moustaches) !
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:18 pm
Here's a website of something else that would be worth finding in the UK... big old trees:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~gerdien14/english13.htm

------------

fresco -- We thought the scenery became more & more beautiful as we drove north from Oban...

We'll have to consider Dorset next time -- I like Thomas Hardy!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:22 pm
Well, fresco, wait some time and make a tour through ... e.g. Castlefield.

And 'no', I don't give the addresses away, want to go there next time again! :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:24 pm
Piffka

It really is worth doing so!

http://members.aol.com/thardy1001/

http://www.thomashardy.co.uk/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:28 pm
Somebody already mentioned Kew Gardens and York, so I'll second those. For tennis fans, I'd recommend a visit to Wembledon to see their museum. The Imperial War Museum is very good for WWII fans. I'd also recommend doing a London Walk. I met the owner many years ago on the Chelsea Walk. The London zoo has pandas, and Hyde Park is always intersting on a nice summer day. All first time visitors should not miss the following: British Museum & Library, National Gallery, 10 Downing Street, Tower of London, Harrods for tea, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's (basement museum), Covent Gardens & Transportation Museum, Buckingham Palace (changing of the guards), Picadilly Circus, and the Underground. Those that have some extra time for day tours should include Stonehenge, Bath, York, Stratford upon Avon to see Shakespear's home, and Cardiff. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:33 pm
The Stonehenge, Old Sarum, Salisbury trip is a nice combination.

Oxford is a pretty town, good for walkers, good for bookstores.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:49 pm
Piffka, Did you know that Oxford actually has over 100 colleges? c.i.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:16 pm
A delightful interaction...very helpful.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:23 pm
Over 100? No. I knew there were a lot!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
[Well, actually there are just 39 official Colleges of the University and six Permanent Private Halls.]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
Walter, I guess as we get older and more senile, we tend to exaggerate a little. I accept your number. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:50 pm
Ha Ha Mapleleaf returneth to the hacienda. Another hard day at the coalface, hewing nuggets of knowledge.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 06:11 pm
Ahhh, CI... double and 10%... standard contracting estimate, right? :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 06:43 pm
No, simple "old age syndrome." Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 11:36 am
Fresco

Diego Forlan!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 11:59 am
Steve -- Are you being rude about the Argentinian???

I have been looking at a nice website of Dorset:

http://www.imagesofdorset.org.uk/

One of the things I love about the UK is the excellent mapping system. This website is wonderful for both the detailed drawings and the photo images. It does seem most helpful if you know the postal code.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:06 pm
piff

no I thought fresco might appreciate the last minute winning goal by the Uruguain (!)
0 Replies