What add-ons are a good idea when buying a new computer?

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:35 am
I'm buying a new Powerbook today--I'm almost positive I'm going to really do it this time!

I have just a couple questions before I go through with this.

I don't know if I should get the Airport wireless hub. It's $129 as an add-on. Is this worth it? Is there any way to get it cheaper than that?

And about the case. The cheapest one they are offering with it is over $100. That seems like a lot. Do you think getting a case is worth all that money? Can you just go to a computer store and get a cheap case? Do I really need a case?

Is an extra battery worth it?

Other than these things, I think I'm set, but if you have any other suggestions on something I might have forgotten, thank you for adding it here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Gala

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:29 pm
kicky, it all depends on how much and how you want top use the computer. $129 sounds pretty good if you want to be connected all the time. same for the case. if you're planning on taking the computer with you, then invest in a good case.

i have a laptop. i got it because i didn't want the bulk of a regular computer. it's light and easy to transport when i move. but otherwse, it stays at home, i don't want to be "connected" all the time.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:30 pm
kicky, it all depends on how much and how you want to use the computer. $129 sounds pretty good if you want to be connected all the time. same for the case. if you're planning on taking the computer with you, then invest in a good case.

i have a laptop. i got it because i didn't want the bulk of a regular computer. it's light and easy to transport when i move. but otherwse, it stays at home, i don't want to be "connected" all the time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:44 pm
kicky, it all depends on how much and how you want to use the computer. $129 sounds pretty good if you want to be connected all the time. same for the case. if you're planning on taking the computer with you, then invest in a good case.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:09 pm
Rolling Eyes

I'm sold on the Airport thingie. I'm hardly expert advice, but it's cooool. There was an article about it in the NYT recently, lemme go find it...

(And Gus, if you copy my post, I'm gonna put a cheesehead on ya...)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:13 pm
Rolling Eyes

I'm sold on the Airport thingie. I'm hardly expert advice, but it's cooool. There was an article about it in the NYT recently, lemme go find it...

(And Gus, if you copy my post, I'm gonna put a cheesehead on ya...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:13 pm
Here we go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/22/technology/circuits/22state.html?ex=1248148800&en=7a25041911ae692f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Quote:
Last week, Apple introduced yet another way to eliminate wires from your life. It introduced the AirPort Express, a $130 something-or-other for both Windows PC's and Macs. There's no single pithy term or phrase for this invention; it has more tricks up its sleeve than David Blaine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
Well my computer wasn't cooperating (I want my eMac!!) so this is quick and messy, but...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDZAl4WNU71hs0tN3uRGsJ17cJN2fISsL0nuIbBpXEsDbf!sbJaVYKlLkQpxZDNoZcARZuSBqh79ehXEgqbqA2YnGujfF2jBCroOWlmu8lPY8*XOQi1vA/Montana.JPG
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:29 pm
Hee hee!!!! :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Psst... kicky... you buy it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:55 am
Yep, I got it!

I didn't get any of those extras. I live in a studio apartment, so I am going to just hook up through my cable modem and see how that goes first. I can always get the hub later if I want.

I got the 15-inch G4 Powerbook. Now I just have to decide how I will destroy my old clunky piece o' **** tower and monitor. Should I use a sledgehammer, a bowling ball, or just drop them out the window to smash into millions of little pieces on the street?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
Hey, congrats!!

Yeah, I'll be using the Airport (or Bluetooth -- I haven't figured out yet where they overlap) 'cause my little office is far away from hubby's office where printer scanner et al will be. I have no room for the peripherals -- just the monitor/ keyboard/ mouse -- so that will be really useful for me. But if you're in a studio apt...

As for the destruction, hmm, nice to contemplate. If they still work you could always go the philanthropist route, donate them to a school or something. Dropping it out the window seems a li'l risky... Sledgehammer sounds therapeutic.
0 Replies