God is good but there is still suffering.

Glennn

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
free tickets are available to all; but many still think the price is too high.

The price is sincerity, which is not free; nor can it be bought.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 06:34 am
@Glennn,
Humans dislike sincerity as much as nature allows them...in contrast people love tales...

...losing time teaching tale loves to love sincerity more is like trying to teach a monkey to speak...the monkey will ignore you and follow his urges..
0 Replies

Nova Flare Q

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:42 am
Good grief. It's as if the comment I made earlier never even existed.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:07 am
@Nova Flare Q,
That happens a lot here. In real life too...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:08 am
I obey and comply with Logic not with atheists nor with believers.
I honestly hate the typical polarizing American style of argument of "us" vs "them" kind of stance.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:38 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Same story on the bogus idea of belief in a God being at war with science.
I'm amazed anyone ever believed that.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:45 am
@Leadfoot,
...as in everything else it depends on the concept referrent....I can assure you the kind of God I can logically deal with or believe in and found useful, has nothing to do, not even remotely close, with its classical popular definition.
That said I both think atheists and believers get it wrong in different ways.
Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 10:28 am
@neologist,
Quote:

Quote:

To clarify, I remember when I was eleven years old, and the young preacher of the little church I was forced to attend tried to convince me that it only made sense to believe in his god. He said, "Just make the commitment to believe. If you die and it turns out that God is real, then you'll get be safe and you'll thank yourself. And if it turns out that God is not real, what did you lose?"

Even then I understood that he was asking me to join his believer-club and to fake my sincerity. The price was the forfeiture of my integrity. The ticket was not free. Shame on him.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 10:53 am
@Nova Flare Q,
Nova Flare Q wrote:
The cosmos is perfectly balanced, for there is an equilibrium of positive and negative force.

Is that Jehovah's Witnesses' doctrine?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 11:25 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
..as in everything else it depends on the concept referrent....I can assure you the kind of God I can logically deal with or believe in and found useful, has nothing to do, not even remotely close, with its classical popular definition.
That said I both think atheists and believers get it wrong in different ways.
I'm on board with you as far as that goes.

I will assume your God isn't the kind that Glennn's ex preacher was selling either. That's like being nice to an uncle only because you think he might be rich and leave you something in his will. What an empty belief that would be.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 11:37 am
@Leadfoot,
...oh no...I am not looking for "heaven" profit...that would be absolutely appalling for any intellectually honest person !
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 11:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
That's like being nice to an uncle only because you think he might be rich and leave you something in his will. What an empty belief that would be.

Indeed! In the case of my experience, the ass of the metaphorical uncle was being kissed by most preachers because of the threat of Hell fire. And they did their best to pass that fear onto the virgin minds of children, convincing them of the virtues of giving in to the threats of a terrorist-god. That kind of **** leaves 3rd degree burns on the psyche of the young, and sometimes on the old. Whether they knew it or not, they were basically asking the question: Is you intellectual integrity worth burning for eternity?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 12:22 pm
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 01:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Ironically, 'happiness' is one of the proper reasons to seek the truth about God. Not the psych yourself up, instant gratification, clap along with the cool upbeat band found in some churches but the longer term satisfaction of understanding the answer to why the **** are we here.
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
What would be of God without some Satan drama ? . . .
It's not that we would not have challenge. Technology, for one thing. But we would not have to concern ourselves with neighbors making bombs.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 03:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Why we here ? Because it can't be otherwise. THIS IS REALITY !
And its perfect as it is....just like maths.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 04:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Why we here ? Because it can't be otherwise. THIS IS REALITY !
And its perfect as it is....just like maths.
Well, it could be otherwise.

X could = 0 or X could = 1. I agree that X does = 1 in this case. I still want to know why X = 1. Maybe I'm just too curious.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 04:51 pm
@hmodahl,
Quote:
...would not tolerate certain short-range evils
Not so much Hml She tolerates 'em but She can't do anything about 'em. If you're gonna have the humanoid, then you've gotta have a ball of rock orbiting a huge hydrogen bomb. So volcanoes, disease, and evil are just an inescapable part of the plot. She can't do the impossible
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 05:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
You remind of a character in a movie reacting to a free will challenge saying he is free and will do otherwise...You fell in the allure of the fabulous trap life is...Reality is all there is, and to state tomorrow can be different, just a supposition of today's REALITY. Tomorrow will be REALITY to ya know...just like today. One is ONE period. (if ya get spacetime focus the IS in the last sentence in a timeless fashion)
FBM

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 05:50 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

To clarify, I remember when I was eleven years old, and the young preacher of the little church I was forced to attend tried to convince me that it only made sense to believe in his god. He said, "Just make the commitment to believe. If you die and it turns out that God is real, then you'll get be safe and you'll thank yourself. And if it turns out that God is not real, what did you lose?"

Even then I understood that he was asking me to join his believer-club and to fake my sincerity. The price was the forfeiture of my integrity. The ticket was not free. Shame on him.

He was trying to sell you on Pascal's wager. Incidentally, the Buddha had his own version of that.