THE THEIST OBSESSION . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:11 pm
@neologist,
I don't know why you feel obliged to apologize. I exculpated you on this matter.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:14 pm
@maxdancona,
I know it was not directed at me...but I wanted to be sure I understood your question.

What were you asking again?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/32222519172_2/Hot-Sale-Free-Shipping-Hot-Women-Sexy-Lingerie-Lace-Panties-Underwear-Butterfly-Decor-Underpants-ASAF.jpg
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:22 pm
For those reasonable posters here who would like to continue to discuss the topic, i urge you to ignore the trolls.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:26 pm
@Setanta,
But you are so fun to play with Setanta. I don't want to ignore you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:27 pm
@Setanta,
Oh.
I thought I was excommunicated.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:29 pm
@neologist,
You need bishops or some other manner of high and mighty preacher for that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:41 pm
Why do some people see "trolls" everywhere?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
For the same reason atheist are obsessed with Christian; liberals with conservatives and vice versa; creationist with evolutionist and vice versa.
They are all conflicting points of view and humans are competitive animals.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 06:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That was beautiful Frank. Who can doubt thqat we are genetically disposed (designed ??) to love such things.
neologist

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 06:36 pm
@xingu,
Welcome back!
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 01:54 am
I always figured those that are obsessed with those who have a different worldview are often those that have no idea that their entire worldview might just be wrong, regardless of how much evidence they have gathered to support it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 03:24 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

That was beautiful Frank. Who can doubt thqat we are genetically disposed (designed ??) to love such things.

My feelings exactly, George! Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 02:13 am
Reported as spam. How's that for feedback.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:19 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:

A friend called me this week, a friend I've known since we were nineteen. So many mutual experiences, so many sorrows, so much good stuff, so much life.
We are in our seventies. Long talk.

I perceive her as a theist. She knows I'm not. We have never talked about it.
Of course you have talked about it. Otherwise you would not have perceived her as a theist. I guess you could have concluded that she was a theist if you saw a religious book in her house or observed her going to a church but I'm guessing you perceived it in everyday interaction if you have shared as much as you say.

The idea that theism does not affect your life outside of 'religious talk' is an overly limited conception of what theism ought to be.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Did you call me a liar?

I have known that woman for 55 years. Within the first five, I was a bridesmaid at her wedding, in a catholic church, right about the time I was leaving religion. No, we didn't talk about it at the wedding time, it was all about bride's maid dresses. If I say we have never talked about it since, I am not kidding. Your impertinence is noted. Your presumption is annoying.

She is into christmas decor, but I don't know her own takes after the wedding years, then or now at this point. Not my business. She has a fair sized family and is into making the good old house home. She is also very smart in science. Even I, long time non religion person, had put up a tree or two because I had lost my parents and still had family ornaments, and later, a nice big Opuntia ficus indica plant with some ribbons... for the season. Have you heard of Saturnalia?

The Opuntia was hard to drag in the house, took the both of us, oww-ie.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
You missed my point entirely. People communicate their beliefs in a hundred subtle ways without specifically making it the subject of conversation. I haven't talked about politics with most of my friends, but of course I know what theirs are and they know mine.

If you don't think this is true and If I take you at your word that the only clue you perceived about her being a theist is the fact that she was married in a church, then you don't have any basis for knowing whether she is a theist or not.

Sorry to have annoyed you.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
From 50 years of on and off communications, I still have no idea and won't ask. She rescues many animals, has illustrated childrens' books, and surgeons' books and a least one paleontologist's. I will guess she is a semi hemi demi believer, but I've no idea.

Also, I don't care. I'm simply answering your assumption that I must know.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

Also, I don't care. I'm simply answering your assumption that I must know.
I believe you. So we can be sure that neither you nor your friend has 'The Theist Obsession'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 09:20 pm
@ossobuco,
'K.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 03:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Many people here who identify themselves as atheists will go into threads by theists and vilify organized religion...I jsut wonder why some theists get their little lacy panties in a bunch because of atheists.

Yeah, I hear ya. I wouldn't even want to take a wild-ass guess why that could possibly be, eh?

One thing does seem certain though: Ya done been

VICTIMIZED, yet again, sho nuff.
0 Replies