What is knowledge?

Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 07:37 pm
A familiar answer: JTB: justified true belief.

Is this definition too narrow? If it's wrong, can you show it to be so without mangling the language you speak? For instance:

A. Jimmy believes Pluto is a planet.
B. Jimmy knows Pluto is a planet.

Is there any difference between A and B?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 08:07 pm
i've always heard that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

but, i'm assuming it took a lot of knowledge to build the first atomic bomb

this thinking thing can be hard work

0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 08:09 pm
@Tuna,
So the question is: do you agree that knowledge is justified true belief? If not, why not?
djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 08:11 pm
@Tuna,
i tend to leave the justifying, truthifying and beliefication to the sort of folks who like that kind of thing
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 09:10 pm
@Tuna,
Oh. I just got a bit of knowledge. If I down-vote my own thread, it doesn't show up on the list of new topics anymore. If I down-vote a post... it disappears. Hmm...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:29 am
@Tuna,
Philosophers have often differentiated between 'knowing how' and 'knowing that', which is reflected by different verbs in other languages. Both are concerned with 'the ability to predict' (or post-dict). The only difference between 'belief' and 'knowledge' is degree of of confidence in 'successful' prediction, and that degree is subject to social consensus in shifting contexts. Such consensus is always involved in 'the justification process' even if the 'social element' is an internal 'argument' in the mind of a single individual.
Tuna

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 03:28 am
@fresco,
A wrong prediction wouldn't suggest the existence of knowledge, so you're saying that knowledge is concerned with the ability to accurately predict. Correct?

And you distinguish belief from knowledge by saying belief requires no justification. Knowledge does, though the means of justification varies.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 05:47 am
One among many possible definitions on what knowledge entails is to know how to make sensible, adequate, good questions. Questions that shred a new light on the possible pleiade of answers to any old problem. Straight forward intelligible answers are born of learning how to make proper questioning.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:36 am
@Tuna,
Yes. That is what I am saying. Of course successful predictions do not imply 'truth' except in a transient or temporary manner which is subject to revision or modification.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:50 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
A familiar answer: JTB: justified true belief.

Why is the addition of a subjective belief required? Can I be said to "know" a given proposition on the basis that I believe, with justification, that it is "true" but refuse to "believe" it? Can I really be said to "believe" that a given proposition is "true," if, for example, I refuse to acknowledge or adhere to it in practice?

Socrates (Plato) answered that question this way: You don't really "know" that it is wrong to steal if you nonetheless steal something. If you actually "knew," then you wouldn't do it.

Is that accurate, ya think?

layman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:07 pm
@Tuna,
When it comes to the question of whether a person really "knows" something, I think the best measure, to that person at least, kinda comes down to this.

The more cocksure I am, the more I can say I "know."

Quote:
"To be positive: To be mistaken at the top of one's voice. " (Ambrose Bierce)
layman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:13 pm
@layman,
Edit: In this post I meant to say:

Can I be said to "know" a given proposition on the basis that I acknowledge [not "believe"] , with justification, that it is "true" but refuse to "believe" it?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:17 pm
@layman,
Funny...you know alot about "free will"...
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 05:21 pm
@layman,
Generally speaking, if you acknowledge that a statement is true, it follows that you are willing to assert it. It follows from that that you believe it.
layman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 06:14 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
Generally speaking,

I agree, but my question wasn't about what follows "generally speaking." I was asking if the B part of JTB was really required.
layman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 06:52 pm
@layman,
Suppose JTB was changed to JTA (justified true assertion)? Would that make any difference in the analysis of what "knowledge" is? For Plato it would, as I have already noted.
0 Replies