Has Terrorism Changed Your Philosophy of Life?

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
Is it truly a "different world" now?

Has the apparent recent increase in terrorism concerns changed your basic philosophy of life in any way?

Phrased more broadly, the question might be: "Do world events alter our philosophy as we move through life?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,132 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
On the narrow question, my answer is no.

On the broader question, i would say that the answer is embodied in a single verb--to learn.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
Speaking for myself, I can't say that terrorism has changed much in my life at all (except to give me a headache everytime I have hear George Dubbya abuse the English language and insult the intelligence of American voters).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
extra medium, It did at first, naturally, but now I am just as concerned about the hurricane season. Can't do a thing about either, but just try and discern the fear and act, where it is humanly possible, within the bounds of decency.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
Because of and since 9/11 my religious and political beliefs have changed drastically. Prior to 9/11 I was closed minded and set in my ways. Terrorism has forced me to take nothing for granted, open my eyes, my mind, my heart and to appreciate life and those people I love a whole lot more.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:03 pm
No, not at all. I should note that conditions are ever changing. In my life time I have seen the great depression, WW2 and the Korean war, good times that followed WW2, cold war, threats of nuclear war.,the crazy sixties and many other events good and bad. The present situation is in it's way no different from what has come before. The only thing that could possibly be different if mankuind succeeds in blowing the world up. You may have heard of the statement. "there is nothing new under the sun."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:18 pm
Pretty much with au on this one. I don't think my philosophy in this particular regard - Violence/Terrorism/Middle East - has changed all that much since the Truman Era.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:26 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention the headache I get every time I have to hear about the P.M. kissing Dubbya's proverbial.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:29 pm
I was a Buddhist before, and still am. Before 9/11 I described myself politically as a Federalist, and that still is the best descriptor of my conservative political stance. Prior to 9/11 I strongly supported the maintenance of a strong, capable and credible U.S. military, and believe in that even more today than then. Though folks seem to like to cast stones at the U.S. Intelligence community, I think that most such criticisms are unjust. We essentially stopped using Humint because the People and their representatives in all branches of the Federal government no longer wanted to be associated with the means necessary to conduct Humint and covert operations. We as a nation came to believe that we could fill the void with satellite and Elint systems. We so yearned for peace that we closed our eyes to the continuing and growing threat posed by international terrorism. Folks inside the Intelligence community did warn that was a dangerous path to follow, but who listened in either party before 9/11?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:39 pm
Re Humint/Elint, when has technology ever trumped boots-on-the-ground? Some lessons seem to need continual relearning.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:07 pm
Nah - no real effect.

a. Terrorism has always been there - the difference is really that it affects some western countries more than it did before - not all - Ireland, England, Germany, France, Spain and so on were well acquainted with it before Sept 11. (Mind you, the IRA did tend to call ahead about their bombs)

b. Life has always been subject to abrupt and bloody cessation - car accidents, earthquakes, fires etc. - and other vicissitudes. If you hadn't dealt with this reality before, you were dumb, or very fortunate, or both.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:33 pm
Terrorism
The terrorism attacks of 9-11 and the aftermath (e.g., the patriot acts and homeland security) strengthened my belief that freedom is fragile and all persons must remain vigilant.

Too many people in this country look to government to GOVERN their lives rather than to secure their rights. Too often we hear: "There ought to be a law. . . ." Of course, with just about every law enacted at the behest of the people, the government chips away at individual rights and freedoms and many people seem to think that is okay.

Benjamin Franklin is often credited with the following maxim: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

We cannot allow acts of terrorism to serve as a reason for sacrificing our liberty. If that is the case, then the core principles upon which this country were founded become meaningless and the terrorists win.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:42 pm
Changed my philosophy of life? That assumes I had one.

When American funded terrorists ripped apart the centre of my home city, I did have a particular view.

But the biggest bomb ever to detonate in Britain didn't actually kill anyone, and wiped out an area overdue for redevelopment. Now its all rebuilt and looking lovely, so I say terrorism YES MORE PLEASE. You have to look beyond the immediate scene of devastation, the blood and body parts, you know all the down side and that and think of the bright future it heralds.

So thank you all you New York and Boston Irish. Thank you for all the small arms you supplied the IRA, thank you for the money for the semtex and C4 thank you for indulging your romantic myths and heroic tales that others executed in blood.

But has it changed my philosophy of life? No.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
Terrorism has only affirmed my profound distaste for all forms of fundamentalism, whether it be muslim, christian, judaic, hindu or the economic ideologies of communism and capitalism. The absolutism and doctrinaire moral righteousness of all fundamentalisms make them very dangerous for world peace and sanity.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:01 pm
Well put, JL! Your statement recapitulates Aldous Huxley's theme in his novel, "The Island."
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
Terrorism ins't something that affects my personal thinking very much. At times, I get really miffed on the modern society and vitipurate about a lot of things. Since 2001, terrorism joined this group. But even before I was annoyed with all fundamentalists.
Terrorism isn't particularly new, but, with the increasing speed of travelling, along with the many weapons people can use to hurt other people, we are more vulnerable. But why worry over something you can't possibly foresee? Or do anything against? It's just another of those things that Prince once so eloquently called: "Sign of the Times".

Naj.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:47 pm
I propose we outlaw intolerance and do away with all bigots forthwith.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:51 pm
and I propose that we sing Leon Russel's song, "I want to back to the island" any takers? Guess not. Razz
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:36 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I propose we outlaw intolerance and do away with all bigots forthwith.

Yes! Our culture should not tolerate intolerance! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:21 am
There is no confusion in the mind of a true fundamentalist; a terrorist is merely its military aspect. A one-track mind always knows where its going; obstacles will not stop it, only delay it. It's the most leveling principal to make life cheap. It memorizes more than analyses except how to get to its goal. The ultimate irony is its costing the Western World a great deal economically to sabotage their intent which also produces its own side-effects and stress levels. The have leveraged fear with relatively little expenditure on their part. So whether or not it's changed anyone's philosophy, it would certainly have the power to amend it the longer it takes!
0 Replies