18
   

THE THEIST OBSESSION . . .

 
 
georgeob1
 
  0  
Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 10:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'm genuinely amazed at how obsessed religionists are at the very thought of atheists. They obsess about atheists. They come here and start threads to tell us what's wrong with atheists. Many people here who identify themselves as atheists will go into threads by theists and vilify organized religion. However, i don't see them starting threads to tell the world what's wrong with theists. I jsut wonder why some theists get their little lacy panties in a bunch because of atheists.


Clearly our friend and provocateur Set is trying to amuse himself by stimulating a bit of conversation here. However, the duplicity and hypoctisy involved in the effort is too prominent to leave unnoted. Exchange a few contrary words, starting with theists and atheists. and the challenge would work just as well in the oposite direction. Indeed the evidence on these threads very strongly suggests the active intolerance here is very notably concentrated among the unbelievers, not the religionists as Set terms them. I wonder why they are so irritable and defensive.
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Sure, Buddy, whatever you say.

You're promoting a distortion. This thread asks why theists come here and register as new members, seemingly for the purpose of having it out with atheists. I've not seen atheists coming here and registering as new members, for the purpose of having it out with theists. I can think of only one such appearance recently, and that joker didn't last long. The more so as several of the long-term members who happen to identify themselves as atheists made fun of him. The most recently joined member (yesterday) who identifies himself as an atheist first asked if he should tell anyone. I answered on the basis of how he presented himself. He then suggested that i was being negative, and identified himself as an adolescent living at home, with devout christian parents. I suggested in that case that he not cause them unnecessary heartache. I then asked him two questions that i hoped would clarify the issue for him: "Do you love your parents?" "Do you want to hurt them for what is not really an important matter?" (My wording in the thread might have been slightly different, but not by much.)

Really, i don't see atheists flocking here to attempt to beat up on theists. But then, maybe you're just hoping to pick a fight, eh, O'George, like all those times when you attempt to suggest that i'm an authoritarian communist?
layman
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However, the duplicity and hypoctisy involved in the effort is too prominent to leave unnoted.


Very astute, George.
0 Replies
 
layman
 
  0  
Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I suggested in that case that he not cause them unnecessary heartache.


In fairness, I will say that I looked at that thread and thought your (second) response was quite reasonable (if perhaps atypical).
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  0  
Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 10:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Really, i don't see atheists flocking here to attempt to beat up on theists. But then, maybe you're just hoping to pick a fight, eh, O'George, like all those times when you attempt to suggest that i'm an authoritarian communist?


No, I just wanted to make a point that seemed (to me) to be both accurate and appropriate, while adding a bit of light hearted ironic balance to the stew, something that appeared needed and beneficial to me.

Your political views do appear to be well to the left of my own entirely reasonable and moderate ones, though I have never thought you were a communist. You can be a bit overbearing and authoritarian when aroused, but overall I believe you are a remarkably literate guy, gifted with the ability for incisive critical thinking, -- all admirable traits. That said, you do occasionally (such as this one) take rather strident positions that expose a degree of hypocrisy on you part -- not a particularly uncommon fault.

Overall I believe that the obsessive theist/obsessive atheist or anti religionist presences are about equal, and that the intolerance and narrowmindedness they exhibit are similar to a degree that would surprise both, if they took the trouble to see it as it is.
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 10:23 am
Atheists are viewed by believers as huge road bumps on the road to heaven, simply because they are atheists. No discussion changes that. Likely, to them, it's like eating pistachio ice cream and finding a few ball bearings in the carton.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 03:58 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
. . . political views . . . my own entirely reasonable and moderate ones . . .


Ah-hahahahahahahahaha . . .

You can't beat this place for free entertainment.
0 Replies
 
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Atheists are viewed by believers as huge road bumps on the road to heaven, simply because they are atheists. No discussion changes that. Likely, to them, it's like eating pistachio ice cream and finding a few ball bearings in the carton.
Let me be the first (maybe?) to welcome you back edger.

But I think atheists are way more palatable than ball bearings. Even J. C. said they were the ones he came for. I think I'd throw up if I had to listen to nothing but Christians saying 'Praise Jesus'.

I need a little pistachio crunch in my mint ice cream.
Frank Apisa
 
  0  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 02:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
Atheists constantly talk about being put-upon.

It makes them think they are courageous.

They are not especially put-upon...and frankly, there is much more castigation of theists by atheists in Internet forums than the other way around.

The point is: Atheists want to be thought of as scientific, logical...AND courageous for their atheism.

I think they missed three out of three on that account.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 02:47 pm
Ah, Frank the Pizza is now an expert on the content of all internet forums. How unsurprising to see him make such a claim.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 02:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ah, Frank the Pizza is now an expert on the content of all internet forums. How unsurprising to see him make such a claim.


I post in several forums...and that is what I see.

It certainly happens here that way.

Atheist want to be lauded for saying they are atheists. They want to be thought of as courageous...as defying convention.

The atheists here have lots of growing up to do.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 04:47 pm
Here is a thread from a recently arrived holy roller, who calls himself Johnjohnjohn The atheist challenge. He registered on September 1. Since he has been here, he has frequently made claims about atheists and what they think, as though they were some sort of monolith. I strongly suspect that that is why he came here, as it appears to be with many holy roller.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 05:16 pm
@Setanta,
The question is, to me, whether ever to bother to answer what I take as false, or engage in some online extravaganza. Depends on the subject.

There are reasons for each, but for me it is like the grunion (the religious certainty) beaching and all the fish chasing.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 05:51 pm
The holy roller i mentioned above has confirmed my suspicion:

http://able2know.org/topic/306537-1#post-6087260

Johnjohnjohn wrote:
I came to help atheists; you came to bash christians...

Is that not why you even clicked on this post?


Help atheists? No thanks, i don't need any help from holy rollers.

0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 07:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I meant to say all the fish chasing sand, but never mind, same idea.


Bye.
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 08:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
How do you know how a large group of people which , by your own repeated assertions doesn't include you, views anything? Can you speak for them?

You apparently don't see the absurdity of your claim that you know the thoughts of others while at the same moment claiming that those who believe the universe has a creator are credulous fools because they can't prove it.

Irritable, intense, and not very bright.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Graffiti wall is vandalised - Discussion by Robert Gentel
According to American Scientist... - Discussion by McGentrix
"God does not play dice": - Discussion by dinogruppuso
How do online shops know ... - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
Writing websites - Question by elenipissa25
Is your window clean? - Discussion by IRFRANK
Ain't It The Truth - Question by blueveinedthrobber
Public relations firm - Discussion by raja12
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/20/2019 at 07:58:35