Help or advice from wrongfully detained son abroad

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:04 am
I am a single parent with a child that has been wrongfully detained by his father. I have not married the father. He had asked me when I was pregnant with our son, to stay in Italy with him to have the baby there, as his job was not able to allow him to come see the birth of our son in the US. This was his very first child, and his parents were not able to come down as they were not in the condition of handling long flights.

I than not so enthused agreed to it, I wanted to make them happy, not knowing or expecting what devastation I was to experience later. I stayed in Italy for almost 5 months. I gave birth to my son in November of 2003. I had spent a total of 12 days with my son, untill I was forced to leave without my him. The father had pre- arranged plane tickets for my departure. I did not have any time to register my son as a US citizen, he led me to think everything was okay untill the day he told me I was not leaving with our son. It was like a nightmare! He had taken the phone communication off temporarily, untill I had to leave. I told him I would call the police! I was not consenting to this! I just gave birth to our son, I need to bond with him! He told me sarcastically that "The police will just laugh at you" As I am the father of our son, and they would just tell us to figure it out ourselves, this is the way law is here in Italy. I gasped in terror, because I could not believe it! Just to appease me and in case I may try to contact police later, he told me that he would return with our son in 2 months. As this would give some time to his mother, and this again related to his work. I did not want this! But I had no other choice.
He had made excuse after excuse of bringing our son back, My son is now almost 8 months old. I am seeing a psychologist for depression because of this matter.

I have sought out many directions asked many questions, The Department of Childrens Issues has told me this is not considered a "Child Abduction" as my son was born in Italy. & also the child is just an Italian citizen, and not a dual as I had not registered him. This is considered a "Child Custody Dispute". & I would need to seek a lawyer from Italy to represent my case. The problem with that is, I am not a rich woman, nor can I afford a lawyer especially abroad. I am seeking pro- bono attorneys that are in Italy. & I would indeed like to know if I even stand a chance in this matter. Does anyone know of any Pro Bono lawyers in Italy who deal in International Custody cases? Who hopefully have good reputations. I don't want to go through anymore hell! I need to know how I can go about getting my son back! I desperately need advice and information on my situation. My son will be 1 years old in several months from now, This means once a child is living in a place for 1 year it is considered his habitual residence. This would make my case even more difficult. I am running out of time... Is there anyone out there that can help me???

Matteo's Mom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 966 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:45 am
Start with a pro bono attorney here. Just go to your phone book and look up the local bar association. They can help you get started with a referral.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:01 am
Jesus. What a situation. Good luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:58 am
Contact the State Department and ask for help from our embassy in Italy.
Your congressman/senator may be able to help here.
0 Replies

kinalani

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:36 pm
:-)
jespah wrote:
Start with a pro bono attorney here. Just go to your phone book and look up the local bar association. They can help you get started with a referral.

Yes, thank you Jespah. I will go ahead and do that. I hope they can help me find a good referral.
0 Replies

kinalani

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Contact the State Department and ask for help from our embassy in Italy.
Your congressman/senator may be able to help here.

Thank you Noddy, for your advice. I will take it into consideration and try this also.
0 Replies

kinalani

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:41 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Jesus. What a situation. Good luck.

Thank you Suzy..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:48 pm
You (or your pro bono attorney) should perhaps contact the Italian consulte as well:
a) dual citizenship might still be possible
b) they certainly might be the best help for getting an appropriate Italian lawyer, from where you are, at least.

Good luck ... and all the very best for you and your child!

(And welcome to A2K as well :wink: )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:06 pm
Oh my gosh! My heart goes out to you and your son.
0 Replies

kinalani

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:38 am
Smile
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You (or your pro bono attorney) should perhaps contact the Italian consulte as well:
a) dual citizenship might still be possible
b) they certainly might be the best help for getting an appropriate Italian lawyer, from where you are, at least.

Good luck ... and all the very best for you and your child!

(And welcome to A2K as well :wink: )

Thank you so much, Mr. Hinteler for all of your advice and info.
0 Replies

kinalani

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:44 am
Smile
Montana wrote:
Oh my gosh! My heart goes out to you and your son.

Thank you Montana, I am going to fight for my son back! And with perseverance, I can do it!
0 Replies