My Printer Is Dying. Can Anyone Recommend A Replacement?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
I bought my present black and white printer in 1999. Toner cartridges were pricy ($120--6,000pages) but I only had to replace them once a year.

Now replacement cartridges are no longer available and the printer itself is slow and creaky.

Can anyone recommend a printer for a reasonable price (with cartridges at a reasonable price)?

Mr. Noddy rather covets a printer/scanner because he never wants to go to a copy shop again. At present he uses a copy shop two or three times a year. Is a printer/scanner a good idea?

Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
This is the printer that CNet reccommends:

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_OfficeJet_4215/4505-3181_7-30871623.html?tag=upidmlp
Seems to do an awful lot, for a modest price.

This is the one that I have:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Canon_MultiPASS_MP700_Printer

Pricier, but well worth it!

Having a copier, to me, is like having a dishwasher. Before I had one, I thought, "What did I need it for"? The first time that I used it, I knew!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
Check out the HP 2175. It prints, scans, and copies. It does not FAX, but you can do that easily with your computer anyway, as long as you have a modem. It usually runs under $200 and you can find cartridges for it just about anywhere.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:32 pm
I just bought a combo fax, printer, copier, scanner and I truly love it. It saves space and is quite handy. Mine is a Brother MFC 3220C, and I got it at staples. It ran me almost $300 after buying the computer cable and the tax, but it's probably cheaper in the states. We pay 15% tax here. It's a very nice machine that prints nicely and fast. It's quiet compared to my other printer as well.

Good luck and have fun with your new future machine :-D
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:51 pm
Re: My Printer Is Dying. Can Anyone Recommend A Replacement?
Noddy24 wrote:
I bought my present black and white printer in 1999. Toner cartridges were pricy ($120--6,000pages) but I only had to replace them once a year.

Now replacement cartridges are no longer available and the printer itself is slow and creaky.

Can anyone recommend a printer for a reasonable price (with cartridges at a reasonable price)?

Mr. Noddy rather covets a printer/scanner because he never wants to go to a copy shop again. At present he uses a copy shop two or three times a year. Is a printer/scanner a good idea?

Any advice?

It sounds like you print a lot, but I don't know whether you print enough to justify $200 per month. For me, I was using a color inkjet printer and was spending about $550 per month on ink cartridges, so getting a color laser for $250/mo saved me plenty o' cash!

Over one year ago, I went to <a href="http://www.mastercleaner.com/free_printer.htm">www.freeprinters.com</a>.

I spent probably three weeks researching the program, (I AM a skeptic) before I signed up. My experience has been very, very, good.

The printer does a great job on both text and photos, is waterproof, and does not crack and peel off like normal magnetic toner.

The program I'm under costs me $250 a month (this is for ink--which gets me more prints than the $550 I was spending before). The printer (Xerox Phaser 8200) becomes mine free and clear in two years (I have just 11 months left).

Just last month, Freeprinters.com began a new, better program with the new Xerox Phaser 8600 printer. This program costs only around $200/mo.

Per-print cost for my Phaser printer is about 11 cents. On my inkjet, cost was more like 30 cents, if memory serves (hey, that was over a year ago!).

If you need more info, I'm happy to share it with you.

General Tsao
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:04 pm
cjhsa--

Thanks. Getting cartridges is important.

Montana--

Your baby sounds beautiful, but that's a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

General Tsao--

I've been spending about $20 a month on printing and hope not to have to spend too much more.

Many, many thanks to you all.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:30 pm
I forgot that I got sucked into paying for an extra year warrenty, so the machine was actually a little under $200. This stuff is cheaper in the states, so I bet you can get it for about $160.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:43 pm
Here's my new baby. The only things I don't like about it is that I can only scan paper and I can't print on glossy photo paper.

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11505/normal_Mvc-014f%7E15.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
Montana--

Loved your baby pictures.

Phoenix--

Mr. Noddy was enthralled with the practical review of HP Office Jet 4215 and with the idea that he'd be the first on his block to print and fax and scan and whatever. The older the boy, the bigger the toy--and he has tried to be Very Good.

Again, thanks all.
0 Replies