Is Richard Dawkins a scientist?

FBM

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Help! I'm can't get this repetitive song out of my head - 'No proof, no proof...' Mad

I know the cure! Evidence for your god claim! Laughing
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:28 pm
@layman,
I just got down-voted by a Nazi. Nazis are gutless.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:02 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
I just got down-voted by a Nazi. Nazis are gutless.

Ya know what I hate most, Tuna? I HATE Illinois Nazis, that's what!

Tuna

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:48 pm
@layman,
All Nazis are bad.

You touched on an important point when you said that any suggestion that we should take a closer look at Dawkins becomes clouded by a knee-jerk reaction: that it must either be coming from a theist or a disgruntled peer. We're better than that. Or we should be. Atheist, of all people, should be attentive to facts.

Setanta earlier warned that we should be wary of those who co-opt scientific claims for nefarious purposes.

Thomas, ehBeth, and engineer all took time out of their busy schedules to post opinions that are clearly uninformed. What's important here is that in the process, they advocated views that not only do not have a place in contemporary evolutionary biology but are presently being touted in the name of anti-Semitism and sexism.

Be the decent people I assume you are in real life. Pay attention to what you're advocating.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 09:03 pm
@layman,
ehBeth says:
"adios"

Quote:
Sheeit, Leddy, now ya done went an done it, eh? Sounds like you're gunna git ignored. I wonder if she also ignores her husband (or shack-up, whatever).

That ehBeth is one up-tight b.., uh, lady. I sho gonna miss her.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 11:13 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Setanta earlier warned that we should be wary of those who co-opt scientific claims for nefarious purposes

I know I already said this, but I was surprised at Farmer's level-headed assessment of Dawkins. Seeing as he's always accusing me of being a fundy creationist whenever I bring up contemporary evolutionary views which downplay natural selection, I kinda had him pegged as being pretty reactionary.

Turns out, that boy aint quite the ideologue I thought he was. Some others, not so much.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 11:28 pm
@layman,
I give Dawkins, for all his extremism, one thing. He is genuinely overwhelmed by the "apparent design/teleology" that nature displays. For whatever reason, he can't stand the thought of any prior intelligence in the universe, so he fights with all his might againt it. But he wouldn't be fighting so hard if he didn't see a threatending "foe."

So many of these scientists just blandly accept, without much thought, the claim that "everything was just an accident." Doesn't faze them, or raise any questions or doubts at all. If that's what they're taught, that's what they accept, without further ado. They seem rather dull and insensitive to the marvel of life to me. They do, however, become dedicated defenders of whatever scieintific orthodoxy they have been indoctrinated with. Whatever that is, its THE TRUTH for them.

Einstein had some thoughts on these kind---I might take the time to try to find them.
layman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 11:50 pm
@layman,
This isn't the passage I had in mind, but it's a good one I came across, praising Planck:

Quote:
In the temple of science are many mansions, and various indeed are they that dwell therein and the motives that have led them thither. Many take to science out of a joyful sense of superior intellectual power; science is their own special sport to which they look for vivid experience and the satisfaction of ambition; many others are to be found in the temple who have offered the products of their brains on this altar for purely utilitarian purposes. Were an angel of the Lord to come and drive all the people belonging to these two categories out of the temple, the assemblage would be seriously depleted, but there would still be some men, of both present and past times, left inside. Our Planck is one of them, and that is why we love him.
I am quite aware that we have just now light-heartedly expelled in imagination many excellent men...For these people any sphere of human activity will do, if it comes to a point; whether they become engineers, officers, tradesmen, or scientists depends on circumstances.

Man tries to make for himself in the fashion that suits him best a simplified and intelligible picture of the world; he then tries to some extent to substitute this cosmos of his for the world of experience, and thus to overcome it. This is what the painter, the poet, the speculative philosopher, and the natural scientist do, each in his own fashion. Each makes this cosmos and its construction the pivot of his emotional life, in order to find in this way the peace and security which he cannot find in the narrow whirlpool of personal experience.

What place does the theoretical physicist's picture of the world occupy among all these possible pictures?...In regard to his subject matter the physicist has to limit himself very severely: he must content himself with describing the most simple events which can be brought within the domain of our experience; all events of a more complex order are beyond the power of the human intellect to reconstruct with the subtle accuracy and logical perfection which the theoretical physicist demands.

The supreme task of the physicist is to arrive at those universal elementary laws from which the cosmos can be built up by pure deduction. There is no logical path to these laws; only intuition, resting on sympathetic understanding of experience, can reach them...there is no logical bridge between phenomena and their theoretical principles; this is what Leibnitz described so happily as a "pre-established harmony."

The longing to behold this pre-established harmony is the source of the inexhaustible patience and perseverance with which Planck has devoted himself, as we see, to the most general problems of our science, refusing to let himself be diverted to more grateful and more easily attained ends...The state of mind which enables a man to do work of this kind is akin to that of the religious worshiper or the lover; the daily effort comes from no deliberate intention or program, but straight from the heart. (Einstein)

I wonder if Dawkins would be left in, or expelled from the temple, eh?

Even though the whole passage is relatively brief, I was pretty selective in what I pasted here. The whole thing can be seen at:

http://www.neurohackers.com/index.php/fr/menu-top-neurotheque/68-cat-nh-spirituality/99-principles-of-research-by-albert-einstein
layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 12:20 am
@layman,
This aint the one I had in mind either, but it might be interesting to contrast Einstein's views on "religion" with those of Dawkins:

Quote:
I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 06:00 am
@layman,
Quote:
The longing to behold this pre-established harmony is the source of the inexhaustible patience and perseverance with which Planck has devoted himself, as we see, to the most general problems of our science, refusing to let himself be diverted to more grateful and more easily attained ends...
I often wonder what those who demand 'proof' make of the virtually universal longing to know that harmony. Sure, most are diverted to those 'more easily attained ends', some in 'science' and some in religious dogma. But no one can miss the ubiquitous pull to know the answer, not the theist, agnostic nor the atheist.

I don't think there is a more viewed thread than the one on 'ID' . Seems to be the neutral ground where all go in answer to that urge to know. Not that that is proof of anything, but I'm just say'n...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 06:24 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
FBM has yet to make an argument, just likes to fling charges of 'red herring' and taunt 'No proof! No proof!' From the sidelines.

Set, if you're going to make the charge of 'strawman', you have to give some rational for why that is, just as I have given supporting argument why it is not.

Look back no further than our brief 'multiverse' exchange.

Really--you don't know what a straw man fallacy is? As an example, that BS you posted about "multiverse" and atheists is a straw man fallacy--unless you are contending that all atheists always bring up "multiverse," in which case your claim is hilariously unbelievable.

Any time you ascribe a claim or an argument to someone who has made no such claim nor advanced any such argument, that's a straw man fallacy. Get it?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 06:54 am
@Setanta,
Oh good grief man, I don't need you to define 'Strawman' for me. And if I generalized about atheists I don't suppose you've ever done the same with 'holy rollers'?

If you have never heard 'multiverse' used to counter the 'finely tuned universe' argument, you haven't been paying attention. You know, 'of all those universes, ONE of them had to be just right for life, it was inevitable, blah, blah...'
layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 06:57 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Any time you ascribe a claim or an argument to someone who has made no such claim nor advanced any such argument, that's a straw man fallacy. Get it?

Yeah, I think I get it. You have great trouble distinguishing a generality from an absolute, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 06:59 am
@Leadfoot,
Then you apparently need someone to bring it to your attention. You're peddling BS about what atheists do or don't say, and then you have the effrontery to suggest that i haven't been paying attention. Holy rollers are a subset of christians, an otherwise decent set of people. I don't number you among that subset of decent people. So, i can assure you i won't be paying attention to you any longer. Have fun playing with your new asshole buddy here.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:02 am
@Setanta,
Damn, my GF ehBeth dumps me and now Set. Just ain't my day...
layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Heh, Leddy. That blowhard actually thinks he's hurting somebody if he refuses to listen to them. Like he just busted a cap in their ass, or some ****, and then starts strutting off as a swaggering hero while all plead and clamor for his return.

The other day some dawg-ugly skank told me she wasn't gunna talk to me no more if I didn't give her a cigarette.

Heh, that's like threatening ole Brer Rabbit with bein throwwed into a briar patch.......sheeit.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:22 am
@layman,
I guess it's kind of a complement in a way.
Before a2k I used to hang out on 'whyistheresomething.com'. Really elegant site design except that it allowed anyone to go back forever and edit what they said. Got me in the habit of always quoting anything significant that I wanted to comment on. The sysop there was anonomous but his ID was blown when he got so frustrated trading arguments with me and another guy that he shut the site down after many years.
layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:38 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I guess it's kind of a complement in a way.

Yeah, when they scared, cowards run. Of course later they tell their homeys that they would have stayed and kicked your ass, but they were "too big of a man" to want to hurt you. Within an hour they're tellin how they were about to kick your ass, but they relented when you begged for them not to. Later they're tellin themselves how they don't put up with that kinda **** so they kicked your ass. Of course they don't say that out loud for fear word might get back to you, but, still...

I'll have to admit to feelin a certain loss when the clowns flounce off, after "rejecting" me. I know I'm gunna miss the amusement and entertainment they brought to the party.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:43 am
@layman,
Either that or 'they been victimized by trolls'.
layman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Either that or 'they been victimized by trolls'.

Yeah, how could I forget!? That's actually the primary modus operandi, aint it? And the teacher told them not to hit nobody.
0 Replies