When a child commits a murder, whos fault is it really???

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:14 pm
I think it's most definitly the childs fault depending on the age, I'm referring to teenagers or even 10 year olds. It is as simple as this, the kid pulled the trigger.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,058 • Replies: 50
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:24 pm
There may be parental issues. For example, if a child of six is told killing is good then...

Otherwise I agree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:30 pm
This is much too complex an issue to lump them all together and say, the kid pulled the trigger, it's (always) his fault. Individual cases will vary.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
Individual cases do vary, but in general, when a kid commits a murder there's a very bad adult in his life somewhere.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:22 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Individual cases do vary, but in general, when a kid commits a murder there's a very bad adult in his life somewhere.

is this a relative of the "bad environment/bad upbringing" so let it go argument?

i just saw 2 16 year olds go to prison for murder. i am glad they went.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:25 am
This does apply to a bad environment argument. And I'll restate my question. In what cases is it the fault of the parents when a teen commits murder?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:33 am
I would say it's the parents' fault if the murder is in direct obedience to the parent "jane, go kill becky" or if it's a mentally challenged kid and the parent let a loaded gun in an easy to reach location. I don't really think lack of attention from a parent, or paying the wrong kind of attention to a child puts the parent in full responsibility ofa teenager's actions.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:56 am
onyxelle wrote:
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:

is this a relative of the "bad environment/bad upbringing" so let it go argument?

i just saw 2 16 year olds go to prison for murder. i am glad they went.

No, not "let it go" but take it under consideration, and make sure there is the possibility of rehabilitation as opposed to solely punishment.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
If a parent sees their child being brutal or killing early and does nothing about it, then it would be their fault, IMO, if that little kid gets older and actually murders someone.

Here's the scenario: Let's say that you see your young child, 3 or 4 years old, deliberately kill something like a butterfly or a bird and you do or say nothing or worse, laugh about it or applaud the behavior in some way as a sign of toughness or strength, which parents often approve of, especially men. (sorry guys but you know how some of you are with your offspring, especially your male offspring) The child will think that it's okay to kill, they've got your approval. Later on that child may kill a pet, a dog or a cat, and if nothing is done about it, you've got an ugly situation brewing,

I can see that. The parent will have to confess what they had witnessed when the kid was younger, tho. But can't you see that too. "Oh my God! I should have done something years ago when he killed Fluffy the cat."

If I heard a parent say something like that, under those circumstances, it would eat me up until I called the authorities, especially if the kid is in jail, because maybe if the first killing of the butterfly was handled differently, they wouldn't be faced with their child murdering someone later on.
Just an example... or is it just my imagination working overtime this morning? :wink:
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:02 am
In most cases, when a teen who can think for themselves with no learning disablities, kills someone, he/she should be deemed responsible. I don't think any factors such as beatings or violence around the house are strong enough to say that the teen is innocent. In order to kill someone you need to make a choice. Making choices infers that you can wiegh circumstances and know right from wrong. And to be honest, if somebody doesn't know right from wrong, will we want them free to kill again, without knowing they've committed such a hanus act?
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:02 am
No. Any kid that would kill a living thing on purpose needs to be addressed ASAP.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
eoe wrote:
If a parent sees their child being brutal or killing early and does nothing about it, then it would be their fault, IMO, if that little kid gets older and actually murders someone.

So you're saying that if an adult, say, a grown 27 year old man, muders someone like his boss because he got laid off, then he isn't going to be held responsible? That is ridiculous. There is no way a grown man can kill somebody and not know that it is wrong. And if he really did do it to please his parents, don't you think he is still a danger to society? When it comes to killings, prison time is intended to keep the American public safe, not make the criminal think about what they did.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:21 am
I thought we were talking about kids.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:40 am
eoe wrote:

Here's the scenario: Let's say that you see your young child, 3 or 4 years old, deliberately kill something like a butterfly or a bird and you do or say nothing or worse, laugh about it or applaud the behavior in some way as a sign of toughness or strength, which parents often approve of, especially men. (sorry guys but you know how some of you are with your offspring, especially your male offspring) The child will think that it's okay to kill, they've got your approval. Later on that child may kill a pet, a dog or a cat, and if nothing is done about it, you've got an ugly situation brewing,

I can see that. The parent will have to confess what they had witnessed when the kid was younger, tho. But can't you see that too. "Oh my God! I should have done something years ago when he killed Fluffy the cat."

Respect for all forms of life must be taught from the time a child is very young. When my son was about 15 months old he smacked our small dog on the back. I immediately corrected him. As he got a little older I explained to him that the dog has feelings and that her little body hurts if you hit her and she feels scared inside. When he was 3 or so he got a firefly and pulled the wings off. Again, I told him that God made that bug just like He made you and that all living things are Gods creation to be loved and cared for. I said you wouldn't want somebody to pull your arms off would you? You wouldn't want someone to pull mommy's arms off would you? He looked horrified and said NO!

If a parent doesn't teach their child to respect life how can they be expected to respect it when they grow up?
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:55 am
Right-o!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Can you see, if nothing is done, how this behavior can result into a 12 or 13 year old murderer?
Children have to be taught. Alot of parents take for granted that a child comes into the world knowing the basics like thou shalt not kill but they don't. They have to be taught.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
eoe wrote:
Can you see, if nothing is done, how this behavior can result into a 12 or 13 year old murderer?

And if the child doesn't commit murder at the age of 12 or 13 he/she will become, in many cases, an abuser. Someone who abuses friends, co-workers and eventually a significant other. Often times, they are abusive to society in general (anti-social). Eventually, that abuse can lead to murder.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
Or grow up to lead the nation into an unnecessary war or something...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
Alright Suzy. Don't you have enough of a battle going on in that other thread?! Smile
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:20 am
[/quote]If a parent doesn't teach their child to respect life how can they be expected to respect it when they grow up?[/quote]

Stupid question. It's obviously because when these children grow up their brains will be more developed and they will be able to imagine consequences of their actions much better. They can actually think for themselves when they grow up.
0 Replies