Al-Qaeda threatens Europe with a 'bloody war'

Thok

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:50 am
Quote:
A purported Al-Qaeda statement posted on an Islamist website threatened Europe with a "bloody war" following the expiry of a July 15 deadline set by Osama bin Laden for European states to pull troops out of Muslim countries.

"Today, we declare a bloody war on you. We will not stop our raids until you return to reason," said the statement, signed "Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades - Al-Qaeda".

The authenticity of the statement, published Thursday on the site http://www.islamic-minbar.com/forum/, could not be verified.

"After the expiry of the ultimatum by our sheikh Osama bin Laden ... and because you have not returned to reason, we declare a violent war on you as well as your people ... who, by their silence, support you," it said.

An audiotaped statement issued April 15 by the Al-Qaeda terror chief gave European governments three months to withdraw their troops from Muslim states.

The ultimatum was later authenticated by the US Central Intelligence Agency.

On July 16, the same group threatened Italy with a 9/11-style bloodbath if it kept Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in power.

The Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades have also claimed responsibility for the March 11 attacks in Madrid and the November 2003 bombings in Istanbul.

Abu Hafs al-Masri headed Al-Qaeda military operations until he was killed in the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.

AFP
Profile:Abu Hafs al-Masri

well, ho. This is a explosive announcement. Maybe it is a empty threat,but unplausible ..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,191 • Replies: 35
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:17 am
What Europe needs is a wake up call. Terrorism is just as much a danger to Europe as it is the US. The more they turn the other cheek the more the enemy of freedom and justice becomes emboldened. They kept their eyes closed as Hitler came to power and Germany rearmed. And now they sit on their hands while the menace of Islamic fundamentalism spreads its tentacles throughout Europe and the entire world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
Well, au. I do sincerely think you look up since what time Europe delt with terrorism in the last 50 years.

Have you ever heard of e.g. ETA, IRA ....?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
..or RAF, Brigate Rosse... ?

Terror is everywhere, not as recently as 9/11.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
Walter
The menace of Moslem terrorism is far greater than anything posed by the IRA and the ETA which are localized actions. Europe should not back off and thru fear of reprisal appease the terrorists. The terrorists or insurgents found that they could get nations to pull their troops and people working in Iraq by kidnappings and beheading and threats. The result more kidnappings and killings. Appeasement is surrender. One must fight fire with fire.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Makes you wonder, though...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
Well, au, re. e.g. IRA, local etc:

if you would have read anything about those terrorists, you certainly would have written differently.

(I still hope so.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
If I were European, I would tell the US and the "terrorists" to go screw themselves and leave me out of this bloody little war. I wouldn't appease either side.

Of course, if I were American I would vote out the bastards who insist on an bullying arrogance that makes us such target and gives the "terrorists" the support and popularity to make a militant struggle into a big war.

Oh wait a second, I am American. I think I will do just that...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:18 pm
ebrown_p
Quote:
Of course, if I were American I would vote out the bastards who insist on an bullying arrogance that makes us such target and gives the "terrorists" the support and popularity to make a militant struggle into a big war.

Oh wait a second, I am American. I think I will do just that...

Does that mean you decided to not vote for Nader. {forgive me I just could not resist.}
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:47 pm
Only as much as your posts here mean you decided to vote for Bush.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:51 pm
Think we could work out a deal to send back all the Muslims who have immigrated to Europe and the U.S., in return for troop retractions?

I doubt it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:58 pm
Or send all the Christians back to Judea?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Think we could work out a deal to send back all the Muslims who have immigrated to Europe and the U.S., in return for troop retractions?

I doubt it.

Let's send the Europeans back to Europe. We'll keep the Muslims.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:09 pm
Seriously though - what country do you all think runs the biggest risk of getting hit next?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
Nimh
They will hit the softest target. Their only purpose is to prove to the world they can and thus force the weak kneed nations into submission. Appeasement as I said before only leads to further terror. If I were to guess. Italy is a prime target.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
nimh wrote:
Seriously though - what country do you all think runs the biggest risk of getting hit next?

I would guess Iran or maybe Syria.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:02 am
ebrown_p wrote:

I would guess Iran or maybe Syria.

And all of your enemies are really your friends, right ebrown?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
Brown
I think Minh's question was who would the terrorists hit next. Not who would the US hit next.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:22 pm
Yeah it was, Au. Ebrowns answer was funny - and yeah, the question who the US will hit next, especially should Bush be reelected, is topical enough too. But not the one I was asking right now. Cause I do think Al-Qaeda will strike again as well, disregarding whether Bush is elected or not.

In a probably unintended way, ebrown might be on to something even there, though. We should not forget that although 9/11 was Al-Qaeda's biggest strike by far, most of its strikes have hit Muslim countries, poorer countries. Morocco, Turkey, Indonesia ...
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:26 pm
nimh wrote:
We should not forget that although 9/11 was Al-Qaeda's biggest strike by far, most of its strikes have hit Muslim countries, poorer countries. Morocco, Turkey, Indonesia ...

I wonder if that's their weird way of getting those countries to align with them against non-Muslims? The fear factor.
0 Replies