External Modems

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:56 am
I need to buy a new external modem for my old HP laptop.

Could anyone offer me a few suggestions?

Thank you. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,383 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:56 pm
We have one and I was just playing around with it the other day, but I don't even recall the brand (it's up in the attic and personally I don't feel like ascending into the cold, sorry).

I imagine it was whatever was popular a few years ago. It was always s...l...o...w.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:59 pm
The one that Staples sells costs $77 and the cheapest at Radio Shack is about $45. The one I bought 2 years ago cost $57 and didn't last as long as I thought it should have. Twisted Evil

Speed= 56 Kbps
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:20 pm
I bet the 56k speed is somewhat standard these days. Wonder if you could get one used?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:42 pm
I wonder if any of them last long enough to re-sell? Twisted Evil

Before this modem went sour, it made a funny screaming noise. Also, it was hot when I took out of the computer. Might be overcharged. Shocked
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:25 pm
We had good use out of our Diamond SupraExpress 56e V.90. Nary a problem. Now disconnected because the "old" computer is networked with this "new" computer, which has an internal modem. What more can we tell you about it? We're keeping it in case we want to run that computer as a stand-alone. You should be able to get a review on the Internet of this hardware. Maybe PC World, ZNet, or ... just type 56K+modems into the Google search engine. Please come back here and let us know how you made out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:43 pm
fishin', I'd recommend a V92-Capable, 56K-Flex USB-type external if you gottat go that way. There are several good brands, US Robotics and Diamond among them. You're looking at around US$75-$100, I'd say, for a good, dependable one. CNET, PCWORLD, and TechTV websites all have good reviews and plenty of customer comments. Good Luck.

Dial up is a bummer. Timberland Road may not be paved, but Ah LUV muh Diesel Innernet!

timber
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:43 am
These are all good choices and I thank everyone for their comments.

I was looking at the Radio Shack and Staples Robotics modem. Yes, the cost is about $100.

How long does a $100 modem last? One thing I forgot was that the longevity of the modem will depend (?) on many times you connect to the internet/day.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:24 am
MODEM USAGE
We've long since discarded the packaging that came with our modem. The info about length of usage should be obtainable either from the manufacturers or the aforementioned reviewers. Probably, like all things mechanical, the more they're used the faster they wear out. However, unless flawed, electronics such as modems should last through many hours of usage. Do you intend to leave it connected to the Internet 24/7? If so, you'd be better off with DSL, cable, etc. Good luck in your decision. Smile Charli
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:08 am
New Haven wrote:
How long does a $100 modem last? One thing I forgot was that the longevity of the modem will depend (?) on many times you connect to the internet/day.

Any modem you buy will probably outlast your laptop. The number of times you connect to the Internet has no effect on the life of the modem. It's an entirely electronic device with no moving parts so it isn't like things wear out in it.

As with most electronic devices, provided you don't do something like spill a soda in it, the item with the greatest effect on it's life is turning it on and off. The power surges that result from turing it on and the slight expansion/contraction of the components as they heat up/cool off does more to damage most electronics than any actual use does.

Personally, if I were looking for an external modem at the moment I'd pick up the Zoom 3090 External USB from Best Buy @ $59.95. Since you mention this is for a laptop though I'd probably opt for a 56K PCMCIA modem and forget all the external stuff. You can get a ThinFax 56K PCMCIA Modem for $69 (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=4401&pf%5Fid=MP520128&listing=1) and not have to play with all the extra cables and whatnot...
0 Replies