Hiko-8

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 05:47 pm
Hi, I'm asking this question for a class assignment and would greatly appreciate it if you could answer as soon as possible. I would prefer the answer be as short as possible. Thanks!

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 05:54 pm
@Hiko-8,
The answer is - how haven't they?

I am not talking about the labor of slaves (although that is not to be discounted), but look at the dialogue on race that was opened up in the 1960s. It wasn't just about people of African descent, and some of it was also about the power of the people to effect change. The Civil Rights movement led pretty directly to Stonewall.

Now, what grade are we going to get?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 06:06 pm
@Hiko-8,
Google Crispus Attucks for a start.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 06:54 pm
@Hiko-8,
This is more than one homework question.
After you get whatever grade, and are at your leisure, I suggest looking into the matter harder, and, given you are busy, gradually. There is a lot to learn.
Hiko-8

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
The class I'm taking is African American history so I'll get a lot deeper into the subject. This was an assignment to as the public what their opinion is. If you could state your opinion that would be great.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:06 pm
@Hiko-8,
My opinion would be too long (I am book writing capable) and neither of us have the time.

Go read.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:16 pm
@Hiko-8,
ahhhh I think I get it. You're supposed to ask people what they think and then your class will teach you the real deal (hopefully) and then you can compare and contrast what people think with what you learned.

The problem is that you've hit a website with some super-verbal and super-opinionated people.

Jespah's answer is definitely a good one to work with.

(now I'm going to try and think of a short, somewhat meaningful response of my own)
Hiko-8

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Ya, that's exactly it. Thanks.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:33 pm
@Hiko-8,
ok

I'm going to cheat and give you two takes on the question.

1. the economic effect of not having to pay servants by having slaves instead allowed the US to become a strong and independent country when it might not otherwise have been possible, or sooner than it might have happened

2. I think the effect on American society of the history of having taking advantage of slave labour continues to be enormous. The friction between races in America is more pronounced than it is in some other developed countries and I believe it comes from that background.

___

I hope those are short enough Smile

Good luck with your assignment!
Hiko-8

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for your answers, they're great~
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, sometimes how sharp you are astounds me.

Not to suck up, just regular awe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:57 pm
May the bird of paradise fly up your nose,
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:03 pm
@ehBeth,
What developed countries are you talking about? The US has a great amount of "friction" because we talk about it. This is due to the civil rights movement that didn't take place in the same way in other countries. I think in many other developed countries there is a great deal of racism, perhaps more than in the US, but that it is hidden.

In Europe you see White soccer fans throwing bananas at Black athletes. You don't see that in the US these days. In the Netherlands White people still dress up in Blackface to celebrate Christmas...

I think this US is doing a better job dealing with racial issues then most developed countries.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:21 pm
sure hope this wasn't a case of spam call and response.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 09:46 pm
@Hiko-8,
They have had a significant impact and enriching effect on the development of our music and musical forms.
0 Replies

Carthorse

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 06:09 pm
@Hiko-8,
They add to the numbers of the population, they contribute to the way the population looks. Cultural influences from Africa, like voodoo drumming in New Orleans.
Glennn

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 09:15 pm
@Carthorse,
Quote:
. . . like voodoo drumming in New Orleans.

Like building the White House--the symbol of freedom . . . of all things.
0 Replies