How do I fix my window's registry thru DOS?

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
Hello;

I'm having a problem with my Windows registry:
It appeared after I deleted Norton Antivirus
A message kep showing up before windows starts saying that a file associated with SYSTEM.INI is missing, and that if I want to fix it, I have to reinstall the software (in that case it is the Norton)
Then when I log on to windows, a message suddenly appears saying that there has been a registry problem and windows will restart to fix it.

Windows restarts, but doesn't fix anything...and the registery problem remains..

I try to reinstall the Norton, the installer program fails to continue because of this registry problem

So basically this problem is really making things worse in my system

How can I fix the registery thru DOS? (before going into windows)
Or if I can fix it through windows, what's a suitable, lite, basic registry program I can download?

thanks big time in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:12 am
Which Windows version are you running?
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:54 pm
Win98
Im running Win98
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:32 pm
Well, that eliminates using System Restore or XP's Recovery Console. I suppose if you had a Registry Backup, you wouldn't be asking how to fix your registry, so thats not a likely option either. Oh, well. There are a few things you can try. From DOS, at the "C:" prompt, enter, without the quotes but with sthe space before the slash, "scanreg /fix", then hit Enter. If that works, wonderful. If not, 98 actually should have what amounts to a Registry Backup. It can be employed from DOS as well; at the "C:" prompt, enter "scanreg /restore", again without the quotes, but be sure there is a space between the word "scanreg" and "/restore", then hit Enter. You should be presented with a choice of backups which should represent the last 5 times the system successfully booted. They should look something like "RB00x.*", where "x" is that backup's position in the sequence, and RB000.cab should be the most recent. You may have to try a few before you hit one that works. Note: you can go right ahead and run these commands from the "C:" prompt; you don't have to be in the C:\Windows\Command folder.

When you get things sorted out, have Windows make you an emergency boot disc, and learn how to back up your registry to disc, and keep a frequently updated registry backup handy.

And, of course, a full OS install disc is always a good thing to have. "When all else fails ... " is about when you realize you should have been a little more diligent with your backups. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies