Judicial Terms

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:00 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Reference to Legal

Hi!

I am working on a custom scenario for one of my favorite strategy games, based on what goes on during the common criminal trial. My brain is not storming very well, though...

So I hope to get a list started of the most common terms one might hear during a trial. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:03 am
Here's a bunch:

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/legalterms.htm

Just pull out those that are applicable for your purposes. Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:01 am
Criminal law is generally defined by the state so be aware that some terms, such as indictment, are not universal (in some states, a prosecutor's information is used instead).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:29 am
I think that Gefilte Fish is judishal term.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:40 am
Quote:
I think that Gefilte Fish is judishal term.

LOOOOOL Very good!

Anyway, in a common criminal trial you got:
- at least one defendant who's innocent until proven guilty
- the defence (one counselor if a poor bastard, and at least five if a Godfather)
- the prosecution (that may represent either the state or the injuried/the family of the killed person etc)
- evidence: concrete objects (bloody gloves, guns) / testimony (by everyof the witnesses) / hear-say evidence (indirect testimony)
- witnesses
- jurors (12, in some criminal stories at least one of them is sent by the Godfather to corrupt the others - just look at John Gotti's trial in 1991)
- judge
Anything else... Well, *double jeopardy* is important - you cannot be charged for the same crime more than once... *Bail* is also important - the sum you pay to get out of jail... *Plea bargain* is in 90% of the cases important - you don't go to a trial and agree to plea guilty/reveal some background information about other crimes/criminals and get a shorter term in prison (Salvatore Gravano - a hitman of Cosa Nostra got 5 years for 18 murders)...
Uhm, well, if there's anything else i can tell you, just ask. Idea
0 Replies