What Next?

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:21 pm
After having recently read a series of similarly-themed books (The Case Against Lawyers, The Language Police, The Death of Common Sense, and The Collapse of the Common Good), I want to keep reading.

If you are familiar with these, what else fits in? What should be next? They all deal with the loss of our freedoms by ridiculous lawsuits, no responsibility, process dictating everything removing decision-making, etc.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 769 • Replies: 5
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:43 pm
Re: What Next?
bermbits wrote:
After having recently read a series of similarly-themed books (The Case Against Lawyers, The Language Police, The Death of Common Sense, and The Collapse of the Common Good), I want to keep reading.

If you are familiar with these, what else fits in? What should be next? They all deal with the loss of our freedoms by ridiculous lawsuits, no responsibility, process dictating everything removing decision-making, etc.

Thanks.

I recommend reading something different.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:11 am
JoefromC

:-)

Much truth is spoken in jest.
I see humor in your answer, but I am not sure if it is intended.
Anyhow, I thirst for more. I am outraged at the truths I always suspected but am now having confirmed. I find the information helpful.
I spend evenings reading action fiction - this is a new diretion, one over which I am excited.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:54 am
bermbits wrote:
I am outraged at the truths I always suspected but am now having confirmed. I find the information helpful.
I spend evenings reading action fiction - this is a new diretion, one over which I am excited.

I was being serious in my recommendation. It sounds as if your reading list has been rather narrow: it's time to broaden your horizons. Here are some suggestions:

The Buffalo Creek Disaster

A Civil Action

Dispensing with the Truth

After you've read one or more of these, you can then return to complete your reading list from the John Stossel Book Club.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:33 am
But wait a minute, don't lawyers write books, too? Can we trust them to be open and honest about these matters? Have they been completely forthcoming about their personal agendas? Is there a rule that network "news" personalities speak only in questions?

More after this word from our sponsor . . .
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:43 am
I remember read and loving the F. Lee Bailey books way abck when.

We have reached a terrorism by lawsuit crisis, IMHO. When anybody can sue anybody for anything with no checks and balances of any kind, it is a form of terrorism - say the wrong thing and I will sue you. I see it at work and almost everywhere. The books I cited put it in from of me, which gelled the nebulous thoughts I had.

The frustration I felt in A Civil Case is the other side. I guess I was hoping for more of what one can do to stem the tide (I have found a website for the Common Good [Philip Howard], which seems to be a start).
0 Replies