Does "expectancy confirmation" refer to "expectation confirmation"?

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 08:40 am
(1) Does "expectancy confirmation" refer to "expectation confirmation"?
(2) In "shape appraisals of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being", whose well-being? The people's or of the stigmatized?

Context:

THE SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY OF STIGMA

Abstract This chapter addresses the psychological effects of social stigma.Stigma directly affects the stigmatized via mechanisms of discrimination,expectancy confirmation,and automatic stereotype activation,and indirectly via threats to personal and social identity.We review and organize recent theory and empirical research within an identity threat model of stigma.This model posits that situational cues,collective representations of one's stigma status,and personal beliefs and motives shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being.Identity threat results when stigma-relevant stressors are appraised as potentially harmful to one's social identity and as exceeding one's coping resources.Identity threat creates involuntary stress responses and motivates attempts at threat reduction through coping strategies.Stress responses and coping efforts affect important outcomes such as self-esteem,academic achievement,and health.Identity threat perspectives help to explain the tremendous variability across people,groups,and situations in responses to stigma.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 05:03 am
Looks like there are hard English.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 10:54 am
Since no one would like to answer it, this thread is closed.
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 04:18 pm
1.) Yes.
2.) It refers to the well being of the stigmatized.
oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 06:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

1.) Yes.

Thanks.
In addition, in "personal beliefs and motives shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being", does it refer to "appraisal for well-being" or "the significance for well-being"?
oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:51 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

1.) Yes.

Thanks.
In addition, in "personal beliefs and motives shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being", does it refer to "appraisal for well-being" or "the significance for well-being"?

No one would like to answer this question?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 12:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

To be clear, what does "it" refer to in your question?
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:18 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

oristarA wrote:

To be clear, what does "it" refer to in your question?

"It" refers to "personal beliefs and motives shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being".

I wondered with whom "well-being" collocates? Appraisal or the significance?
FBM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:47 am
@oristarA,
If I understand it correctly, the well-being would be the well-being of the stigmatized individual, the person who has certain personaly beliefs.
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:11 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

If I understand it correctly, the well-being would be the well-being of the stigmatized individual, the person who has certain personaly beliefs.

Yes, IB said that too.
I wondered with whom "well-being" collocates? Appraisal or the significance?
FBM

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:16 am
@oristarA,
Neither, I think. It usually collocates with adjectives:

http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/search?word=well-being

oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 09:26 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Neither, I think. It usually collocates with adjectives:

http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/search?word=well-being

If neither, the word "well-being" must collocate with other words in the sentence:
This model posits that situational cues,collective representations of one's stigma status,and personal beliefs and motives shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being.

So I have had a grammatical problem in understanding the sentence.

To make the grammatical analysis simple, supposed that " situational cues,collective representations of one's stigma status,and personal beliefs and motives" to "the factors". Now we have the sentence:

This model posits that the factors shape appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations for well-being.

Here the author says:
(1) the factors shape appraisal.
(2) appraisal of what? appraisal of the significance of stigma-relevant situations.
(3) appraisal for what purpose? appraisal for the well-being of the stigmatized.

Are these what the author is meant to tell us?
If so, that is why I guess that "well-being" is collocated with "appraisal".

Why do you say?

FBM

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:54 am
@oristarA,
First, what is your understanding of a collocation? Not every word in a sentence needs to be collocated with another.
oristarA

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 10:35 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

First, what is your understanding of a collocation? Not every word in a sentence needs to be collocated with another.

A collocation refers to that fact that two words in a sentence have corresponded each other in meaning.
FBM

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 10:38 am
@oristarA,
I think that's why I'm not following your question. Here's what I'm talking about:

Quote:
In corpus linguistics, a collocation is a sequence of words or terms that co-occur more often than would be expected by chance. In phraseology, collocation is a sub-type of phraseme. An example of a phraseological collocation, as propounded by Michael Halliday, is the expression strong tea.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 04:20 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:

How many saw it, do you think, before you decided to close it?
oristarA

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:19 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

How many saw it, do you think, before you decided to close it?

Let's come the point: whose appraisal in the context? The stigmatised or healthy people?
McTag

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 04:37 am
@oristarA,

I don't understand that point. But as I have said before, sometimes I, and no doubt others, do not see your questions when you post them. Always happy to help, if I can. Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 04:42 am
Whose threats? The society/healthy people's threats against the stigmatized? Or the threats of the stigmatized against healthy people?

Context:

Abstract This chapter addresses the psychological effects of social stigma.Stigma directly affects the stigmatized via mechanisms of discrimination,expectancy confirmation,and automatic stereotype activation,and indirectly via threats to personal and social identity.
oristarA

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 08:07 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Whose threats? The society/healthy people's threats against the stigmatized? Or the threats of the stigmatized against healthy people?

Context:

Abstract This chapter addresses the psychological effects of social stigma.Stigma directly affects the stigmatized via mechanisms of discrimination,expectancy confirmation,and automatic stereotype activation,and indirectly via threats to personal and social identity.

No one would like to answer this?