Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 03:22 pm
Hi, I would like to ask if you'll can help me with this problem..my Boyfriend owe back child support for many yrs, his kids r adults Now, he wants to start paying but hes very scare of the consequences.. my question .. what would it be the consequences if he calls the attorney general to start paying? would he be put in Jail? thank very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 4
No top replies

layman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 04:32 pm
@adelaida16,
He doesn't have to call anyone to pay. He can just pay you. What would happen if YOU called and complained about his arrearages is a different question and would depend on a lot of things, including the State you reside in.
adelaida16

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 10:04 pm
@layman,
He owes the money to the government when his children were little the ex was getting government help n she had reported him to child support ..we reside in Tx..he got his driver's lisence suspended. I'm just trying to help him.Thank you.

layman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 10:41 pm
@adelaida16,
Sorry, I misread your post, thinking your "boyfriend" was also the father of your children and he owed the money to you.

It's not a crime to owe money. In some states it is quasi-criminal offense to fail to pay child support. Since his kids are grown, he would not seem to have an obligation to currently support them.

Call a lawyer. Chances are the State will take whatever money they can get (which might be pennies on the dollar) and then drop all claims against him.
adelaida16

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 09:52 am
@layman,
Thank you very much.
0 Replies