Uygyininan
Ugyugyn

Well whatever he's not Argentinian
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:11 pm
Piffka --- have you looked at the ordnance survey map site

http://www.ordsvy.gov.uk/

If maps interest you, they have great things to look at and downloads of scenic shots for use as d/top wallpaper and other stuff, inc. free maps. It's in fun and free section.
There's a load of other stuff on the site as well
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:36 pm
Steve - Oh cool. I thought you were tweaking that non-Argentinian because he had long hair (handsome un-moustachioed women...) I was trying to find a connection. Anyway... Sorry, Sorry, Sorry. A thousand pardons to any Manchester Fans. Hope to see that goal sometime msyelf. Maybe they'll show it here in the next two or three months.

oldandknew -- Yes. I adore maps... so thanks! I'll go and peruse that website immediately. I think your country is the most extensively mapped and surveyed and imaged of any place on earth. It gives me a sense of the place even from here at my computer so far, far away.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:52 pm
No worries piff

http://www.manutd.com/home/default.sps
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
Piffka --- there are also a couple of sites that offer old maps of the UK as well.
Yes we are lucky with mapping. By all accounts, every street, house and other buildings throughout the country have been mapped.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

http://you.genie.co.uk/forbescr/
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:13 pm
Oh no -- shocked in my quick perusal of these new sites to find out that all this map-making stemmed from the 1745. Argggghhh. On the other hand, I have been enjoying the other governmental survey site and the amazingly close-in views of a place near Kyle of Lochalsh.

Steve-- there is a distinct possibility I will get to see Man U in an exhibition game in Seattle. Tickets go on sale in a month or two and plans may change, I suppose. Meanwhile, lovely site.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:13 pm
What's the name of that town in the UK with the longest name? Wink I doubt that even most British people can pronounce it. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:19 pm
You mean the one with the multiple " llll's", c.i.? Most British will have difficulties with some shorter Welsh town names, I suppose.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:19 pm
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch.

(Originally the town had a shorter, easier to pronounce name: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
In the 1880s, in a joking attempt to attract tourists, a tailor added the rest of the syllables, bringing the total length to 58 letters.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:28 pm
Attrackting tourists by changing the name of a town/village wasn't done just in Wales but in France, too, about the same time.
The maire of a tiny village north of Paris, , Vexin/département Val-d'Oise, couldn't find any historic or other attraction in his hamlet: so he called it "Wy-dit-joli-village" - which is official!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:36 pm
Walter, That's the one! Thanks. Still brings a chuckle out of me. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 02:32 pm
C.I. --- place names, you're in Calif. aren't you ? I found one for you, tho of course you probably know it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

It's good excuse to say that there are more long names at -- http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0320/p14s01-lign.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 03:57 pm
oak, I'm afraid that one doesn't ring a bell with me, but it's a good one! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 06:41 pm
Hi people! Im from Manchester in the UK which isnt the most picturesque place on the planet but its a really nice city, picadilly gardens and St. Annes square in the City centre and Salford Quays nearby aree very nice locations.

Around the conutry though i would like to make these recomendations:

Whitby bay, a rugged coastline which amazing scenery. Gets a little cold around this time of year but the village nearby and the various walking routes will keep you warm. Located west of York i think.

Conway Castle, I've been there twice and its an incredible place, theres a small promenade there with the most excellant chippy in the world! and the smallest house in the world too, 50p to get in it, but its worth it Smile The castle itself is huge and great fun if you have kids.

The city of Cardiff is very nice, again, the castle is the main attraction but the shops are very cute and the city has a really nice feel to it. The inhabitants are very nice too, though i may be bias slightly as half my family live there Smile

Try and see as much of Wales as is possible as it's, imo, the most beautiful place in britain.

Other nice cities that ive been to are Sheffield and York. Sheffield is a modern city but the archictecture is very beautiful. York is a very old city and, though large, has mostly been kept as it was ages past. The York dungeons are great and the archiac eelof the place is very nice Smile York used to be capital of England i think... or maybe north england.. :-? *Help! anyone!*
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 06:47 pm
Hello! and welcome, Garath. Very Happy

My neighbour came to Canada from Manchester about 50 years ago - she goes back regularly as she thinks it's awfully nice there. Pretty gardens and nice people, she says.

A promenade with a good chippy sounds like a fine recommendation on a brisk day!
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 06:56 pm
Honestly, the chips in conway are out of this world... chips gravy and a jumbo piece of cod... it sounds awful, but everything is done perfectly.. just enough salt and vinegar, perfectly cooked fish, and gravy so thick you have to drink it with a straw.

Damn, im hungry Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:04 pm
Make it smoked black cod or halibut and i'm convinced!
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:27 pm
Done! There were plently of other places in the UK that could have gone on but i might add some more tommorow.. you guys go through topics so fast! 6 pages in 2 days! Im a mod in a david eddings forum (not sure if i can plug it so ill keep quiet Smile ) and though we have lots of members, we only have 25 odd regular members. This place is amazingly vast! how do you all keep up?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:30 pm
There are just too many of us, Garath. To keep the home fires burning.....!

Welcome, by the way!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:36 pm
Garath, Here's my picture of Conway Castle.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL11/869904/inbox/t-2828.jpg

Another place in the UK that's worth visiting is Chester. Not very many go there, but it's really a charming place.

c.i. Cool
0 Replies