public computer privacy?

Don1

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:44 am
I'm sure this is a silly question, but when you send emails from a public library computer do you have any expectation of privacy, or can anyone read what you have sent?

Library staff for example.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 16
No top replies

MurrayS

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:53 am
Howdy:

Well, if your public libraries are anything like the ones in Canada, they have the right and do monitor everything going out and coming in.. after all, it is their system and they have to make sure nothing nasty is being done with them !!

Murray
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:44 am
If I am ever on a public computer, I make sure that I log out. I also delete all the temporary files before I leave. I also don't write anything that I wouldn't want seen by someone else.

A few years ago, I had something interesting come in my Outlook Express E Mail, from a person who had gotten the address wrong. It was from one MD to another, and it described in detail the structure of a business that one of the doctors had planned. The sender made it very clear that the information was confidential, and that the receiver should keep the info to himself.

Needless to say, I wrote back to the sender, explained what happened, and assured him that his "secret" was safe with me. But the experience taught me a good lesson. If I have to send anything that is REALLY confidential and important, it goes by snail mail, and registered letter.

Also, I have been inadvertently been placed on a list of some people who seem to communicate with one another, and meet from time to time. That one I simply blocked.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
public computer privacy
There is no assurance of privacy on a public computer. Actually, even on your own computer, you really wouldn't be smart to send any email message that you wouldn't put on a postcard.

BTW - no question is silly; the only silly thing is not asking the question.
0 Replies

David Emerson

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:35 pm
Not only can they read what you send, the person you sent it to can trace it back to the library you sent it from. Nothing is hidden on the web. How else do you think all those "secret" agencies find out information.

Plus isn't it necessary to buy your internet time? Even from the library?
0 Replies

BCP1

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:41 pm
having worked in librarys, I can tell you this.
at least in the U.S.A any message sent is logged.
should the need arise, the police can go in and retract what was sent and put a time stamp on it.
The time will allow them to check the libraries log book and place it to an exact user.

If you did something wrong, you might want to think about changing your name, or move or something.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
Public Computers are absolutely not private.

Not only can the library record everything you send (or even type) electronically.

There are many viruses that record everthing you type. Any patron who is not careful (or doesn't care) can download one of these viruses.

Finally, any other user of this public computer can install a program to record everything you type.

Library staffs probably don't have the will, or the resources to keep their computers secure. This is a big job for non-public computers. In a library setting with computers open to the public, this is darn near impossible.

So, be very afraid.

Do not type anything on a public computer that you don't want anyone to know, Period.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:06 am
Even your computer can reveal everything you type, old emails that you sent or received.

There are ways to restore deleted files, and even on sectors of a disk that has been over written.

Emails that go out on the I.N.T.E.R.N.E.T. can be on many computer systems between sender and receiver.

The only way to keep something private is to tell no one. Do not write it down, take no photographs, do not make any recordings, etc. If it is only in your mind no one else will know.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:43 am
public computer privacy
No, I don't know of any libraries that charge for Internet use. Doubtless they have an unlimited use setup.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
When I was a boy in school I was taught that in Russia there was no such thing as freedom, every thought you had, every thing you said was monitored by "big brother"

Velcome Comrades.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
Re: public computer privacy
Tomkitten wrote:
There is no assurance of privacy on a public computer. Actually, even on your own computer, you really wouldn't be smart to send any email message that you wouldn't put on a postcard.

BTW - no question is silly; the only silly thing is not asking the question.

Even with encription software, anything can be un-encripted.

Tomkitten, your tag line is PURFECT.
0 Replies

zippideedewdah

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:44 pm
I live in DC. Computer usage is free. I also frequent MD. Usage is free. Some libraries require you to use a library card to log in. That could help trace usage. Also, most libraries in MD have a system to track down which exact computer is used, and most have installed cameras. So if someone was using a public computer for illegal use, they'd have not only computer, times but a visual log of the person using it. Alot of people don't know that.

I have a friend who is a library director in Maryland. Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:26 pm
You all are going a bit far.

You can get decent privacy on your own computer if you know what you are doing.

There is encryption software available that allows you to send messages over the internet that the even the government would have a hard time cracking. GnuPG using RSA encryption has been shown to be quite secure.

To be secure you need to avoid viruses or trojan horse software. This means you shouldn't download any software unless you are absolute sure you can trust

You also need to make sure that no one has physical access to your computer. If anyone can mess with your computer, there are infinite ways to violate your privacy, from installing software to putting in electronic sniffers to simply reading your hard drive.

if you are really worried about being investigated, the warnings about cleaning your hard drive are true. People can read the contents of deleted files if they have the right equipment.

Several years ago I worked for a software company with a military contract. There was pretty tight security including blocked windows, armed guards and personnel searches and I am sure a bunch of other stuff I wasn't aware of.

When the contract ended, the hard disks were considered a security risk even though they had been erased and overwritten. They were pulverized-- literally ground to powder under the watch of armed soldiers.

Of course, the amount of security you need depends on the information you have. The best security is to live a boring life.

I am pretty careful about the software I download, I use a firewall, and I do use RSA encryption at times. I am pretty sure no one finds me interesting enough to break in and compromise my computer.

If it is necessary, there is quite a bit you can do to keep your privacy.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:49 am
public computer privacy?
If you really want total privacy, add a removable external hard drive, and disconnect it whenever you are away from the computer. There are even mini drives on which you can keep stuff.

I keep personal information on a separate hd. BTW - if you are getting rid of an old computer, remove the hd and destroy it. You can overwrite the material on it, but even Government spec overwriting isn't 100% secure.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:09 am
Public computers can be good for privacy if you are doing something you do not wish to trace to your identity.

On the other hand, if what you are doing is something you do not want known (as opposed to not wanting it traced to your name) it is not good for privacy.

So a hacker who wants to release a virus may see a public computer as their best friend, while someone doing online banking should see it as a danger.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
public computer privacy
Some libraries require you to sign up for a specific period of time to use the Internet, so as to make sure that everyone gets a chance. Even that wouldn't give you away, unless they require you to show your library card.
0 Replies

lone nut

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
To get privacy on you OWN computer, try gnupg. Note that the program i absolutly free
0 Replies