THE THEIST OBSESSION . . .

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 01:36 pm
Just what we need! A thread for atheists to obsess over how obsessive theists are.

I love this thread.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:24 pm
A while ago, I started a thread about how non-stamp collection actually was a hobby. Guess what happened? Did all the non-stamp collectors get all bent out of shape about what I said? No, no one had any reaction or paid any notice.

Whatever I said about non-stamp collectors, no one cared. No one started threads defending non-stamp collectors, no one talked about how obsessive stamp collectors are to even suggest that non-stamp collecting was a hobby.

Obviously no one reacted because, in truth, non-stamp collecting is neither a hobby nor a religion. It is just people who don't collect stamps. There is no need for them to be defensive or make self-righteous responses about stamp collecting or non-stamp collection. That is why there are no threads defending non-stamp collectors.

If atheism were just a lack of belief in gods, the same way that non-stamp collecting is the lack of collecting stamps, then threads like this wouldn't happen.
0 Replies

kellirosej

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:49 pm
@Setanta,
https://www.facebook.com/ThePreachingAtheist
http://atheistethicist.blogspot.com/2007/06/preaching-atheism.html
http://www.alternet.org/story/150399/%22spreading_the_good_news_about_atheism%22%3A_why_we_need_atheist_ad_campaigns
http://www.npr.org/2014/02/26/281450206/ardent-atheists-spread-their-reverence-for-disbelief

I'll just leave these right here....

I think it is human impulse to want to share your own version of truth, no matter what side you land on. Almost universally, people of all beliefs take time and effort to explain themselves in hope of persuading others. If you truly believe your worldview is correct, why wouldn't you want to share? Especially if you feel it is literally a life or death issue. Perhaps this impulse may also explain why people take disagreements so personally. Is the behavior really so hard to believe?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:03 pm
Nobody here is obsessing . . . Max is just trying to pick a fight again, because it enrages him to be ignored.

Being able to find four evangelizing atheists means little in the face of the deluge of religionist web sites, and the hordes of Christians and Muslims who go from one site to another to drop off their propaganda and fight with others. I was mostly concerned with this site, the only site online i've seen where the holy rollers line up to rant the way they do here. I didn't suggest or even imply that there are no evangelizing atheists--it's a question of degree, and here, the religious loonies far outnumber anyone else interested in discussing what they believe . . . or what they don't believe.

Of course, as i've said so many time, this doesn't come up at all in real life--not for me, at any event.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
If you didn't want a fight, then you wouldn't have started a thread called "the Theist Obsession" that used the phrase "panties in a bunch".

I don't see what else you think this thread will accomplish.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:31 pm
Aw, poor Max . . . nobody wants to fight with him.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:32 pm
@Setanta,
And yet you keep responding....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:09 pm
But that's what you want, Max, that's what you need . . . apparently. You won't get a fight, though, Max. This is as good as it will get for you . . . poor bay-bee . . .
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
And you still keep responding.

As long as this is good for you...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:27 pm
It doesn't matter, Bright Boy. This was a question, and i've selected the answer. I suspect that, as usual, you haven't been paying attention and don't understand what is going on.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:30 pm
You start a thread targeting a group of people. You throw some punches. You call them childish names...

... and then you say you don't want a fight. That isn't very sporting of you Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:33 pm
This isn't a sporting event. Here, i'll go slowly:

I asked a question.

Someone answered the question, and i selected that response.

The a whiny little bitch who fears and hates women showed up attempting to pick a fight because, apparently, that's all he's got going for himself socially.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The a whiny little bitch who fears and hates women showed up attempting to pick a fight because, apparently, that's all he's got going for himself socially.

Ha Ha. Good one Setanta. You know I always like it a little rough.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 11:23 am
Well, I'm not obsessed.

I'm not.

I'm not.

I'm not.

Really.

Trust me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:08 pm
I didn't name any theists, and i don't know that i recall you having used this site as a pulpit to vilify atheists. I would remind you, as i have already pointed out, this thread was in the form of a question, which i find has been satisfactorily answered.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
I went back to the opening post and looked. I guess this was the question to which you refer;
setanta wrote:
I jsut wonder why some theists get their little lacy panties in a bunch because of atheists.

What was the answer you got, and to what degree was it satisfactory? I wonder because I have the same question about some atheists. You did point out some theist threads I hadn't noticed before, but, even with these, my impression is that, in proportion to their indicated nimbers out there, atheists appear about equally as likely to indulge in the behavior you identifies as theists. My experience has been that intolerance and prejudgment are rather uniformly distributed human failings, and this issue tends to confirm that.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:43 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
My experience has been that intolerance and prejudgment are rather uniformly distributed human failings, and this issue tends to confirm that.

I agree completely with this statement. However, the distribution of theists and atheists at this site, or at least the level of activity of the theists as compared to the atheists is greatly overbalanced toward the theists.

In threads which are questions rather than discussions, the author often (although not always) selects one post as the answer, and that is indicated by a red ribbon. I have selected a reply. It shouldn't be hard to find.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:50 pm
@Setanta,
You should realize that that red ribbon has zero utility in ending a discussion, or in changing anyone's mind. It is just a little gimmick to mark the answer that you like best.

If this discussion no longer interests you, you can run along (having already gotten the answer you were looking for). But there is no reason that the rest of us can't continue the discussion (i.e. food fight) that you intended to start here.

If you are no longer having fun on this thread, just stop responding.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
As a matter of fact, I believe most atheists have well thought out and highly moral standards made more laudable as they are developed without expectation of reward.

My comment was a feeble attempt at levity.

Mea Culpa.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
If you decide to stay, I would like to know what you have against lacy panties.