Is Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter" a Racist?

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:07 am
Is Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter" a racist? Even with a magnifying glass, Australian Aborigines can't be found on his personal staff or among Australia Zoo's other staff!
http://www.crocodilehunter.com/crocodile_hunter/about_steve_terri/

cavfancier

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:16 am
This has to be one of the biggest stretches I've seen in a while.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:02 am
I'd be more worried that his child appears to be a glove puppet in the photo on the site.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:10 am
Maybe the Aborigines have more sense than to earn a living wrestling with crocodiles and poisonous snakes!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:11 am
dlowan wrote:
I'd be more worried that his child appears to be a glove puppet in the photo on the site.

Laughing
0 Replies

LuckyChicken

Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:50 pm
Mmmmmm
ITts not surprising that there's no aboriginals on his staff, as aboriginals make up less then 2% of Australia's population and are mainly found in the Northern Terriroty, North Quensland and North Western Australia. Australia Zoo is in South Queensland, close to New South Wales. There's more chance seeing an Englishman, Asian, New Zealander and American playing snap then there is seeing an aboriginal.
0 Replies

gammin myall breed

Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
hi am aboriginal person who lives up the road from crocodile hunter.

aboriginal people live all over australia and there is an aboriginal population in south east queensland.

as for aboriginal people working at australia zoo, i dunno why that is so. the only thing i can put it down to is distance from work.

the zoo is in the hinterland of sunshine coast queensland, only 50 or so aboriginal people live in the area and do other work.

i do know that the zoo is planning on building an aboriginal cultural centre, i'd say they'd have aboriginal workers who are traditional owners working in the centre for authenticity purposes.

as for the rest of the aboriginal population, they live 1/2 hour to an hour or more away from the zoo and probably got work closer to home - that's if they work of course.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
Hi and welcome to both LuckyChicken and gammin_myall_breed. it's always good to have fresh input into the discussions.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:14 am
cavfancier wrote:
This has to be one of the biggest stretches I've seen in a while.

Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:25 am
Poor Steve. Hope he doesn't see this. He'd kill himself.

(He's a little emotional...)
0 Replies

phenom

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:23 pm
gammin_myall_breed wrote:
hi am aboriginal person who lives up the road from crocodile hunter.

aboriginal people live all over australia and there is an aboriginal population in south east queensland.

as for aboriginal people working at australia zoo, i dunno why that is so. the only thing i can put it down to is distance from work.

the zoo is in the hinterland of sunshine coast queensland, only 50 or so aboriginal people live in the area and do other work.

i do know that the zoo is planning on building an aboriginal cultural centre, i'd say they'd have aboriginal workers who are traditional owners working in the centre for authenticity purposes.

as for the rest of the aboriginal population, they live 1/2 hour to an hour or more away from the zoo and probably got work closer to home - that's if they work of course.

Luckychicken said "mainly" in the north. That doesn't mean all are in the north.

And just for my two bob, I think Steve Irwin's a bit of a tool and is just furthering the Crocodile Dundee stereotype. Razz

Do you know how many people in England asked me when I went over if we have kangaroos for pets?? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:30 pm
Lol - cringe-making, isn't it????
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:33 pm
Only problem for me is that I have known lots of folk who work for WIRES - the wild-life rescue folk - so, many a person has turned up for dinner etc with a joey, or baby wombat, or some other waif, in a pillow case firmly attached to their person, as they bring up the babies. So - my place has not infrequently had all kinds of wildlife roaming it.

But - not for pets, of course - they are returned to the wild...
0 Replies

phenom

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
We have the odd kangaroo hoppin around because apparently the Port Stanvac Oil Refinery keeps some wildlife on it's property to prove that they're not harmful & dangerous! Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:57 am
phenom wrote:
Do you know how many people in England asked me when I went over if we have kangaroos for pets?? Rolling Eyes

That's crazy! Everyone in England should know that kangaroos are too big, and that you all keep wallabies instead.
0 Replies

arsely

Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:02 am
RE stve irwin not a racist
I can't believe some of you people.

Steve Irwin (although he might seem nutty at times) is dealing with a great issue in the world that many can't be bothered with- saving animals.

Now i'm not the person that will aid a sick wallaby back to perfect health, but i have the common sense to realise the Steve is a noble man.

As for calling him racist for not hiring aboriginals at Australia Zoo, i'de never felt so offended. Just because he has no aboriginals working at Australia Zoo doesnt make him a racist, perhaps theres just no aboriginals around that want to work in that zoo, or work at all for that matter. A lot of aboriginal people don't need to work because they live off the government taxes, money supplied by the working White Australians.

So it is ignorant and stupid to call Steve Irwin a racist for this matter.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
phenom wrote:
We have the odd kangaroo hoppin around because apparently the Port Stanvac Oil Refinery keeps some wildlife on it's property to prove that they're not harmful & dangerous! Laughing

Some time ago I was showing a Candian friend around South Australia and we were n Leigh Creek township. I was banging on about how people from outside Australia thought that kangaroos were hopping down the main streets of our towns. Right then she indicated to my right and asked, "Like that kangaroo?" I looked over and fair dinkum and crikey there was a young kangaroo lolling about on the school oval. Must have been a full foward because it was hanging about in the goal square (typical showboat full foward).

As for Steve Irwin Has he refused to employ an aboriginal person simply because they were aboriginal?
0 Replies

littleozzybloke

Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
croc man
Laughing poor ole steve, he's a bit of a giggle hey....strange how some percieve how we are down here....i'm a white aussie, born n bred here...i live in sth east queensland about a spit from steves zoo..neat place....

but let me tell you..we have aboriginals all over our country....their not just out there in the 'outback' as wild bush natives that run around naked, with a lizard in one hand and a witchetty grub in the other throwing boomerangs at each other......those days are gone....(which is a little sad, their past history is being lost, and now a lot of indigenous children grow up in a white world with little knowledge to their dreamtime past)

a lot of our indigenous people are employed in many positions within government and local councils,as well as their police and welfare organisations....

steve goes away a lot working up north in the bush with these people catching and tagging crocs...he's a country boy and he knows the experience these people have in their own lands..

my bit... Cool
0 Replies

Anthony B

Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
Hello there... I must admit that I'm breaking a rule of mine because I came on to this topic by way of a search I was doing. lol I run a Crocodile Hunter fan forum and was checking on my search listing. In other words I'm not sure what this board is about or what the rules are.

Anyway, I wanted to ask why it is that when ever some one like Steve Irwin is given the spot light people clam he is harming Australia by being over the top. I mean come on.. Any one with a brain knows that just because Irwin is a wacky and over the top it doesn't mean that everyone in Australia are the same way.

Those who do believe that are weak minded or other wise useless and should be mostly ignored anyway. regardless, those who watch the show know that Steve is not like all Australians because he is not the only one on the show.

Not even Steve is like Steve when he isn't talking to the camera. lol

I'm going to take a look around now so I can figure out what I'm posting to. :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
Hi AnthonyB, and welcome to A2K. I hope you like it here, and that you stick around.

I for one, don't go for the stereotypical thing about Steve and Australia.
I know full well that they wear sporty little beards and create HUGE paintings, using 6 inch wide paint brushes. They all know how to use a didgeridoo, and spend their time drinking cold lager and eating vast quantities of meat from the barby.

....and as for the MEN.................
0 Replies