Al-Qaeda threatens Europe with a 'bloody war'

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:48 pm
Al-Qaeda isnt a big fan of most current regimes in Arab and Muslim countries ... in fact, it is those regimes and governments they want out of power more than the American one.

They just want to intimidate the Americans into butting out, so they can go one-on-one with their own governments. I mean, very roughly speaking, thats my take on it ...

More interesting still is that they've been hitting democracies especially, rather than dictatorships ... I mean, they hit Saudi-Arabia a few times, but Morocco and especially Turkey and Indonesia have a (kind of) democracy going on. In the long run, hopefully, increased democracy will take the wind out of their sails, but in the short run the relative openness that comes with it makes countries more vulnerable ...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:06 am
nimh wrote:
Al-Qaeda isnt a big fan of most current regimes in Arab and Muslim countries ..

of course not

They want just more power, however how.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 03:53 pm
Yeah, I guess you're right.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:25 pm
au1929 wrote:
What Europe needs is a wake up call. Terrorism is just as much a danger to Europe as it is the US.

What the US needs is a seditive. Terrorism is no more a danger to the US than it is to Europe.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:27 pm
Thok wrote:
nimh wrote:
Al-Qaeda isnt a big fan of most current regimes in Arab and Muslim countries ..

of course not

They want just more power, however how.

Their stated objective is to unify the middle east under a new caliphate.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:41 pm
I think terrorism is a greater threat in Europe than in the US. Only because of it proximity to the source of that terrorism. A few more bombings like the one in Spain will be needed for a wakeup call.

I get the impression that you are posting from Europe am I correct.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:51 pm
I sure hope that France and Germany have awoken to the threat. Despite how angry I am with their current dispicable positions, I don't wish them harm. The wolf is at their door, in France's case, chewing on their leg.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:54 pm
I have mixed feelings maybe a little, not too much chewing would not be so bad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:46 pm
You might not be aware of that, because you seldom read International News (when not US-related), but we deal in Eirope quite some more years with terrorism than the USA - see this thread
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:33 am
Walter
Surprise, we get the news both national and international here in the states.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:36 am
au1929 wrote:

I get the impression that you are posting from Europe am I correct.

Yes, I am posting from Norway
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
au1929 wrote:
Walter
Surprise, we get the news both national and international here in the states.

So you obviously forgot or overead that Europe is dealing a couple of more years with terrorists - especially Spain and France (but Ita, Germany and of course the UK as well).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
Walter
I am aware, however, as the saying goes. "You ain't seen nothing yet". In numbers there is strength.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:39 pm
I believe Walter is correct. The UK dealt with IRA terrorism throughout the '80s and early '90s. The Basque movement in Spain has practiced this form of warfare for decades. Both Germany and France had their episodes of domestic terrorism during the '70s. Moreover Islamist terrorism, has been a factor, until recently realtively small, in European life for a decade or so. Moslem immigrants in xome European countries have also been heavily involved in crimes of various types. During most of this period the United States was relativelyfree of all that - except for domestic crime. Overall we have more experience with and tolerance for immigrants than mst European countries (no surprise - we are a nation of immigrants.)

Today, however, the U.S. is a principal target for Islamist terrorism, more so than are Europeans - except those who help us in opposing them. I believe the Europeans who stand back out of fear of our arousing Moslem hatred on their southern borders are merely hopeing that the alligator will eat them last.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:50 am
The Alligator is on the move and getting stronger. And Europe is a tasty morsel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 06:29 am
au1929 wrote:
The Alligator is on the move and getting stronger. And Europe is a tasty morsel.

Hmm, as evidence proves.
0 Replies