Pudge Rodriguez, best catcher ever???

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 11:39 pm
I have heard sports radio personalities refer to Pudge of the Detroit Tigers as the best catcher ever. This is a bold statement but it coudl very well be true. His bat is coming close to eclpsing that of Mike Piazza's and his defensive abilities are unbelievable. I may be saying this because I am a huge tigers fan but there may be somthing to this statement. What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 803 • Replies: 5
No top replies

pueo

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:08 am
maybe it's my age or prejudice ( i used to play on a team called the red's, and was the catcher) but i'd take johnny bench over any other catchers past or present.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
well they argued that pudge was better. But i can't try and argue that he is.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
Probably, but only probably, he's the best catcher in MLB today.

Let's see some stats.

Batting, among catchers: he has the best batting average, he's second only to Kendall in stolen bases, second in RBIs behind Víctor Martínez, second in slugging behind Martínez, fifth in homers behind Wilson, Martinez, Piazza and Javi Lopez, and also fifth in runs scored.

Fielding: he has had only 7 errors this season. And he's probably the most difficult catcher to steal from (there, for example, Martinez has a lot to learn).

But the most important of a catcher's job, assisting the man in mound, asking him for the right pitch, disturbing the batters... that, we don't really know.

---

Now, it's way too early to rank him over such legends the size of Johnny Bench, Roy Campanella, Yogi Berra, Carlton Fisk or Gary Carter.
It's mediatic brou-ha-ha.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
I think he does have the ability to call an excellent game, he led the Florida Marlins to be world series champions. To do this he had to tame yound pitchers like Dontrelle Willis. And how good is Dontrelle doing this year without the help of Ivan Rodriguez?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
pudge gets the nod defensively, but i'd say piazza is the best offensive catcher.

take a look at their career batting stats:
piazza is a lifetime .317 hitter; pudge .307
on base %: piazza .387; pudge .347
slugging: piazza .567; pudge .491
walks: piazza 649; pudge 385
dingers: piazza 375; pudge 244
rbi's & runs scored are close.
pudge has over 100 more doubles than piazza

the most homers by a catcher mark may never be broken...
0 Replies