Who do you think are the top 25 basketball players of all time?

Kolyo

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 06:52 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Where's your list? Did I miss it?

Hopefully I'll have one by Christmas. This isn't the easiest ask in the world, because it's so hard to compare between eras, especially for someone who's only 35. (One reason that I, even as a C's fan, may not appreciate Parrish and McHale is that I only saw them play in their final years.)

When I saw this thread I started thinking about a throwing in a wrinkle, like including a Soviet player or something. If this were hockey, I definitely would.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 11:47 pm
@Kolyo,
I'm looking fwd to that.

Yes, comparing players of different eras is very hard. This is why I added the qualification (for my list) that a player also had to make significant contributions to changing or affecting the style of play of the sport.

Cousy, was an example of such a player. I almost included Bill Walton, but his career and injury-plagued career was too short.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 11:54 pm
Mr. G'bag is nuts over college b'ball. When we first met Michael Jordan and Larry Bird were just joining pro-ball. On our third date, he took me to a Balto arena and I saw Larry bird and Michael Jordan in person for the first and only time. I think it was about 1977, and my understanding of the game was whoever got to go first, won. I still can't recognize traveling but I do enjoy watching the game.

Sorry I can't help with the top 25. But if its not considered cheating can I add mr. g'bags picks????
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:07 am
@glitterbag,
Me, I was zoned in on Walt Hazzard at UCLA.
Sorry, back to reality..

Meantime, who of us would mind if Mr. gbags got his list in here?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:14 am
@ossobuco,
Well, he bleeds Carolina Blue.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:17 am
@glitterbag,
Oh, look a bias..

Man should post his views.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 06:36 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
17. Bill Russell

<Thud>

Quote:
16. Larry Bird

Quick, Quick! The paddles!
Real Music

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 01:56 pm
@Ragman,
Please explain post. Do you think my rankings for Bird and Russell should be lower or higher? If so, how low or high?
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 03:03 pm
@Real Music,
I feel that the rating should be much higher. Count how many championships Russell had in his tenure. That is why he is in the Hall of Fame. Also, count how many times he beat Wilt Chamberlain.

Bill Russell, IMHO, should be in top 5. Where I'd place him certainly can and should be debated. Take a look at my list, if you want to know where I have placed them in the respective ranking. I place him higher than Chamberlain, who I believe that you placed in the Top 5. Fact remains that Russell beat him head-to-head for quite a few of the Finals.

Where you 'should' place them on your list...is your call, of course. I, frankly, question your objectivity that you do not place Russell in the Top 5. I see that as a reflection of your youth and your not having seen much of the NBA from 1960-1985.
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 03:24 pm
@Real Music,
During one interval in the '60s, Celtics won the fourth of their eight consecutive NBA championships and Russell was named MVP, the third of five times he would be so honored. In total, he won 11 Championships.

Ummm..where should someone with those credentials be placed?

Russell's effect on the style and the genesis of the NBA game (and in a specific game) was his all-around game..and his change in how defense ...team defense was played forever after:

"He was such a great competitor," said teammate Tom Heinsohn. "I still think Russell was the greatest player to play the game because of his impact. What he did couldn't be recorded in statistics. He changed the game and he made people change their offense. Other teams actually had a 'Russell offense.' How do you measure a guy not wanting to take a shot against him? It's not a block. It's not a shot attempt. It's not a miss. But that's what was going on. He intimidated the other team and he was the consummate winner."
Real Music

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 07:40 pm
@Ragman,
I just reviewed your top 25. Obviously some of your rankings we may be in agreement. Everyone has their own criteria or formula of how they go about ranking players. My criteria consist of a whole range of pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses, as well as intangibles. Although, Bill Russell has won 11 championships, his individual stats are not that impressive. Yes, he was a great player who played on a great team. It is true that Wilt Chamberlain 2 championship rings is dwarfed by Bill Russell's 11 championships. But, on the other hand Wilt Chamberlain 30 points per game dwarfs Bill Russell's 15 points per game. Wilt Chamberlain's 54% field goal percentage dwarfs Bill Russell's 44% field goal percentage. Both of their rebounds per game is almost the same. Chamberlain averaged 23 rebounds per game and Russell averaged 22.5 rebounds per game. These stats were averaged out throughout their entire careers. Also, Chamberlain is #5 all time in career scoring and #1 all time in career rebounds. Russell is #151 all time career scoring and #2 all time in career rebounds. The reason Russell made my top 25 list was because of his impressive 11 rings and being #2 in all time rebounding.

One side note: Barry Sanders many believe is the greatest running back in NFL history. I also believe that. For those who don't believe that, will rank Barry Sanders easily in the top 5 NFL running backs in NFL history. He never even gotten to the Super Bowl. Another side note: both Robert Horry and Steve Kerr won 5 NBA championships each over their career. I don't think that you will find many people considering either of them to be one of the greatest NBA players of all time. I know I don't.
Real Music

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 09:14 pm
@Ragman,
After re-reading your post, I discovered that Russell should be ranked higher on my list. I read in your post that Russell was named MVP 5 times and was considered one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Since discovering this information I realized that I should not have Russell rank as #17 on my list. I should have him ranked higher. Probably somewhere between #10 and #12 of all time. There is a generation gap. I really didn't start watching basketball until around the mid/late 1970s. I know much of the accomplishments of players like Chamberlain and Russell. I just never saw them play. The earliest basketball star I remember watching was Julius "Doctor J" Erving.
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 06:05 pm
@Real Music,
What about melo?
I read somewhere that Carmelo Anthony has made more money in the NBA than anyone else.
From everything I have heard he is a straight up guy plays hard but never dirty says little if anything on the court. He is also very private person. He hardly does any kind of endorsements and just carries on and concentrates on being a ball hog and he never met a shot he didn't like. That is just part of his persona perhaps a dude I could relate to-I never met a shot I wouldn't take either.

26 million last year and I believe it was around 30 altogether. This could very well be internet garbage since I really don't know. Perhaps a person I could relate too. When the Knicks come here to play the Grizz he is everybody's favorite. Every body yelling at him to shoot. He stole the ball from the grizz-the mascot-and slung it from about the restricted area of the other court and almost hit it. Every time he get the ball everyone is yelling MEL-o Mel-o and make out like they are shooting a ball and when a couple of thousand people doing it it's just hilarious.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:38 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Hopefully I'll have one by Christmas.

Y'all didn't know there were 14 days of Christmas did you?

My list:

TOP 25
---------
Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Bill Russell

LeBron James
Karl Malone
Oscar Robertson
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal
Jerry West
John Stockton
Julius Erving

Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Elgin Baylor
David Robinson
John Havlicek

Moses Malone
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
George Mikan <-- Marques Haynes
George Gervin
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:54 pm
@Shawn Kemp,
Shawn Kemp wrote:
08. Kobe
09. Shaq
10. Duncan

You a late-80's/early-90's child? ;-)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:56 pm
@spooky24,
spooky24 wrote:
What about melo?
I read somewhere that Carmelo Anthony has made more money in the NBA than anyone else.

I'm not sure he makes my top 50...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 10:02 pm
@Kolyo,
Are those groups "tiers" you put them in?
Kolyo

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 06:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep. I really just broke them into groups of five to make it easier to read. So you could say the first five are the top tier. But there isn't necessarily a significant gap between #5 and #6.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Here is ESPN's top 100 (ones in asterisks haven't been announced and are guesses):

Michael Jordan
* Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3 LeBron James
4 Magic Johnson
5 Wilt Chamberlain
6 Larry Bird
7 Bill Russell
8 Tim Duncan
9 Shaquille O'Neal
10 Hakeem Olajuwon
11 Oscar Robertson
12 Kobe Bryant