Tiger Woods, Ernie Els speak out against new technology

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:44 pm
from Sport.telegraph

Woods and Els speak out against spread of new technology
By Lewine Mair
(Filed: 20/07/2004)

Tiger Woods and Ernie Els have called for action to curtail the advance of modern technology.

What worries Woods and Els is the extent to which the best players are finding it harder to separate themselves from the rest. They have been pointing to how so many more professionals are able to stay in touch with the leaders as superior equipment effectively makes up for inferior technique. Lesser players are not being found out as they used to be.

Officials admitted the concerns of Woods, Els and Charles Howell III at yesterday's R & A briefing following the Open, saying their main worries were about large-headed drivers and balls which travel further but spin less and stay straighter.

Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R & A, was inclined to agree with the findings of Woods and Co. He talked of how he had watched 100 or so players on the range at the recent Amateur Championship at St Andrews and found it far harder to pick out the class players than would have been the case 30 years ago.

When the R & A act, they want to get it right and they have to be 100 per cent certain that the part played by new equipment is not exaggerated. Woods himself, as Dawson was saying, has helped to raise the game to new levels, showing the rest what can be done by working on a combination of technique, mind and fitness and strength.

The magic which Woods has so often demonstrated in holing the difficult par putt and his share and more of chips would seem to have proved catching, with the R & A saying that they had never seen so many holed long putts, chips and second shots at an Open.

High up on the list was the second which Davis Love made at the 72nd for an eagle - and the 40-footer which Lee Westwood holed across the home green to snatch Love's fourth place.

Just in case anyone should point to Todd Hamilton as one whose result had most to do with the latest in equipment, it should be remembered that the American was wielding an iron off most tees as he endeavoured to steer clear of Royal Troon's bunkers.

Though Hamilton's hat bears a TaylorMade R7Quad logo, he has not yet switched to this club which, with its movable weights, accounted for 27 of the company's winning total of 61 drivers at Troon. Unlike Goosen, who got everything sorted out in a day or so before winning the US Open and the Smurfit European Open with the implement, Hamilton has still to establish how and where the weights work best for him.

The R7Quad is the latest in drivers and the players would be foolish not to take advantage of it. However, Dawson insists that the equipment issue is not approaching "crisis level" in that everyone, including the manufacturers, has the game's interests at heart.

That said, the ball is very much in the R & A's court - and if they believe some of the wisest men in the game, including Jack Nicklaus, the ball is where they are most likely to find the best answer. Not least in terms of repercussions in the law courts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:20 pm
I don't see a problem. If a superior player users superior equiplment then what's the problem? He will still beat a lesser player using the same equipment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:44 pm
It takes more talent to use old style balls. You have to learn more tricks. Same with clubs. If a standard were set that everyone could agree on, it might then be okay to use the new stuff - or not.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:53 pm
Sounds like Tiger and Ernie are biting the hand that feeds them. They both used all sorts of new technologies when they came into the PGAa nd both have lines of clubs made with the latest and greatest that they promote.

I didn't watch the Open but from the highlights I saw it looked like the course itself was the problem more than anything else. Equipment doesn't get that many people chipping into the cup from off the green or sinking 30+ foot putts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:59 pm
The new balls run straighter, meaning it takes less skill to push them, as an instance of why technology may or may not be for the best. All I am arguing for is a standardized set of regulations. There are (he he) no corked bats in baseball. The footballs all have to be the same. Why not golf equipment?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:05 pm
I hear ya! There are a lot of standards for golf equipment. Golf balls are one item that has a lot of rules around it. There are also all sorts of ruless covering club design (head size, shaft length, Coefficient of Restitution, etc..).

The USGA develops standards and people figure out how to eek max performance out of equipment that meets those standards.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:27 pm
i agree with everyone here, especially nickfun. i play with a mixed bag of clubs. cast-offs from friends who want to try the newest and supposedly best equipment. i still kick their butts on a consistant basis. last sunday i played with a friend who's a fairly decent golfer shoots about 90. he had just bought a new set of clubs and irons, he shot a 65 on the back nine. he thinks the clubs did him in Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:50 am
You have to learn how to use the new equipment by consistently practicing. This may mean unlearning a few tricks that work on the old equipment.
0 Replies