Why America Hates Football (a.k.a. Soccer)

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:09 am
Why America hates football

The best-selling author of The Meaning of Sport explains

Michael Mandelbaum
Sunday August 1, 2004

While people from Oslo to Athens and from London to Vladivostok were avidly following the European football championship in June, Americans ignored it. In the United States, the only way to see the Greece-Portugal final, or any other match in the tournament, was to make a special, costly arrangement with a satellite broadcasting company or to find a pub that was showing one of the games. Any such pub would invariably be located in an obscure corner of a large city and filled with people speaking languages other than English.

Euro 2004 was the latest episode in the long history of American indifference to the world's favourite sport, which continues despite strenuous efforts to put the game on the same footing as America's three major team games: baseball, American football and basketball. Why have these efforts failed?

One reason has to do with the existing popularity of the big three. Even in as large and wealthy a country as the United States, where the national appetite for playing, and even more so for watching, games is enormous, the cultural, economic and psychological space available for sport is limited and that space is already taken. Baseball, American football and basketball have long since put down deep roots, claimed particular seasons of the year as their own (although they now overlap) and gained the allegiance of the sports-following public.

A fourth team sport, ice hockey, is widely played across the northern tier of the country and has a professional league with teams located across the border in Canada and throughout the United States, even in cities whose climates are so benign that ice has never formed in them: indeed, the franchise in Tampa, Florida, won this year's championship. The presence of four major team sports - more than in any other country - has made the barrier to entry in the competition for the affections and the dollars of American sports fans extraordinarily high, so high that even the world's most popular game has not been able to surmount it.

One in particular of those three sports - basketball - poses a singular obstacle to the national acceptance of football. The two are too similar for them both to succeed. Each belongs to the family of games whose object is to put a ball (or similar object) in a goal.

Because the two games are similar, they have the same kind of appeal. Both are easy to follow; you can immediately understand the point of each one. The rules and strategies of cricket, baseball, rugby and American football, by contrast, are less straightforward. The action of a basketball game and of a football match are easier to follow than that of other team sports as well because the ball is larger than in cricket and baseball and is never hidden in a tangle of bodies or a scrum, as it is in American football and rugby.

Football and basketball are also easier to play than the other team games. They do not require elaborate equipment and satisfactory informal games can be staged without the full complement of players. And both football and basketball players can perfect their skills practising entirely alone.

Spectators see the same thing in the two games: episodes of spontaneous coordination, with players devising and implementing schemes for scoring. They see, that is, acts of creation. If architecture is, as is sometimes said, music set in concrete, then football and basketball may be said to be creativity embodied in team sports.

The two games are both played partly in the air. Basketball players spring off the floor to launch shots at the basket and soar to capture missed shots as they bounce off the rim, even as football players leap upward to intercept a kicked ball with their heads to control it, tap it to a team-mate, or redirect it into their opponents' goal. Football and basketball are therefore the team sports that most vividly evoke a common human fantasy: to leave the ground and fly through the air.

This is why, perhaps, football and basketball are the team sports with the widest global appeal. It is no surprise that each of the two has established a beachhead in the last great expanse of unoccupied sports territory, the People's Republic of China. Their marked similarities, however, also mean that the two sports duplicate each other. They provide the same satisfactions. For spectators they are, in a sense, alternatives. North Americans don't need football because they already get what it has to offer from basketball.

There is, too, the problem of the frequency with which football matches end in a draw. Americans want conclusive results from their games. Baseball and basketball have rules forbidding draws: the two teams must play until one of them wins. Draws were more common in American football until two decades ago when, responding to the national irritation with them, the managers of the sport changed the rules. Now collegiate games cannot end in draws and professional contests very rarely do.

Most American sports fans would regard the method used for deciding international championship matches that end in a draw even after extra time - the penalty shoot-out - as absurdly arbitrary and no more fitting a way to determine a winner than flipping a coin.

There is a remedy for what is, in American eyes, football's gravest defect. The game's rules could be changed to make scoring much easier, which would mean that even if the match were drawn at the end of 90 minutes, one or the other team would almost certainly score in extra time.

Altering the rules to encourage scoring is an old and well established practice in American sport. In the course of the 20th century, baseball, American football and basketball each did so several times. The changes helped to sustain, and indeed to expand, the popularity of all three, since, as one astute student of baseball put it, 'offense [scoring] is making things happen. Defense is keeping things from happening. People would much rather watch things happen.'

To do the same thing for football might well require dramatic modifications in the way the game is now played - the abolition of the offside rule, for example, or awarding points that count in the final score for corner kicks, which, as in prize fights that do not end in knockouts, would give an advantage to the side that makes the most determined efforts to score.

Why has this not happened in the US? One possible reason is that such changes would make the American version of football substantially different from the game played everywhere else, and here Americans are reluctant to be out of step with the rest of the world. If that is the case, then the failure of the world's most popular sport to gain full acceptance in the world's most sports-obsessed country suggests that there are, after all, limits to American unilateralism.

Michael Mandelbaum is one of America's leading authorities on US foreign policy and international relations and the author of The Ideas That Conquered the World: Peace, Democracy and Free Markets in the Twenty-First Century (Public Affairs)

The shorter version of this article read: "Because it's mind-numbingly dull, that's why!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,799 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
Quote:
Because it's mind-numbingly dull, that's why!

The last time in was at Pearson airport, waiting to return to the U.S., they had the Euro 2004 on the television in the waiting area. Almost all of the males there were facing the television, with their eyes glazed over. Then one of the Portugese forwards scored a goal in very dramatic fashion. The room erupted as the "fans" came to life--it was one of those plays which in an American sport would have been shown again and again in "instant replay" from every camera angle available to the director. Instead, the shot on goal was replayed from exactly the same angle; and then the crowd subsided once again into marginally vigilant lassitude, to wait out the more than forty minutes until the referee (if that's what they call them) announced the end of official time for that half.

"Mind-numbingly dull" seems so apt to me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:14 am
I think Mandelbaum has a point about the saturation of the US sports marketplace: there just isn't room for outdoor soccer when the airwaves are filled with baseball, football (pro and college) and basketball (pro and college).

I'm less impressed with his comparison between soccer and basketball, even though I find both sports, for similar reasons, to be indescribably boring. Americans don't spurn soccer because they have basketball, they spurn soccer because, given the choice between watching something happen and watching nothing happen, Americans overwhelmingly would choose the former.

As for Mandelbaum's last paragraph -- "Americans are reluctant to be out of step with the rest of the world" -- I have only one thing to say: what the hell is he talking about?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:28 am
I'd agree with that last sentiment. I would venture to say that most Americans don't give "the rest of the world" a moment of thought from one day to the next. I'd also agree that a comparison between basketball and soccer is a stretch. Basketball if fast-paced and completely boring. Soccer is "less fast-paced" and just as boring. Basketball at least accomplished a goal frequently. A "good" soccer match can last two periods of 45 minutes apiece (by the ref's watch--that may take two or three hours to broadcast), and end without a single goal scored.

I've always been a fan of baseball, since i was just a liddly. I freely admit that to those with no interest, watching televised baseball and watching paint dry are equivalent activities. I like it because i played baseball whenever i could upto about age forty (when it became too difficult to find a game in my age group). If there is a lack of interest in soccer here, it likely arises from the lack of its presence in the life stories of our citizens. This may change with time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:12 am
I think most Americans don't understand the rules of soccer. Plus, the way it is currently played by on the international level tends to see the ball kicked back and forth around midfield, way too much ball control, not enough scoring tries.

I don't think the offside rule is to blame. I blame it more on the coaching style of international teams.

Watching a bunch of 12-year old girls play soccer in the U.S. is more exciting than watching Germany and England play keepaway.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
The "mind-numbingly dull" line of thinking may be an apt expression of one's own opinion of the sport but a piss-poor attempt to understand why it's not popular in America.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Agreed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The "mind-numbingly dull" line of thinking may be an apt expression of one's own opinion of the sport but a piss-poor attempt to understand why it's not popular in America.

Well, I'm not exactly sure why it's "piss-poor." Granted, it's based purely upon subjective observation and opinion, but then that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.

And here are some other piss-poor observations that support the contention that soccer is just too damned boring:

*i don't hate it. i just don't find it much more entertaining than watching flies fark.
*erm, soccer is too slow.
*Soccer is about as fun as watching paint dry.
*Synchronized swimming is more exciting than soccer.
*Because it is boring
*Soccer sucks because the pace of play is to slow, and more recently, PENIS BITING
*i thought we hated it cause "IT FKN SUCKS AND IT'S BORING"!
*Soccer sucks because the strategy of the game is boring
*Soccer is just boring, its the only sport where nothing happens and the fans cheer
*because it takes one hour to score one fukin point...
*Indoor Soccer is fast paced and somewhat interesting.....play it outside on a big field and it's boring
*How about the fact that the score is 1-0 90% of the time. BORING!
*After sitting there watching that shiat for 90+ minutes, I expect to see the ball go in the net at some point. Sit for an entire game and the score still reads 0-0 at the end and they declare a draw? I want my time back

Now, does this prove anything? Of course not, although it does give a sense that there are more than a few Americans who view pro soccer in much the same light.

Plus, I think the comments are funny.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:35 pm
Oh, I know you were just going for mirth Joe. But if you are serious about knowing why it's not popular here I think you were right to reference the saturation.

Ultimately, it just has more to do with circumstance than the sport itself.

Golf and baseball are very boring to many of the nations that like soccer. Football is far more confusing than soccer's rules.

While Americans call soccer slow, others call our sports slow. Ultimately it comes down to ignorance and the subsequent inability to appreciate the intricacies of the non-obvious moments (e.g. an American might only see a goal as worthwhile in soccer, and someone who doesn't understand baseball would find a pitcher's perfect game very boring and unremarkable..).

Anywho, I've made all those quips before. They were funny to me too when I was ignorant of the intricacies of the game.

I'll comment on one (not to you, as I know you aren't here for anything substantative and just for laughs):

"After sitting there watching that shiat for 90+ minutes, I expect to see the ball go in the net at some point. Sit for an entire game and the score still reads 0-0 at the end and they declare a draw? I want my time back "

This is the stereotypical American approach to it. That's why the MLS, in the US, whanged the rule so that this doesn't happen (the MLS changed as many rules as FIFA would allow, they wanted bigger goals to satisfy your ilk but FIFA nixed that).

In the US, there is no draw. A tie in regulation play is settled by a "shootout" (not penalties like the rest of the world, but a dribling shootout) that gives a team a shootout victory that is worth one point (instead of 3).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
Re: Why America Hates Football (a.k.a. Soccer)
Mandelbaum makes some of the suggestions I would, but then some of it just makes no sense.

Michael Mandelbaum wrote:

There is a remedy for what is, in American eyes, football's gravest defect. The game's rules could be changed to make scoring much easier, which would mean that even if the match were drawn at the end of 90 minutes, one or the other team would almost certainly score in extra time.

To do the same thing for football might well require dramatic modifications in the way the game is now played - the abolition of the offside rule, for example, or awarding points that count in the final score for corner kicks, which, as in prize fights that do not end in knockouts, would give an advantage to the side that makes the most determined efforts to score.

Why has this not happened in the US? One possible reason is that such changes would make the American version of football substantially different from the game played everywhere else, and here Americans are reluctant to be out of step with the rest of the world. If that is the case, then the failure of the world's most popular sport to gain full acceptance in the world's most sports-obsessed country suggests that there are, after all, limits to American unilateralism.

Getting rid of offsides is something I actually support, though purists fear cherry-picking. But he makes no sense about corners and when he speculates why the US hasn't made the changes (some of which were made) he's just being ignorant.

The us league (MLS) wanted to do all of that. Including making teh goal bigger and thereby making the goalie an attraction.

Thing is, FIFA did nto agree and the league players would be barred from FIFA events like the world cup.

Those changes weren't avoided because the US doesn't like to be different (as Joe touched on, that is a brainfart of a notion) but simply because the changes the MLS wanted were prohibited and the appeal of star power (no stars would play in the MLS if it meant no World Cup for them) and a claim of actually being the same sport kep the dramatic changes at bay.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
More reasons why Americans don't like football as much as other countries:

1. It's hard to keep statistical records for both teams and individuals. On baseball we have runs, rbis, era, batting average, slugging, fielding average, home runs/ at bats, wild pitches per inning, you name it. In American football, passing yards, running yards, complete pass percentage, sacks per game, etc. What does football have of statistical importance, besides goals?... maybe passes for goal, cornerkicks, time of possesion... not very important. Can we keep statistical record of dribbles, of phantom plays, of choosing the correct play in the precise moment?
Americans' love of statistics keeps many of them from understanding the game throughly.

2. Scoring. One of the reasons baseball losing ground to American football and basketball is the relative difficulty of scoring. True baseball fans enjoy a pitching duel. Superficial fans want to see a lot of runs, while a connoiseur will find a 17-10 baseball game with lots of bases on balls painstakingly boring.
Same thing with football. If you don't understand the tactics, all you see is a bunch of players trying to get a ball, run to the other side and shoot it into a smallish net protected by the goalkeeper. It's like if you watch American football and all you see is men jumping one over the other, wait a minute while they get back into formation and a few seconds later jump one over the other again.
Americans love to score. That's also why they prefer the other flowing game, basketball.
A goal in football is like an orgasm. You don't just get happy and cheer: when I'm at the Olympic Stadium and Pumas score, a whole freaking week's tension is released in a collective yell. If that happened in basketball, it would be like the SNL character.

3. America's gotta be the best. No one can deny that the best baseball, basketball, American football and ice hockey are played in MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. La créme de la créme plays in the USA.
This cannot be said of MLS. The stars, the sponsors and the money are elsewhere, in England, Italy and Spain.
The US will not be world football champions in my lifetime, I think. That's why I don't give the MLS a real future.
That's why it's a pity that the women's league closed.

---

All this said, well, yes, sometimes football is boring. As in so many sports.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:22 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Oh, I know you were just going for mirth Joe. But if you are serious about knowing why it's not popular here I think you were right to reference the saturation.

I don't think I was going entirely for mirth, but I think we all need to keep in mind that discussions regarding the relative merits of rival sports is about as grave and serious as discussions regarding the relative abilities of the discussants' fathers to beat one another up.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Ultimately, it just has more to do with circumstance than the sport itself.

I think that has a lot to do with it, but we can't ignore the sport itself. Pro badminton has never really taken off in the US either.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Golf and baseball are very boring to many of the nations that like soccer. Football is far more confusing than soccer's rules.

If the only thing going against soccer was its rules it wouldn't have any troubles at all. Soccer is one of the simplest team sports in terms of its rules. Baseball and American football, in contrast, are some of the most complicated.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Getting rid of offsides is something I actually support, though purists fear cherry-picking.

The old North American Soccer League (NASL) actually did away with the international "moving offsides" rule and replaced it with an offsides line (like the blue line in hockey). I went to a Chicago Sting game where the offsides line was used, and the game was wide-open, lots of scoring chances, and, by international standards, lots of scoring (I think the final score was 5-3). A non-American may have been appalled by the result, but the fans (including myself) really enjoyed the game. Then FIFA stepped in and declared that the NASL would have to reinstate the moving offsides rule. The result: scoring dwindled, fans fled, the league folded. I think that could be introduced as "exhibit A" in the case of "USA v. Boring International Soccer."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
fbaezer wrote:
2. Scoring. One of the reasons baseball losing ground to American football and basketball is the relative difficulty of scoring.

Actually, I think this observation is a lot more relevant to ice hockey than to baseball.

fbaezer wrote:
Americans love to score. That's also why they prefer the other flowing game, basketball.

Well, frankly, I've never understood the appeal of basketball. Whereas soccer is all defense and very little offense, basketball is all offense and very little defense. Really, I can't quite fathom why anyone would get excited about a basket in the first half of a basketball game -- after all, it's not like getting 2 points is a big deal when you expect to get 40 or 50 more before the game is over.

fbaezer wrote:
A goal in football is like an orgasm.

I'll remember to pack an extra pair of pants the next time I attend a game.

fbaezer wrote:
3. America's gotta be the best. No one can deny that the best baseball, basketball, American football and ice hockey are played in MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. La créme de la créme plays in the USA.

There's probably some truth in that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:31 pm
Here's another problem with soccer. She has the defense beat, she's not offside, and, she has absolutely no help whatsoever. Wink

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RgDfFyQW4yWyMDWfjxYXvqjHjJZNo0TiFh5!sZCcBNKVqHUC0yJO!kvi0r6CAHHLfqVb7occfVvRpXcpwf9nLmjclFc2DQuSbV1ovQvnLF8/soccer.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:39 pm
I would like to put my oar in again on the subject of one's personal life experience. In North America and the Carribean, baseball is played by all children at some time or another. Whether this applies in South America, i couldn't say, Fbaezer probably knows--but i've seen kids in Mexico and Central America playing pick-up games just as at home, and you see "little league" diamonds all over Canada. Basketball is played all over Canada and U.S. as well (Fbaezer? Mexico?). Football we know it north of the Rio Grande is also a sport in which many children participate, and it is a major social event in small towns.

Kids in other countries grow up playing football as they know it. Even in a scoreless match, there is much of interest for them in the technique displayed by both the individual players, and in the coaching of the team. Americans mostly can't connect to that (not yet, at any rate). We all of us know the rules of baseball, and Canadians and Americans play sufficiently similar football (i've read more than once that the modern rules derive from a game played between McGill and Harvard in the 1890's) that when we watch those games, we see the subtleties foreigners might miss.

International football simply is not a part of our lives as it is in other nations. Small wonder its difficult to drum up interest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
I think Fbaezer's observation about scoring in baseball applied in the late 50's and in the 60's, when it was "a pitcher's game." MLB took steps through rules changes regarding the ball and the bats which overcame the seeming dominance of pitching. More scoring has brought enthusiasm back to baseball--of course, the players' union does all it can to damp that down.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
Quote:

You obviously dont follow cricket Setanta
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:56 pm
One's personal life experience is key, Setanta.

My dad loved baseball. So do I. I played in the Little League in Mexico City, played in an amateur league in the Northwest in my twenties, and in another amateur league in Mexico City until my mid-forties.
Baseball was the most popular sport in the country until the late fifties/ early sixties. The biggest TV network got into the football (soccer) business, and now baseball is more and more a regional game (North, Northwest, Gulf, Yucatan Peninsula).
Baseball's doom in Mexico was a players' strike in 1980. The players were right, but their strike, and the seccession (they founded a players' league: it had the best pitchers and the worst stadiums) weakened baseball. Freaking 17-10 games in the Mexican League. Better 5-4 games in the National ("illegal") League, in uneven parks, a league so poor spectators had to return fouled baseballs.

There's a difference between how kids play baseball in the US and in the baseball zones of Mexico and the Caribbean. In most of the US, baseball is played from early spring to early autumn. In Sinaloa, Cuba, Venezuela or the Dominican Republic, it is played from Jan. 1st to December 31st.

Ideas to make baseball teams score more runs are just like ideas to make sitcoms more stupid, IMHO. But MLB got more spectators, just as networks got a bigger rating by lowering their product.

At school, priests said heaven is a place where you can play football (soccer) for eternity and never get tired. So it was Religion II. I'm still a faithful to that religion (alas, not to Catholicism), even if I sometimes disagree with the excessive media hype the sport is given almost everywhere.

Cjhsa photo is telling of another message. Football is strictly an association sport. Put a great player in the midst of a mediocre football team, and you'll most likely get a mediocre team. Put a great player in the midst of a mediocre American football or baseball team, and you'll get "a clutch", ergo, a team that stands over mediocrity.
Individual skill gets a better price in American football and baseball than in football (soccer), while association and team work pay more (if soccer was measured in talent, Germany would have never ever become world champion).
Maybe that's another reason of soccer's little strenght in the US.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:

You obviously dont follow cricket Setanta

I have just literally laughed out loud. I once tried to follow a cricket match in the Ould Country, and was even assisted by some Oztralian backpackers who had attached themselves to me at Blarney Castle. Eventually, they nudged me to wake me up, and i lead them off to a pub, while explaining how one finds a meal in what was then a rather poor, and still rustically quaint Ireland.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:13 pm
Isn't cricket part of what they call "British humor"?
0 Replies