Advice to a 60 y.o.Novice Kayaker? - Don't say "Don't" !

jjorge

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:31 am
What comes before novice? ...I haven't started paddling yet but I've got the bug. (I guess until I buy my kayak and get out on the water I'm a
"would-be" kayaker)

A friend who I've recently been in contact with has one. His enthusiasm
is what got me started. He has a sit-on-top model though, because he's seventy and has a touch of arthritis. I've been doing a little research on the web. Then, at the Providence Boat Show last week I spent an hour at the booth of RICKA (R.I. Canoe and Kayak Assoc.) and ended up joining.
I looked over a lot of kayaks at the boat show but feel I need to do more "Homework"before I buy. On my way home from the Boat Show I stopped at Borders and bought two books:

"The Complete Sea Kayaker's Handbook" by Shelley Johnson

and

"The Kayaking Sourcebook" by Cecil Kuhne

Because I live very close to Narragansett Bay paddling around in it and around it's coves etc. is a major interest. I'm also interested in lake kayaking and flatwater rivers. I'm not interested in whitewater kayaking, surf kayaking or heavy duty open ocean kayaking.

Several places near me offer lessons, rentals and sales (including used equipment) My current plan is to attend a couple of meetings of RICKA,
LOOK AT used equipment, take lessons as soon as possible ( the first around here are in late April) and THEN buy my kayak.

I'm in generally good health but have gotten overweight and out of shape in the past few years. I have a gym membership which I haven't been using much (but I plan to get back there this week.)

I 'd really appreciate any info and/or advice from a2k'ers especially on :

Kayaks*, kayaking tips, equipment, clothing, etc.

I will be away all day today then this evening I'm going to the Boston area for to hoist a few with Boston area a2k'ers. I'll check back on this thread when I get home again. (probably in the wee hours)

Thanks in advance for any ideas, comments, input that you may be able to provide!
-jjorge

*PS
I will almost certainly be buying a polyethylene Kayak as I could not afford the exotic Kevlar or fiberglass models.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,290 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:38 am
jjorge- Good for you! I have a girlfriend who, at the time, about 6 years ago, was in her early 60s. She has osteoporosis, and osteoarthritis, and sometimes walked with a cane.

Anyhow, she met a guy who was a kayaking guru, and she started to become involved with the sport. Six years later, in her late sixties, she can lift her kayak, and attach it to her car with great ease. She has lost weight, is in great shape, and I have not seen her with a cane in years.

My advice to you is to rent some different kayaks before you buy. Try them out, before you plunk your money down. You need to get a sense of how big a kayak you need, as well as how heavy a kayak you can comfortably handle. If you buy, I think that you should have kayaked for awhile, and are sure that this sport is for you, before spending a lot of money on something that will end up sitting in the garage.

I personally like the ones that you sit in for lake kayaking. I feel that they have more stability than a sit on top. My husband, on the other hand, hates getting splashed.

Good Luck and enjoy!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:04 pm
I kayak and canoe but I do mostly whitewater. If there are lessons offered in your area TAKE them! Smile You'll learn a lot about selecting a kayak from the lessons as well as learning how to use it properly and safely.

Since you are just starting out I'd recommend you go cheap (a used "good" model is better than a cheapo "new" one if you can find one!) until you get a feel for things and decide if you want to stick with it. If you are in a club you may be able to find someone that is upgrading and is interested in selling their old one. Once you've been doing it for a year or two and have decided that you want to stick with it you can buy a better model for yourself and sell your old one the same way.

One small piece of advice - DON'T scrimp on your safety devices. Buy the best (not necessarily the most expensive, but the best quality..) you can afford. You are betting your life on them and if you do upgrade your kayak the safety gear stays with you...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 11:05 pm
Phoenix, Fishin

Thanks for your input.

I definitely plan on taking lessons and renting first.

afterwards I'll look for a good quality used one. If I like it enough and stick with it I'll then upgrade to a new one.

I think I would keep the first one though, to have as a guest or 'buddy' Kayak since my son-in-law and others would probably want to go paddling with me when they visit.

I don't think I would be interested in a sit-on-top model but we'll see. After all, I am a total novice so what do I know at this point. Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:17 am
Learn how to perform the Eskimo roll on command - in a pool, with help available. It is supposed to be easier while wearing a flotation device (life jacket). Don't get in one of those things without one. Ever.

Consider the paddle. The blades are usually 90 degrees from each other. The purpose is to lower wind resistance of the one that is not in the water. If this is not important, you can save lots of wear and tear on the wrists and maybe shoulders, by having the blades on the same plane. Try them both.

If you are going solo, get a single seater. Balance on a tandem with only one person aboard is supposed to be awful.

Learn to swim.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:33 am
Thanks a lot for the input and the caveats Roger!

I used to be a Bn. safety officer and I'm really into the safety stuff believe me.

My reading has already convinced me to get the classes but your comments on the importance of the eskimo roll was helpful.

Likewise your comments on tandem Kayaks. I wasn't really intending to get one but I will probably buy a used kayak and might have been tempted by an especially good deal on a tandem until I read your remarks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 10:02 am
I've just sent a note to wayfarer asking her for her input. She's been kayaking on Cape Cod for some years and probably has some good suggestions on the topic.
0 Replies

wayfarer

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 02:21 pm
Advise to a 60 y.o. kayaker
Hi jjorge.
Go to it! I brought my kayak up from the beach in October and oh, my! do I miss the daily kayaking of summer and fall. I'm also getting out of shape without that great- and beautiful -exercise.
I agree with the safety precautions although when the Cape Cod tide goes out and the water is two feet deep, I sometimes cheat. But it's similar to the car safety belt- there is no excuse and my next big purchase is going to be a light, comfortable life jacket instead of the bulky one I've been using.
Even though I feel reasonable secure in my kayak, I NEVER attempt to kayak in rough water. For me, it ain't worth it. If I were a very big number of years younger, I might do things differently, but I'm happy with what I've got.
I have a Keewee which is broad beamed and stable, but not fast. That's o.k. with me.
I started out with the paddle which came with the kayak, but it was simply too heavy for me and I have purchased a lighter wood paddle which makes a big difference.
Make sure you get a kayak which allows you to pull it easily- I have friends who have more sophisticated models but without a simple pull and they get exhausted before they start.
Have fun!! There is no more relaxing and contemplative sport than kayaking. You'll love it.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
ehBeth

Thanks you. That was very thoughtful of you. Very Happy

P.S. You get around eh?

Wayfarer
Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas.
My friend tells me he has a two-wheel something-or-other that he uses to pull his kayak to the water. Apparently it just folds up and he keeps it on the outside of the kayak with a bungee strap while he's in the water.

I am more concerned with figuring the easiest way to get my future kayak onto the roof rack of my pickup (I have a high-rise cap on it) without damaging the kayak or my back.

Incidentally, my friend lives 100 yards from a little cove in Onset MA, near Cape Cod. I 'm sure he'll be paddling with me up here on Narragansett bay and environs and, sooner or later I'll be exploring the waters around Wareham-Onset with him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:51 pm
Kayak road trip!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 08:30 pm
ehBeth

Huh? Confused Confused
0 Replies