Soccer Fans in Turkey Boo During Moment of Silence for Paris Victims

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 12:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Some football sites (actually: many) had long comments about this match.
The one and other asked Turkish speaking, knowledgeable about the Turkish football scen, experts. All agree that the booing and whistling when playing the Greek anthem was unacceptable but common. (It's done vice versa as well)
It is said that the chants of “Martyrs never die, the country will never be divided” and the reported cries of “Allahu Akbar” were in no way meant to show support to the perpetrators of the Paris attacks.
According to those writers, the former slogan is actually a common anti-terrorism chant expressing a sentiment that no matter what kind of attacks Turkey faces, it will remain as one. It too was chanted during the moment of silence after the Ankara bombings. As for “Allahu Akbar,” the article points to another popular chant that, while nationalistic in origin, has become a typical “Let’s Go Team!” type of thing.

Others notice, it could have come worse, like it happened in previous matches between Greece and Turkey
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 12:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've never liked when people were interrupting the moments of silence at football matches, be it just for a local member or something else.
Unfortunately, this happens, nowadays even more than in the past decades.

(I've just read that in Jersey City, New Jersey, thousands and thousands of people were cheering when the World Trade Center come down. Not comparable but as disgusting in my opinion.)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 01:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It happens.

Quote:
Bates was widely regarded as a local hero for his dedication to the club over a period of 66 years, and his death in November 2003 was widely commemorated by the club and supporters' community.

The first game after his death was the home match against Portsmouth in the League Cup and was the first derby between the two local rivals since an FA Cup match at The Dell in 1996. A minute's silence in Bates' memory barely lasted 30 seconds after jeers and boos from fans in the away end. Those who booed and jeered were widely criticised by the media and by fellow Portsmouth fans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bates_(footballer)<br />
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:33 am
@izzythepush,
Similar happened yesterday in Gelsenkirchen, before the match between Schalke and Bayern Munich started: dozens of Bayern hooligans were arrested.
"It's for me and all of us absolutely inexplicable. How can you behave in such a moment, after the terrible events of Paris, how can you be so disrespectful towards society and football. I expected that the fans of FC Bayern behaved more sensitively and with decency ", the chairman of the football record champion, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge criticized after the game.

(To be honest and although I'm a supporter of Schalke: I had expected the Schalke "fans" to behave in such a way.)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Most teams have a percentage of supporters more interested in fighting than football.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 07:28 am
@izzythepush,
Yesterday's top-match between Panathinaikos Athens and Olympiakos Piraeus wasn't played yesterday due to violence ...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2jan5gk.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 07:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We're not too bad now, after the bad old days of the 70s and 80s a lot of work has been done to keep those idiots away from football grounds. When it does happen it tends to be the lower league clubs.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 02:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What is the topic at hand, Finn? The thread is a political propaganda hit thread meant to smear a large group of people with the offensive actions of a small group of soccer fans.

Surely you can see that Finn.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 10:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What is the topic at hand, Finn? The thread is a political propaganda hit thread meant to smear a large group of people with the offensive actions of a small group of soccer fans.

Surely you can see that Finn.

I posted a link without comment or interpretation, nor have I made any since.

Now, even stating a verifiable fact is an attack? Linking in a CNN article without comment is propaganda?

Facts are merely facts, and you have no idea what I "meant.'
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 11:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I posted a link without comment or interpretation, nor have I made any since.
Facts are merely facts, and you have no idea what I "meant.'
And? What do you mean?
What is your opinion about football spectators in general and specifically at such moments? About the European football hooligans' scene? The situation at known critical national matches?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The thread is a political propaganda hit thread meant to smear a large group of people with the offensive actions of a small group of soccer fans.

And I suppose so was the CNN article?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 02:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well yes. If you read Walter's post the Turks were booing the terrorists, it's a cultural thing. Either the CNN reporter was ignorant, or he was manipulating events to make one group, Turks or football fans look bad. Shoddy journalism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 02:40 pm
Just adding that the minute of silence of two 3rd Bundesliga matches was disrupted with heavy and loud attacks against Merkel, fights with security after chanting racist songs ... (Those two clubs [Erzgebirge Aue, 1. FC Magdeburg] are known for their neo-Nazi "fans".)
0 Replies