Idle thoughts about the internet...

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:57 am
What did we all do BEFORE the internet? (if you can remember)
Did we get more work done? Did we watch more tv? Did we spend more time reading newspapers and books?

Also, does the world seem smaller to you now? I mean, now that you can communicate with anyone anywhere at anytime?
Have we really become one big online community?

Has the internet made your life better.....or more complicated?

I thought about doing a poll...but I'd rather just hear some thoughts from other posters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 989 • Replies: 15
No top replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:00 am
Forget that. What did I do before today when I found this place?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
Re: Idle thoughts about the internet...
Earthbound Angel wrote:
What did we all do BEFORE the internet? (if you can remember)
Did we get more work done? Did we watch more tv? Did we spend more time reading newspapers and books?

Probably. Also spent a lot more time going to the library and looking through reference materials for answers to questions. Easy access to authorative reference info is, IMHO, the best thing about the Internet.

Quote:
Has the internet made your life better.....or more complicated?

Neither. It's just different. Some things are easier, some are more complicated. On the balance I think it's a status quo move.
0 Replies

Earthbound Angel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:07 am
smog ~ answer your own question then...what DID you do?

I see you just joined today, and you already have 43 posts. You obviously are a candidate for internet addiction.

Smile
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:15 am
Before the internet, I still really didn't get much done. But, my life was kinda rough around then, so I'm not going to say that there is a relation between no internet and productivity. I mostly watched TV to pass the time then, though.

In a way, the world seems smaller and more easily accessible to me since I started going internet crazy some years ago. But recently, I have become more able to use all the resources the internet has to offer, and I'm almost feeling overwhelmed with how much information there is. Even just looking at all the posts in this forum, and all the other forums out there makes me think about just how MUCH I am still missing despite the internet's benefits.

But, I would say that the internet has made my life better. Just knowing that so much is out there, even if I will never even come close to knowing it all, is worth it. And, there are some people who would say that to go out into the world and experience it all first-hand is much better, but I think that it is wonderful to sit in this chair and just think about everything that can be done.

As for what I did before today, well, I played various online games, mostly, and read a bit. I'm a generally lazy person, I suppose. I'll continue up my other stuff soon enough, I am sure, but I already enjoy this forum so much that I will need at least a couple days to just sit here.

And yes, I would say that I qualify as a person with "internet addiction." =)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:46 am
I enjoyed my life before the internet. But life as a writer was a bitch before computers. As many may recall, we used typewriters. One mistake and the whole page was ruined. If you wanted to add something mid-page you would have to discard your work and start over. If you lost your paper there was no hope of having a copy on disc. Life is better now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:08 am
After I retired, I was heavily into ceramics, and made a lot of pretty decent pieces, if I should say so myself. I really was getting quite expert at it, and even won a prize at a show.

As soon as I got on the internet, it was as if I were a kid that was let loose in a candy store. I was always a curious person, but the internet allowed me to take my curiosity to greater heights.

First I found Abuzz, and then A2K. With these forums, I was exposed to areas of life that I had heretofore never experienced. One of the things that I love best is to research a question of which I know little; I then immerse myself in the subject. I think that my life has become richer, and my knowledge more varied because of the net.

I also love the fact that I can interact with people from all over the globe, from different backgrounds, and varying ages. I like the idea of being able to share my experiences with younger people, so as to give them a different perspective, and vice versa.

I have become more sophisticated in financial matters, due in great part to the net. The information that is available at the touch of a mouse is mind-boggling. When I want to read a book, I even reserve it from my library through the net. I check into the credentials of every doctor that I see, and check out every medication that is prescribed. I read the news from all over the world. I compare prices for items from different stores.

I could go on and on for pages. All I can say, is that I don't know what I ever did without the internet!
0 Replies

Earthbound Angel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
wonderful replies people!!
Smile

ok, how about this...

Has the internet caused any problems in your personal life?
For example, arguments over time spent surfing, or online relationships?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:44 am
Before the internet, i played RPG's and got stoned. Now, i hardly have time to play RPG's . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:45 am
I was born curious and the internet was a breath of fresh air for me. I also love talking with people from all over the world. Every time I'm curious about something, I just search until I find my answer. I think that's awesome.
When I first bought my computer, I did neglect a little housework since it was hard to pull myself away from the box, but I'm not on here nearly as much as I use to be, so that's not a problem anymore.
Like Phoenix, I also found Abuzz and then strolled on over to A2K, where I continue to enjoy my internet family :-D
I moved to Canada from the US a little over 4 years ago and it's also great to be able to keep in touch with my old friends.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:48 am
Quote:

Yeah- I can be on A2K writing a response to a thread. Then my husband will want me to drop everything to look something up for him, the implication being what he needs is more important that what I am doing! Evil or Very Mad

I am not interested in any online relationships that are more than casual friendships, so ths never is a problem!
0 Replies

Earthbound Angel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:56 am
Setanta wrote:
Before the internet, i played RPG's and got stoned. Now, i hardly have time to play RPG's . . .

good. I'm glad you still keep your priorities in order. Cool
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:18 pm
Earthbound Angel wrote:
wonderful replies people!!
Smile

ok, how about this...

For example, arguments over time spent surfing, or online relationships?

Well, with the internet came the drunken email.

And angry letters to ex-girlfriends are harder to do by hand--you write for about two pages and realize some of the things you are saying are mean and counterproductive, wheras in an email...click, and eff you baby!
0 Replies

Earthbound Angel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
Gargamel ~ ain't that the truth!
I recently ended a relationship doing just what you said...venting while drunk.
And damn if I could figure out how to get that email back once I'd pressed SEND.

Tanqueray + impulsivity + computer = a whole lot of hurt feelings
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
I always reserve e-mail for private communications with a select few whom i consider to be genuine friends.

I prefer a public forum such as this to excoriate and vilify others . . .
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:59 pm
Quote:
I prefer a public forum such as this to excoriate and vilify others . . .

And you are very adept at them both.... Laughing

Before the Internet....
I had love, joy, peace, and a measure of solitude. I enjoyed respect,
read books frequently, and played SuperNintendo with my grandson.

Since the internet, I suffer-
and try to use the internet to find a way to STOP the suffering,
and suffer some more.
0 Replies