Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 04:30 pm
If I could build and errect a straw that reached outer space, would the vacuum suck the atmosphere away from the earth through the straw?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 21
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 04:58 pm
@johnny840,
No. The air pressure in the bottom of the straw would be the same pressure as outside the straw.
neologist

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:00 pm
@johnny840,
Yes. But as soon as it got to outer space, earth's gravity would pull it back down. This would result in a chthonic vortex within the etheric plasm, causing considerable ruin to all left handed individuals living south of the equator. The possible harm to right handed individuals living north of the equator has yet to be determined and awaits analysis of quantum irrelevance.

I know this is only a partial answer; but I hope it helps. Please put your straw project on hold.
neologist

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:01 pm
@roger,
That's an overly simplified answer Very Happy
roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:04 pm
@neologist,
Is it wrong?
neologist

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:12 pm
@roger,
Well, I must admit my response about disturbances in the chthonic matrix is yet untested.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:16 pm
@neologist,
And I have to admit it was certainly more interesting.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:35 pm
@johnny840,
johnny840 wrote:

If I could build and errect a straw that reached outer space, would the vacuum suck the atmosphere away from the earth through the straw?

Think about it for a second. Straw or no straw, why doesn't the vacuum of space suck the atmosphere away anyway?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 06:39 pm
@FBM,
For sheer "common sense" I award you the coveted "Ms Farmerperson award for being able to understandably
explain physics to ones MOTHER"

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 06:44 pm
@neologist,
You get the HP Lovecraft award for just trying to sound too much like HP Lovecraft. (This is not good).
Or else youve been hanging out with Mick Dodge and believing him.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 06:45 pm
@roger,
you get second place, a load of virtual- mesquite will be delivered to your designated kiln
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 06:52 pm
@farmerman,
Is this a good thing, or something like an Ig Nobel?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:09 pm
@FBM,
no, yours is a good thing, a very coveted award. Neos, not so much. Roger, although he was correct , it wasnt as creatively direct
FBM

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
Just checking. I would have accepted it either way. Wink
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:21 pm
@FBM,
roger always get firewood from me.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:22 pm
@farmerman,
Hey, here's a scheme I read about in one of the Freakonomics books. There was research into the idea of something like giant inner tubes floating along in the ocean. They had long tubes deep into the ocean. Now, warm surface water would be splashed into the floating inner tubes, slowly forcing warm water below the surface. The warm water displaced the cold water at depth, resulting in a cooler surface, which was supposed to eliminate hurricanes.

I've no strong opinion on this one, but some parts of the world rely on hurricanes for the annual rainfall. If this thing were really effective, would it also affect the great ocean currents?

I did not make this up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

roger always get firewood from me.

I turn it into "Genuine Mesquite Charcoal" and sell it to Pennsylvania farmers. Hey, they have to have something to do with all that money.
neologist

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
I try to be helpful
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:34 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I turn it into "Genuine Mesquite Charcoal" and sell it to Pennsylvania farmers. Hey, they have to have something to do with all that money.

We all use gas now, charcoal is for cleaning up contaminated river water
roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 07:39 pm
@farmerman,
If you're going to do your cook out with gas, you might as well stay indoors and use the stove.