Is Richard Dawkins a scientist?

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"The 'multiverse' is the ultimate answer to existential questions for atheists."

Horseshit. What an idiotic claim, even by your low standards. It does demonstrate, however, that you just came here, as is the case with so many holy rollers, to vilify atheists.
Is that not a common device used by them to refute the "fine tuned universe" argument?

I have nothing against atheists. My dearly loved GF is an atheist.
Tell me God don't have a great sense of humor.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Are you really so dull-witted as to think that atheists go around every day confronting hilariously stupid questions such as a "fine-tuned universe argument?" Are you really so dull-witted as to think that it is reasonable for you to make blanket statements about what all atheists do or don't think?

Doesn't . . . the verb form you want was "doesn't."

If you truly have nothing against atheists, why do you spend so much time cobbling together witless straw man fallacies about what atheists think? Whay are you so obsessed with atheists?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:17 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Doesn't . . . the verb form you want was "doesn't."
I blame it on layman. Been hang'n wit dat dood too much, ya knows?

Quote:
If you truly have nothing against atheists, why do you spend so much time cobbling together witless straw man fallacies about what atheists think? Whay are you so obsessed with atheists?
Because apparently they are the ones you can have interesting conversations about God with. Believe me, I tried with the holy rollers. Not happening.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:22 am
The only things more annoying than stupid holy rollers are curious holy rollers.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:26 am
Naw, having 'red herring' flung at you without accompanying counter-argument is way more annoying .
FBM

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:31 am
@Leadfoot,
Sucks to be caught out, don't it? Pro tip: Try making an argument without fallacies instead of complaining about being called on them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:36 am
@Leadfoot,
You put up straw man fallacies constantly--why should anyone argue against them, given that they are false statements of someone's position in the first place?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 07:09 am
FBM has yet to make an argument, just likes to fling charges of 'red herring' and taunt 'No proof! No proof!' From the sidelines.

Set, if you're going to make the charge of 'strawman', you have to give some rational for why that is, just as I have given supporting argument why it is not.

Look back no further than our brief 'multiverse' exchange.
FBM

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 07:28 am
@Leadfoot,
I've made the same argument from the beginning. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, but that won't make it go away: You don't have any evidence that your god exists. If you want people to accept your cosmology, you need to correct that failing. You won't do it with empty rhetoric and logical fallacies.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:28 am
@FBM,
Help! I'm can't get this repetitive song out of my head - 'No proof, no proof...' Mad
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 09:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I'm can't get this repetitive song out of my head - 'No proof, no proof...

Dawkins, he got PROOF, you lose!

Quote:
Without any evidence, the reasonable thing to do is to not take a position. Unless, according to Dawkins, you are talking about God....The difference between the two is whether the question of God's existence can ever be answered using science. Dawkins claims that it can be.

Dawkins now introduces the ‘multiverse’ theory, which says that beyond our universe there exists perhaps an infinite number of other universes, each having a different variation in the laws of nature....Dawkins then claims that because biologists are so intimate with natural selection, they are uniquely qualified to pontificate about the probabilities of the existence of the universe, whereas theologians are just ignorant....At this point Dawkins says that we can completely dismiss the existence of God and shake our heads disappointingly at anyone who is too blind to see the logic of his argument. Maybe the reason for such blindness is because of people's widespread ignorance about the power of natural selection...

Much of what Dawkins had to say in the first three chapters, especially his argument against agnosticism, depended entirely on his promise to prove in chapter four that God was too improbable to exist. Dawkins based the entire credibility of his book on this chapter, and the only proof that he delivered was a rhetorical hypothesis

That's SCIENTIFIC proof, so there!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 10:58 am
@FBM,
Quote:
But seriously FBM, Dawkins arguments regarding the implausibility of a God were - LAME.

FBM would show ya just how powerful Dawkins' argument are, but he can't see them. The boy has me on ignore. So I'll do it for him:

It's SCIENCE, fool! Aint no metaphysics, no nuthin like that. It's FACT.

Q.E.D.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 11:25 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
...you just came here, as is the case with so many holy rollers, to vilify atheists

VICTIMIZED, yet again, sho nuff.

Quote:
I just call them holy rollers because it tends to piss them off.

http://able2know.org/topic/301364-5#post-6065099
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:03 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Without a shred of evidence to support it, the only difference between cosmological evolution and any other kind of creation myth is that it is cleverly shrouded in scientific words. Dawkins does this a lot throughout his book.

Makin up tales about creation, using natural selection as the moderator, is that the suggestion? Well, what else would you expect from Richard, eh? Many prominent evolutionary theorists, like Stephen Gould, for example, always accused him of inventing "just so" stories to explain the existence of various biological traits via natural selection. They then acted like this was a bad thing. They had the audacity to complaint that it was "unscientific."

What do they know about science? If science can't make up a good tale, then what damn good is it, I ask ya?
Tuna

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:16 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Makin up tales about creation, using natural selection as the moderator, is that the suggestion?

Yes. He recently became a cosmologist. As the link you listed mentioned, he hasn't yet explained how random mutation and genetic drift affected the development of the universe. Maybe that's in his next book.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I blame it on layman. Been hang'n wit dat dood too much, ya knows?

adios
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
adios

Sheeit, Leddy, now ya done went an done it, eh? Sounds like you're gunna git ignored. I wonder if she also ignores her husband (or shack-up, whatever).

Setanta said:
Quote:
Oh no! More wimmins ! ! !

I ain't never gonna post in this thread again!

http://able2know.org/topic/301431-2#post-6071756
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:45 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Yes. He recently became a cosmologist

Well, I wouldn't look at it as "recently." As a zoologist, Richard has long recognized the awesome power of natural selection. Once you grasp that, you're an expert in everything: physics, theology, psychology, sociology, cosmology, you name it.

Quote:
Dawkins then claims that because biologists are so intimate with natural selection, they are uniquely qualified to pontificate about the probabilities of the existence of the universe, whereas theologians are just ignorant.
Tuna

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:55 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't look at it as "recently." As a zoologist, Richard has long-recognized the awesome power of natural selection. Once you grasp that, you're an expert in everything: physics, theology, cosmology, you name it.

Richard Rosen complained that biology has become a sub-specialty of physics. Dawkins aims at correcting that.

But seriously, the most important take-away I see in a closer inspection of Dawkins' outlook is not that in some ways he's just silly. It's that the adaptationism he advocates is part of the doctrine of people who are neo-Nazi in everything but name.

PZ Myers calls it "bad science."
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:01 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
PZ Myers calls it "bad science."

Well, thank god he didn't call it "non-science." I've always thought that the Nazi ideology--master race, eugenics, satanic rituals, all that--was highly scientific. If it wasn't, why would so many people be willing to die for it?