How do you fatten up a cat?

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:51 pm
Our kitten is about 4 months old, and was the runt of his litter(but so cute!) He's on his way to being an average small male cat. We want to make him bigger. Are there vitamins for that? Special diets? He eats dry kitten food every day, and seems to like it better than the canned brands I've picked up(usually whatever's on sale...) He'll drink a saucer of milk sometimes, nibbles on tuna, also likes a lick of yogurt. Any ideas how to get him to eat more? Or what would help him grow into the largest cat possible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,825 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:58 pm
Is this what you want? I understand that there are a lot of problems with obese cats. Why don't you let kitty eat what HE wants?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQAwAwwcM*WlQz2jRDfXwJTZCISkGGp1EAnx3oHlVQW1gW9V2sWS0v0Q3hupKZcXfONUQwAvrLCsjIePeJQ6Fxm8UL9qVXb4HbpHmEzzkHREvAvTGYPe3b7f58!U610v*6mAc1R34hU/Fat%2520Cat.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:59 pm
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/March97/fatcats.hrs.html

Check this out, and you might have second thoughts!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
I don't understand why you want your cat to be large. Kittens 4 months old are all small as they are very active.

I have a 4 month old kitten as well and she is thin, but eats quite a bit. I never buy what's on sale because that stuff just isn't good for them.

I feed my kitten IAMS kitten food. It's a bit more expensive than the cheap unhealthy brands, but it goes a long way. I feed her the dry food and the wet one as well. She has a bowl of dry food always handy and can eat at any time and I give her a heaping teaspoon of the wet food twice a day. Keep the canned food in a handy container in the fridge and one medium size can lasts a good 3 days.
A bag of IAMS dry kitten food lasts a few months.
I would also cut out the milk. Milk in general can cause problems with cats. Water is just fine.
Make sure you only feed your kitten KITTEN FOOD for the first year of his life.
If your kitten was the runt, then he'll most likely always be on the smaller side, but a healthy cat is a happy cat.

Also a good healthy diet will make your cats fur beautiful.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:31 pm
Not obese, but zaftig. Think Arnold Schwatrzenegger, not Dick Cheney...

I remember having a black cat with rippling muscles, sort of a tom among toms, when I was a child... And since there is a scrawny male cat who thinks he is all that who comes around the yard, to keep him at a distance, I was thinking more along the lines of bulking Tux up...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:38 pm
Cat's are built a certain way, so what you see is pretty much what you get.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:43 pm
http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11505/normal_Mvc-010f%7E7.jpg

This is our kitten. She'll be 4 months next week and she actually looks bigger there than she is. She's fuffy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:57 pm
The title of this thread leads one to believe that someone is planning a cat meal down the road.

Isn't that illegal in the States?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:07 pm
Damn! I never thought of that Gus!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:14 pm
We must be forever vigilant, Montana, or else the cat-eaters like princesspupule will continue their reign of terror.

Say a prayer for your little white cat. (princesspupule may be looking in the window.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:17 pm
I will protect her with my life. Thanks for the heads up Gus ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
Your idol Arnold lucked out both with genes and with his prenatal environment. Unfortunately, your kitten came into your life with these boxes checked.

Montana has good advice. Gus's offerings, as always, are a little dubious--but well meant.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:55 am
Oh she is beautiful Montana. She looks just like my older kitty when she was a baby, very fluffy too. The one difference I see, my kitty has double paws, but besides that they could be the kitty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:24 am
Linkat
I fell in love with her instantly. She has these beautiful blue eyes that are to die for as well :-)
When we picked her up at the shelter, she had a good size scab under her eye and her fur was a bit ratty, but after a bath, eye cleaning with kitty eye wipes, and some brushing, she is now even more breathtaking. The scab under her eye is gone and her fur has gotten healthier with a good diet. She also has a great temperment and has brought a lot of joy into our home.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:28 am
What a face :-D

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11505/normal_Mvc-011f%7E9.jpg
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
I'll try him on a bag of Iams. We currently use Purina Kitten Chow. I live in the boondocks, but even out here, I have seen Iams... it's just twice as expensive as the other brands... But Tux is worth it. :wink:

Montana, you have a beautiful kitten!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:38 pm
Thanks very much. Yeah, I live in the boonies as well and I have to do some traveling just to get the IAMS. I know it's expensive, but it's well worth it. The way I see it is that cats don't eat that much anyway, so it never gets to be that expensive to feed them. Get the canned stuff too and give him a little twice a day and see what happens. My kitten loves the IAMS wet kitten food, so maybe Tux will like it as well. I was told by the people at the shelter that the purina kitten chow is not good, but since I had already bought a box before they told me this, I'm mixing the IAMS dry kitten food with the Purina until it's gone.

Have fun with your new kitty. I know we're enjoying the heck out of ours :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:41 pm
The only thing I was warned against can cat food from my vet is that the cat is more likely to develop bad gums and tarter build up. My vet suggests to feed dry cat feed for good dental health. I use Iams also.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:57 pm
Yes, their diet should mostly be dry food. Cali (my kitten) get very little wet food.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
The cat loves Iams. Thanks for the tip! He's eating twice as much as before! Smile
0 Replies