Can anyone ID this painting by description only (no photo)?

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 11:58 pm
I saw this painting once many years ago while flipping through an art book in a library. It really caught my interest, but I did not make a note of the title or artist. I've never forgotten it though, and I would love to find a print of it. I think it is a relatively well-known piece, yet I can't locate an image of it online...although a title or artist name would no doubt help greatly. Anyway, here is a description of the painting. The layout is vertical, in the foreground a woman and a man are playing croquet on the front lawn of large house, the woman is dressed in a long white angelic-looking gown and the man is dressed in a formal black tuxedo with small bat-like wings protruding from his shoulders, the house behind them has been partially destroyed by a tornado that is receding into the background. It appeared to me that the two people had just been killed by the twister, thus their attire, and they were merely spirits on the lawn. The style has a sort of primitive folk art feel to it, not very realistic, with that kind of flat perspective. I would guess it was painted in the early to mid 1900's...perhaps the late 1800's. The subject matter reminds me of Edward Gorey's work, you know, a bit odd and macabre, but the overall painting is very light and bright. I really hope someone can help me identify this mysterious work of art. It's been haunting me for decades!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 464 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 09:57 am
@Pambot3000,
Interesting question but I've no idea, so my answer is just to bump the thread up.
0 Replies