ESP???? psychic powers, is it possible?

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
Does anyone out there believe that it is possible for a human to have psychic tendencies or powers? And if so, to what degree. I know we have all heard stories about psychic things that have happened, or maybe even fortune telling, but what is really possible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,483 • Replies: 33
No top replies

cheryl powell

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:47 am
Yes, my husband is a psychic and he does very well at it, thank you!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
I don't believe in fortune telling. I think any 'successful predictions' experienced by such psychic charalatans are pure luck of the draw--if you throw enough spaghetti at the wall, sooner or later a piece will stick.

I do believe people are born with some psychic ability that is much more pronounced in some than in others. Even the staunchest disbeliever, if honest, will usually be able to testify to the experience of 'feeling' or sensing a presence when such presence could not be seen, smelled, or heard. This I think is psychic abilityin in its most primitive form. Others can testify to momentarily communing across the distance with another person. Some forensic psychics have reported what they see with accuracy that simply cannot be explained as pure coincidence or lucky guess.

I don't know anything about enhancing psychic ability, but I've been told those who don't suppress or dismiss it are far more likely to have more of it.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:51 am
I have done a small amount of research on the topic of ESP. From what i read most of the time the psychic needs to be in some sort of haze. They are usually in a state of meditation where the material world is forgotten, and their imagination comes to life, they must open their mind, and then you may have a better chance of gaining such "powers"
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:52 am
Oh and Cheryl, I hadn't seen your post when I posted mine. I don't know your husband and my post does not refer to him in any way. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:24 pm
CS, I believe to a degree in precognition. Things happen just a little too often for mere coincidence. Well, to me, anyway.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
All I have to add is that I knew exactly what you were all going to say.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
Very Happy Well, Cav this has been an odd day. I knew exactly what you would be wearing, too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:04 pm
Re: ESP???? psychic powers, is it possible?
CarbonSystem wrote:
Does anyone out there believe that it is possible for a human to have psychic tendencies or powers? And if so, to what degree. I know we have all heard stories about psychic things that have happened, or maybe even fortune telling, but what is really possible?

Psychic as in "magical", No.

Psychic as in "some type of perception mechanism we don't yet recognize", Maybe.

Psychic as in "intuitive", Absolutely.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:18 pm
Good, Rosborne. We're on the agreement track again. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:41 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Good, Rosborne. We're on the agreement track again. Smile

Many times JL, you have written responses so in line with what I would have said that I almost though I wrote them myself Smile (literally true)

That's why it's so interesting to me that we differ so strongly on the affirmative action thread. I'm enjoying that debate immensely, to the point of not having time to debate E_Brown on the religion thread (he's making some very esoteric arguments himself, and I've not had the time to consider them and answer them).

Unfortunately, I'm trying to build networks most of the day, so I don't have much time to devote to this stuff. One of these days I'll retire ... Smile

Best Regards, as always,
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:37 am
well im glad you guys are buddies again :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
well im glad you guys are buddies again :wink:

Yeh. Now we have to get back to telling each other we're 'idiots' on the other thread Wink
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
hardy har har, that's all good and well...but what about ESP, if I claimed that I had ESP would you have a hard time believing me or would you outright call me a liar?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:28 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
hardy har har, that's all good and well...but what about ESP, if I claimed that I had ESP would you have a hard time believing me or would you outright call me a liar?

I would definitely have a hard time believing you, but I don't think I would call you a liar. I would ask you to be more specific in describing what you thought was ESP. Then I would calmly break down every claim and explain to you why you are losing your mind Wink (just kidding).

Actually, I've known many people have made claims of various paranormal abilities. In every case, I find that it comes down to a difference in the way people assess reality. Some people are simply less skeptical than others, and are willing to accept such vague things as "impressions" and "feeling" as proof. So this is the first place to start; defining what each person considers valid proof.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
Aldous Huxley, the grandson of Thomas Henry Huxley and the brother of the famous biologist, Julian Huxley, believed, despite his scientific pedegree, in ESP. His reasons were not compelling, but at least he was open to the possibility. My worldview has no place for such phenomena, but I know that my worldview is not "God's" worldview. There is more to Reality than any of us can imagine.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 01:46 pm
Interesting article on retrocognition:

http://skepdic.com/retrocog.html

Yes, JL. You are absolutely right. One moment of reality can wipe out a whole world of fears.

The department of parapsychology at Duke University was established more to disprove psychic phenomena than to prove it.

I believe that deja vu is a blanked memory than is brought out by a cue in the environment.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
On the other hand, Letty, a deja vu could be the unconscious bringing together of past experience into the illusion of a single experience. I sometimes have a very strong, almost visceral, experience of having been to a place which could not possibly be so. Upon contemplation, I realize that one aspect of a scene is much like that of a realled childhood scene; another aspect of the scene is much like that of another scene; another aspect ....etc. A number of past scenes are united to create an experience of pseudo familiarity. I think.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:05 pm
You put it more eloquently, JL, but yes, that's it. Smile

and, CS. Yes, I would believe you. Why not?
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:05 pm
Maybe ESP is just a nugget of time better digested than all the others that pass through your system unnoticed - except when you look into a mirror for the first time after 6 months. To me ESP is akin to an instant of sudden empathy in and with time not just moments proceeding sequentially - in fact, its succession is, in a sense, temporarily off-line. Its metaphor to me is as "conveyor" of information however tenuous that your receiving apparatus is hypertuned to even though you may barely feel anything before its impact. ESP are LIKE moments that have become densified and that radiate their own information! A fusion of me and IT. Of course this is just my ESP on the matter.
0 Replies