Momentum can do the rest
But in neutral you swerve
And cross over the lane line
Instant friction
Control yourself
A collision
No need to check for survivors
They leave with a simple gesture

I just found this going through my old computer. I actually found many poems on there, so maybe I'll post more in the future. I haven't written any poems in at least a couple years, though. Anyway, most of those poems aren't very good, I don't think, but I like the ones that use lots of word play. So, this is one of them! I wrote it in February 2002. It's a riddle poem, and the first person who can say what it is actually about wins a virtual high-five. I'll post in a couple days if no one can figure it out (it might be a bit tough).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 10
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:19 am
I think of a match head being dragged across the glycerin path, and shaken out with a gesture. I'm probably way off!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
That's a very good guess, stuh! Unfortunately, not what I had in mind. But still, very good. I'm impressed.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:01 am
Hmm, not much interest in guessing, it seems, so I'll just post the answer.

This is a riddle poem describing the sport of curling. The sheet of ice "appears flat" but is actually treated in a special method called pebbling to make it rough and perform better. The scoring circle has a radius of twelve feet from the button ("twelve miles outside the city"). Brushes are used to create friction which melts the ice in front of the stone to either decrease is curl, but not brushing at all lets it curl a lot ("neutral"). The "collision" is one stone hitting the other, and the losing team concedes with a handshake. This sport was my "new interest" in early 2002 when the Winter Olympics started.

I suppose that changing "Drive twelve miles outside the city" to "Drive to twelve clicks outside the city" might have made it a little more clear.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:41 am
I would never have guessed that one, smog!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:52 am
I was thinking curling, but then, I'm Canadian.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:20 am
I knew it all along. He he. Actually, I hadn't a clue. Curling's not much of a sport in southeast Texas.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 08:26 am
cavfancier wrote:
I was thinking curling, but then, I'm Canadian.

Then you should have said something!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:37 am
I loved this, Smog;-- its meaning was elusive, but its beauty was apparent. I'll think about it more, and come back...

0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:26 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
I'll think about it more, and come back...

You better not read the post where I give the answer, then.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
Miles is alright...if you had said "clicks" i would have just thought of the military distance, or of sighting my tactical rifle scope...I would never have gotten it no matter what! But curling is an interesting sport. Ive played it on my lake in the winter with jugs of frozen water haha
0 Replies