Does Dawkins believe in aliens?

Smoke34

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:30 am
They say that Dawkins started believing in aliens and stopped being darwinist? Is it true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,327 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:38 am
@Smoke34,
who is dawkins?

What is this about aliens? This makes no sense whatsover?
0 Replies

Smoke34

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:09 am
Richard Dawkins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:30 am
@Smoke34,
Based on your own link and the content therein, there's no indication whatsoever that he refutes Darwinism or in his acceptance of any proof of aliens.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:41 am
Is that relevant?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:04 pm
@Smoke34,
Smoke34 wrote:
They say that Dawkins started believing in aliens and stopped being darwinist? Is it true?

No and no. Dawkins never "started" believing in aliens. He always believed that their existence is more likely than not, given the sheer number of solar systems in the universe where intelligent life could evolve. Moreover, Dawkins never stopped being a Darwinist, as you might guess from the title of his latest book: The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution.

Judging by a Google search for the two words "Dawkins aliens", your story goes back to Creationist quote mining. Dawkins doesn't think it likely that life on Earth was seeded by aliens. He just bends over backwards to be receptive to the possibility, only to strengthen his point that even if the story was true, it would be a complement to the evolution story, not an alternative. Alien seeding only begs the next question: How did the aliens come to be? Even if they, too, were seeded by other aliens still, Dawkins thinks you ultimately have to start with a life form that evolved.

I hope this clarifies Dawkins's position for you.

UPDATE: Here's Dawkins's own smackdown of the story. It is aptly titled Lying for Jesus. I also find it interesting to learn that it's an old hat:That smackdown dates back to 2008.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:07 pm
@Smoke34,
Smoke34 wrote:

Who is "They"?

The term "Darwinist" is usually only used by Creationists when reciting propaganda.
0 Replies

Smoke34

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:21 pm
They are :Harun Yahya and some other creationists. They claimed this, they even edited the Turkish wikipedia article and wrote that he stopped being Darwinist and started believing in aliens. Harun Yahya is making videos about Dawkins which contain irrelevant information.He uses Darwinist as a part of Islamist propaganda. Harun Yahya is a source of shame for our country.,Turkey. There are some extremist Islamist people in Turkey , I admit like Recep Tayyip Erdoğan but there also people who have potential to think. But they brainwash people make them believe in a pedofilia prophet and a non existing god. And Mr.Dawkins's site is banned in Turkey thanks to Harun Yahya. Also thanks for the reply Thomas,sir
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:25 pm
@Smoke34,
I've never heard of Harun Yahya. Is that an organization or an individual?

If the source of the information you have read is from a Creationist, then I would be suspicious of its validity automatically (since their goals are not to reveal accurate information, but to promote an agenda).
0 Replies

Smoke34

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:38 pm
He is a person who writes books about Islamıc creationism (uses fake info of course),has a TV channel which does propaganda about Darwin,atheists and so- called Darwinism, he also has lots of internet sites about Islamic creationism which he again does propaganda
Some of his sites:
http://www.jesuswillreturn.com/
http://www.harunyahya.com/index.php his main site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Oktar article about him his real name is Adnan Oktar
This is Dawkins talking about his book and him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DaQuqrDYM0
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:43 pm
@Smoke34,
The Internet is full of crackpots. It's hard to know where to start.
Smoke34

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:48 pm
He is just brainwashing people , I wish there wasn't anyone like him in Turkey Sad
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:59 pm
@Smoke34,
Smoke34 wrote:

He is just brainwashing people , I wish there wasn't anyone like him in Turkey Sad

I wish there wasn't anyone like him in the US either, but the religious zealots are everywhere and they're going to be with us a long time. Settle in for a long relentless battle Wink
Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:04 pm
@rosborne979,
Thinking back not-so-fondly of Dubyah!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 03:35 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
The Internet is full of crackpots. It's hard to know where to start.

Harun Yahya goes way beyond the internet though. He is to Turkey what Sun Myung Moon is to America---with newspapers and TV channels and all. Come to think of it, does the Unification Church have TV channels? Perhaps Yaya is more like Turkey's Richard Murdoch.
Ragman

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 03:53 am
@Thomas,
Who is Richard Murdoch?
Is it possible you mean Rupert Murdoch?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:04 am
More significantly, do aliens believe in Richard Dawkins, Harun Yahya and Rupert Murdoch?
Ragman

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:07 am
@Setanta,
Yes, they do. In in alienated sort of way~.
0 Replies