THE CORPORATION

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:33 pm
Anyone seen it yet? Its supposed to be really good. Rottentomatoes.com shows the vast majority of reviews are extremely positive (around 97% I believe).

I'm planning on checking it out this week, but I'm always interested in hearing others opinions on it. Anyone?

The following is from their website:

One hundred and fifty years ago, the corporation was a relatively insignificant entity. Today, it is a vivid, dramatic and pervasive presence in all our lives. Like the Church, the Monarchy and the Communist Party in other times and places, the corporation is today's dominant institution. But history humbles dominant institutions. All have been crushed, belittled or absorbed into some new order. The corporation is unlikely to be the first to defy history. In this complex and highly entertaining documentary, Mark Achbar, co-director of the influential and inventive MANUFACTURING CONSENT: NOAM CHOMSKY AND THE MEDIA, teams up with co-director Jennifer Abbott and writer Joel Bakan to examine the far-reaching repercussions of the corporation's increasing preeminence. Based on Bakan's book The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power, the film is a timely, critical inquiry that invites CEOs, whistle-blowers, brokers, gurus, spies, players, pawns and pundits on a graphic and engaging quest to reveal the 4corporation's inner workings, curious history, controversial impacts and possible futures. Featuring illuminating interviews with Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, Howard Zinn and many others, THE CORPORATION charts the spectacular rise of an institution aimed at achieving specific economic goals as it also recounts victories against this apparently invincible force.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,493 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
Anxiously awaiting a local theater release but haven't checked it out today yet. I think it's safe to say that a 97% favorable critical response is pretty damn good so I wouldn't hesitate to make a trip and not wait for a possible cable release -- it will make it to DVD.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
I finally saw it.

AMAZING.

Its a bit long, but the detail that they go into is amazing. Its less a movie, than an experience. Truly moving, and disturbing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:43 am
Saw it at the local arthouse premiere (in the heart of conservativeville, South Coast Plaza, Orange County). A scathingly on-target examination of what the evolution of the corporation means to every American citizen. The problem is the evolution has created a mutated monster.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:40 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:28 pm
Thanks, BBB -- great post!
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:06 pm
I saw this documentary today in one of my political science classes.

Oh, geez. It makes me feel horrible inside. Really.
And then I come here and read BBB's post, which makes me feel even worse.

Just the other day I saw a thread about how this one guy who mentioned that he wishes that the human race just goes extinct ASAP. NOw, with that I can relate somehow.

I guess we people (as us, the human race) cause our own suffering. And the selected group who concentrate the greatest amount of power in their hands cause the greatest amount of suffering, and pain, and misery to te rest of the world. In the movie, the corporations are compared to real psychopaths.

It's a good documentary but I felt like screaming...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:08 pm
That's my response and it's unusual that a thread nearly two years old has been revived -- it just recently happened with "The Passion of the Christ"!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:12 pm
superjuly wrote:
I saw this documentary today in one of my political science classes.

Oh, geez. It makes me feel horrible inside. Really.
And then I come here and read BBB's post, which makes me feel even worse.

Just the other day I saw a thread about how this one guy who mentioned that he wishes that the human race just goes extinct ASAP. NOw, with that I can relate somehow.

I guess we people (as us, the human race) cause our own suffering. And the selected group who concentrate the greatest amount of power in their hands cause the greatest amount of suffering, and pain, and misery to te rest of the world. In the movie, the corporations are compared to real psychopaths.

It's a good documentary but I felt like screaming...
You get used to it as you get older. You get cynical.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:06 pm
Hmmmm -- I was critical with a good dash of cynicism about the corporate structure in college in the 50's and 60's. Certainly didn't require my getting older. It's that establishment that is thoroughly engrained into our society and as long as there are people, it will thrive.
0 Replies