i feel silly asking this but..what is stud service for dogs?

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:22 pm
i feel silly asking this but what is stud service for dogs? i came across that at a website i went to looking for pics of rat terriers. so if anyone could tell me what that is i would really appreciate it!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,952 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:30 pm
A stud, in the prosaic definition, and not the snickering sexual connotation with which you may be familiar, is a male animal which is hired for the purpose of breeding. This is based on an assumption that the male has particular traits which are desireable. For example, a stallion winning the Kentucky Derby can earn millions when it is put out to stud. In dogs, stud fees are paid because of a number of generations of verifiable descent in a popular breed; i once briefly kept dairy goat geneologies for a farmer, because the verifiable assertion that a ram is descended from high milk producers makes him more expensive when sold, and eligible for stud services. If they produce daughters with high milk production records, that is put in the document as well. A dog which is descended from, or better yet, is the winner of any dog shows commands a higher fee for stud services.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:28 pm
Stud dogs have that certain aura. They exude confidence.

http://www.zivart.com/pictures/bigones/bull-dog.jpg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
Stud service for dogs is offering your male dog to owners of female dogs (to start litters of puppies) for a fee.

Often the fee is dependent on the birth of healthy puppies.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:10 am
Dog Stud Service
It's real simple. Male dogs are available for breeding with female dogs to produce litters of puppies. Matching male and females of the same breed helps to ensure that the puppies will be the same breed as well. Vets, dog trainers and pet store workers can answer other questions you may have.
Good luck.
If you are a minor or underage, talk with your parent or teacher about this subject.
0 Replies