In light of the Paris attacks, is it time to eradicate religion?

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:55 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Now, to fulfill my duties as self-appointed cheer-leader in this here thread, lemme say this here:

Don't wait...
Don't debate..
Git your **** together, and
ERADICATE!
And never too late. . .
To OBFUSCATE!
Very Happy
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 01:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
However, you haven't really addressed any of the points I made in reference to your rather childish and hypocritical proposition.
Not my proposition.
The thread title, that is.
My opinion is similar to Volf's. And I offered his essay for discussion.
As did he.

Well, based on what you posted here, Volf appears to believe that putting "the glove of Religion" on the hands of Policy makers and politicians can lead them to great excesses. The absurdity of that observation is quite manifest in the sad history of the 20th century, which amply demonstrated that explicitly anti religious and atheistic political movements are capable, indeed far more efficient at, mass murder and human destruction than even the worst examples of religious states.

The problem here is quite obviously with human nature, not religion.

Religion is often, not always, a moderator of the worst aspects of human nature, but even at it's best it is not perfectly effective.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 02:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

neologist wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
However, you haven't really addressed any of the points I made in reference to your rather childish and hypocritical proposition.
Not my proposition.
The thread title, that is.
My opinion is similar to Volf's. And I offered his essay for discussion.
As did he.

Well, based on what you posted here, Volf appears to believe that putting "the glove of Religion" on the hands of Policy makers and politicians can lead them to great excesses. The absurdity of that observation is quite manifest in the sad history of the 20th century, which amply demonstrated that explicitly anti religious and atheistic political movements are capable, indeed far more efficient at, mass murder and human destruction than even the worst examples of religious states.

The problem here is quite obviously with human nature, not religion.

Religion is often, not always, a moderator of the worst aspects of human nature, but even at it's best it is not perfectly effective.

I agree with almost everything you said here, George, except that I would have added "...(just as it often worsens those aspects)" somewhere in that last sentence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 02:45 pm
@georgeob1,
So. You're saying you did not read the article.
All I cut out was the caveat.

[edit] What I considered the caveat.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 02:48 pm
@georgeob1,
I think we all know why people do the things they do, eh? Money, that's why! Would anybody, for example, join the army and go slaughter people if they didn't get paid?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

How does one eradicate an idea?

Misattribute the idea to say one of the Kardashian sisters or Justin Bieber? You may not fully eradicate an idea but you'll poison it like frakking pollutes many people's wells.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Misattribute the idea to say one of the Kardashian sisters or Justin Bieber? You may not fully eradicate an idea but you'll poison it like frakking pollutes many people's wells.

Yeah, good thinkin! That's my story from now on, and I'm stickin to it. Dubya thought up this Islam ****. That's the ticket!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:04 pm
@fresco,
I was raised catholic, completely surrounded even more than most catholics of my time, by missionaries and a, never mind a, the major rosary crusader, at our dinner table over the years, good schools and in retrospect one creepy one.

I later lost all that as what I believed, went through a few years of high aggravation, and mellowed out. In time I could go into churches again, for the architecture but also the places of community, no longer mine, but by then not derided.

I'm now a 50 year long atheist, but I don't hate religion, and I'm fine with what you are calling gestures, rather arrogantly. I see religion as a pulse for many people and it's not my business to argue them over to my view.

Apparently you take religion as an insidious evil.

I disagree with many situations where people want to install their religious beliefs on others, but that is a separate subject.

I would be right there with them at Notre Dame if I could have.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:14 pm
@neologist,
Good luck trying. How will it be accomplished without bloodshed?
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Good luck trying. How will it be accomplished without bloodshed?

The more bloodshed, the more better! Just ask Stalin. Or Mao. Or Pol Pot. Or.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:34 pm
@neologist,
I was raised to like Eugenio Pacelli and then, still catholic, got over it. I, naturally, don't know what was going on in his mind, though I read his close helper was german. I won't extrapolate from that.

I read, and still have a biased book in the sense of pro serb, that made me at least think, years later - Spy in the Vatican. Bronko Bokan had signed it, but I got it at a thrift store. Bokan was head of the Yugoslavian Red Cross at the time.

The matter of concern to me was how hard he tried to get through the hierarchy to tell what was going on. The cardinal in the way was the next to the next Pope, Montini.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I was raised to like Eugenio Pacelli and then, still catholic, got over it

Jo, now that the topic has kinda touched on Catholicism in particular, and the question of how religion affects people, in general, I'm posting this here instructive video.

The other day I showed you the penguin scene, but ya never saw what led up to it--which is important to the whole understanding, I figure.

Well, either that or else I just feel like posting it because it has one of the best opening theme songs in movie history ("She caught the Katy").

PS: After posting it, I notice that it's coming through all red on my screen. You can hit the "youtube" button there in the lower right-hand corner if ya want, if it comes out the same for you. That will take you directly to the link I embedded it from.

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:55 pm
@ossobuco,
An interesting read that terminated my Catholicism:
The Deputy
By Rolf Hochhuth
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:20 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Dubya thought up this Islam ****.

Wrong. Radical Islam has been around for centuries but he sure as hell helped increased its adherents.
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:38 pm
@neologist,
Neo please don't tell me you watched that show on tv that said the same thing about the paris attacks:

Religion is getting out of hand.

The right religion (christianity) gets nobody out of hand. Rather, it fixes your iniquities.

All of the false religions make them do these things.

Mark 7:7
Quote:

In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

fresco

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I take religion to be a potential 'social evil' which is exacerbated when state institutions promote its status beyond that of an arbitrary belief system. The apocryphal scenario is that of 'army chaplains' calling on 'God' to bless their respective sides before slaughtering each other. What you say I call 'gestures' may not be of the same order, and may be innocuous at the level of individuals, but when sanctioned 'officially' I suggest other forces are coming into play.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:07 pm
@layman,
I'm not in the mood, nag me tomorrow.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:15 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:
Neo please don't tell me you watched that show on tv that said the same thing about the paris attacks:
No
Jjj wrote:
The right religion (christianity) gets nobody out of hand. . .
christianity has equally bloodstained hands.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:19 pm
@fresco,
We had a microcosm thing about creches at Palisades Park in Santa Monica, place I use to run and made 3 paintings of, each 3x5 ft or there abouts.

I remember the St.Monica statue (is it still there) from being six.

The palisades cliffs have fair history. Runners run it, even me slomo back then. Homeless abide. People have fallen off, when the cliff disintegrated. I was around for all of that.

Meantime, much gas passing from side to side.

I have loved the simple park.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 01:28 am
STOP PRESS
British cinemas have just banned an advert on 'the power of prayer' on the grounds that 'it may cause offense'.
0 Replies